Note to New Members ×

Dee-luxe or UPZ

TrenchDigger

I have not sold my Indy's yet but will be reposting them later with actual pictures instead of the stock Manufacturer picture (that should help sell them). I am wondering if anybody has any experience with these two boots? I wore the Indys for about two hours for one day. I Loved the stiffness, it transfered the feel very nicely. I was able to go from edge to edge very well due to the crazy forward lean of the Indys. The fit was horrible though. I followed the directions from the Bomber site and did the outline of the foot thing, then measured that. The 28's I ordered were WAY too small.

From a little research that I did, I read that the UPZ are much wider and have a little better arch. If anyone has any experience with the UPZ please let me know what you think about them. I would order the Indy again but in a larger size, obviously.

Thanks,

TrenchDigger

<!-- / message -->

I love to "get head". Heard some good things about there boots too.

TrenchDigger

i want to see the I Heart Head stickers out for their hardboots. i got one for their skies and have it on my longboard. needless to say i get a few coments from it now and then.

I like UPZs because of their wider construction, but yes, their liners do suck. i replaced mine with a set of thermoflex liners and was amazed at the improvement. it was like getting a brand new pair of boots.

as for the cold factor, i have had some trouble with my shells getting a little stiffer on cold days, but the midwest boilerplate ice requires a little stiffness anyway so i cant complain.

I really like the UPZ boots, well, “shells” a lot. Agree, the original liner is really not the greatest, but that’s the case with almost all liners out there. Especially if you have “special” feet! I learned several years back, that no matter what original shell/liner I used, they all didn’t work great with my feet/ankles. Even the Thermoflex liner was not helping all to much (They packed out on me after riding a couple of hours). Ever since I use foam injected liners (Strolz), I can pretty much use any boot shell there is.

I think, it’s more the liner/insole combination (with some good boot fitting skills, if needed) what makes all shells out there work… at that point it’s back to preference again, what shell design/mechanism delivers what power transformation/flex pattern…

I have wide feet. EE hockey skates. I ordered UPZ boots using the foot outline method of sizing. The first day on them, I had to quit because of the pain. Dan Yoja took them back with only a 10% restocking fee which I thought was very fair considering I did scratch them a bit. Because of that experience, I won't buy boots online. Got to try them on.

I bought Raichle 324s after I returned the UPZs. I had no problem with width even with the standard, non-thermo liners. Then I bought some thermo-fit Intuition liners and have gone back and forth between the two liners with no real difference. I know a lot of guys rave about thermo liners but I feel no difference.

I also bought some old Line boots for $25 off Bomber a couple of years ago. These were made under the name Line, Blax, Oxygen and, I think, DSM. I bought them on a flyer thinking if they don't fit, I only lose $25. They ended up fitting perfectly and I used them exclusively last season.

Unless your feet are hugely wide, I don't think you'll have a problem with Raichles.

and i am looking hard for new boots. it doesn't help that i need size 30.5 for length as well. even in just a shell fit my feet are snug side by side. my raichles were my first hardboots, and i destroyed them in two seasons, blew out the buckles and the foreward lean lock, on the inside. i would definitly recomend buying the higher end deeluxe boots if you choose to go that route, because the shell plastic is of a much higher quality, as well as the hardware.