Note to New Members ×

Help! Need boot part!

Mike T

I was checking out all of my gear last weekend, geeting ready for the season, and lo and behold - my left Suzuka is missing a part!

It's the joint between the upper and lower shell onthe outside of the boot - not the adjustable cant device. See circled part in attached picture.

Bomber is out of them till late Nov./early Dec. I would really rather not ride softies until then. So, if anyone has the spare part in question, or a 'spare parts pair' of AF/Suzuka/Indy shells (size 25 preferred, 26/27 next preference, other sizes after that) or even an old set of size 25 shells you'd like to sell, please let me know, I'd like to work something out ASAP.

Thanks!

(Or, if anyone has successfully replaced this using parts from a hardware store, please do tell!)

post-48-141842220374_thumb.jpg

If anyone has an old set of Suzuka/AF600/AF700/Indy shells, size 25, that they want to get rid of, I'd still be interested in buying them. I rode SB series for years and always had a 'spare parts' pair. I am willing to pay for anything with both the upper and lower shell pieces intact, and the outside joints, and at least half of the "buckles". Adjustable cants are a plus but I have one of those at home. Heel pads, toe pads are not needed - and I use a BTS so RAB/5pos lean are not needed. Of course I will take 'em if they're still there.

I can buy outright or trade certain TD2 parts, other boot spare parts, an old pair of F2 bindings - I'm sure we can work something out.

Mike,

I have to apologize!!! I just got home and checked and I don't have that exact piece. I only have 4 of the cant adjuster pieces. I am wondering now what happened to the either pieces. Because I knew that I have 4 pieces, I thought it's 2 of each, but unfortunately not. I am not sure what to say, but I am really sorry that I got your hopes up. Hopefully you are not mad.

Ray

I lost that too due rivet inside boot breaking and i'm now in process to replace that with proper fix with nut and bolt :ices_ange

Will shoot some photos, hopefully during weekend.

Luckily i have spare Indys in case of snow come, which unfortunately will not happen here now :angryfire

I lost that too due rivet inside boot breaking and i'm now in process to replace that with proper fix with nut and bolt :ices_ange

Will shoot some photos, hopefully during weekend.

Luckily i have spare Indys in case of snow come, which unfortunately will not happen here now :angryfire

Hmm.... common problem?

I loko forward to seeing what you come up with, and may spend some time next weekend trying to come up with a soluation of my own. I did afterall spend a lot of time riding on but-and-bolted SB cant cuffs!

Mike, don't loose sleep over this.

If we are nearing "Opening" and you have not found a part or solution. I will take the parts off one of my boots.

Can you take the good one off and photograph it just to make sure we are clear about the part you need.

Please don't describe it, just photograph it.

Thanks, Bryan

Hmm.... common problem?

I loko forward to seeing what you come up with, and may spend some time next weekend trying to come up with a soluation of my own. I did afterall spend a lot of time riding on but-and-bolted SB cant cuffs!

Yes. Especially among those that are heavier and or ride allot of days.

I do have some photos of the "Nut and Bolt" fixes. I will see what I can find.

You definitely want a spare in your travel bag. FYI

Robert, it was the cant adjuster side that broke on my Indy's. The back of the "nut" (round nut/washer with one edge sliced off) broke off but remained in the boot. The rest of the pieces are still on the mountain. Ruined one of the best days of the year. I made temp repairs by welding the nut back together and modifying some parts from an old pair of 125's. It worked until I got replacement parts from Bomber. I now keep the parts and pieces I modified with me just in case.

The Dirt Bag Fix, the first washer is sized to fit inside boot recess to prevent the Tee nut from 'wiggling', the second washer was just to take up excess bolt length with out dremelling or hacksawing,

My first try with this lasted about six hours before coming undone, the one pictured has lasted 50 plus riding days after a healthy application of blue loctite on the threads, therefore havent bothered trying to get stock parts.

Sorry cant remember sizes of what I used,

Dave*

post-93-141842220392_thumb.jpg

Mike

Check over on extremecarving, I seem to remember a thread where one of the guys carved a piece out of aluminum and used a countersunk bolt to replace this exact broken part. Should not be that hard to fabricate.

Were you thinking of this one?

http://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1552

I'd love that but a machine shop is not something that I have access to. However I might be able to cobble something similar using part of the extra cuff cant that I do have.

Mike,

My boots alwyas break at the hinge. Now I have a full size rivot from a boot fitter. (surefoot) When they break on the road I could always find what I need at local hardware stores. I would usally have to grind a flat spot on a washer to drop right in that half moon shaped piece. Since its the outside You dont have to replicate the cant just line that bad boy up and T-nut it from the out side if you have the correct length screw if not find a tnut that fits in the half moon and run the bolt from the inside if every thing fits inside that half moon shape you should get by intil the replacement part shows up. I think I only have one stock rivot in my current pair of Indys. I of course am to lazy to shrink-post pics. but I can sent you some via e-mail. It does however look just like your boots with black rivots Plus a extra few rivots to stiffen up the boot for me abit!!! :biggthump

iTS AN EASY FIX YOU'LL BE BACK OUT SOON :D

Mike, don't loose sleep over this.

If we are nearing "Opening" and you have not found a part or solution. I will take the parts off one of my boots.

Can you take the good one off and photograph it just to make sure we are clear about the part you need.

Please don't describe it, just photograph it.

Thanks, Bryan

Unfortunately, the remaining good one is riveted on and removing it would break it. I am gussing the replacement part is a bolted on version - similar to the way the original cuff cants aren't really removable on the SB series but the replacement ones are?

Look like hack city for me!

First photo - inside of boot, showing t-nut from a cant cuff assembly (the part pictured in Bola's replay, and the same that Ray has a stock of)

Second photo - outside of boot, showing filed-down large washer and hex cap bolt with 4mm head - leftover from my days of repairing SB series cant cuffs (see http://www.alpinecarving.com/hiroshi_cant/)

Thanks to Dave*, Bordy, and everyone else for the suggestions! I will pick up more parts and keep 'em in my car in case of a blowout on the hill.

post-48-141842220441_thumb.jpg

post-48-141842220443_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

The same part on my other boot came close to failure while at Snowperformance camp. I caught it before it blew out this time. The outer piece had pulled almost all the way through the rivet and was hanging on by a last bit of metal. I will take some pics of the parts sometime over the next few days and post them.

I also found some nice sturdy T-nuts at the local hardware store and am using those instead of the cannibalized adjustable cant mechanism. It's holding up really well and appears not to be prone to the same failure as the original part.

One thing though... the ideal washer is a 1 1/8" (or whatever metric is close enough) outer diameter aluminum washer. I had one lying around the garage for the original repair. I've only been able to find nylon washers in that size - does anyone know where I might be able to get some aluminum ones? I'll measure the inner diameter and post it. The nylon washer I am using on the 2nd one is sturdy but thick and it forces me to tighten the whole assembly more than I want to, which will lead to it unthreading as I flex the boots forward while riding. Needless to say I will be keeping an extra replacement assembly on me at all times until I can find a thinner metal washer (and even then, the replacement parts will be in the car)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Perhaps, my guess is Fin is running in overdrive with little hope of shifting down any time soon. For now it will be left up to the excellent craftsmen here at BOL!

Really nice work Bill, exactly what I would expect from you! Got the new shop all dialed in? Thanks, Bryan