Note to New Members ×

Jackets - Helmet compaitble with Powder skirt...?

Guest thomas_m

Guest thomas_m

Crossposted from the Splitboard site on the off chance that someone here knows of such a jacket....

I'm having a hard time finding a good jacket that is both helmet compatible and has a powder skirt... Most serious climbing jackets work with helmets but don't have powder skirts. Most serious BC ski/snowboard jacket have powderskirts but smaller hoods...

Currently using an Arcteryx Sidewinder which is great except for the tight hood and color (dark green, very stupic for BC use).

At this point, I'm thinking of just getting a climbing jacket that fits and seam taping in a homemade powderskirt.

FWIW, this is for the PacNW where it'll have to deal with some rainy/misty days as well as snow.

UPDATE- I've found two possibilities, Cloudveil RPK a Goretex softshell and the Marmot Resolution a Goretex hardshell. The Marmot doesn't say it's helmet compatible but I tried one at Marmot Mountainworks and it was OK.

TIA,

Thomas

Guest thomas_m

Hi Bola! The current Sidewinder was a present. I failed to designate a color when I was writing my list for Santa last year and she knew my favorite color was green, so...

Mine is a Sidewinder AR with the stowable hood. I'll try the SV too which might have a bigger hood. I'll check see if I can rustle up a Scorpion too. Very pricy but looks like a killer peice of gear. Comes in that nice bright red too. Given the tree-well situation here, I want to be as easily seen as possible.

You'd think big hoods would be standard on BC jackets but I guess everyone isn't as blessed with early/late season rain like we are here...

Best,

T.

Any of the Karbon jackets will work very well. In addition to having a huge removable hood that covers any helmet, they have an excellent powder skirt, and when the warm weather rolls around the sleeves zip off and store in a pocket on the back. They are definitly one of the best values on the market. Too many pockets to know what to do with...One on the left sleeve near the wrist, two exterior breast pockets, an interior mesh radio pocket on each side, and a water resistant personals pocket also on the interior, and also the large sleeve pocket on the back. It's a very good jacket, Im on my second one now.