Note to New Members ×

In helmut speakers

Bobby Buggs

Willy I walked away from the wireless for the same reason. Ended up going audex sub tantrum. I will be watching this thread for the same answer for next year. I have snaged the wire in the trees before. Breaks every time, It would suck if it didn't. Wireless would be sweet.

maybe I'm missing something here. why would they produce a helmet with wizz bang new technology and there's no real equipment that supports it ?

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=496339#comments

I don't care about answering my cell phone on the chairlift wirelessly. I loath the folks walking around with that little cyborg motorola/bluetooth bat wing on thier ear chatting it up on thier celly with thier celly in thier pocket.

How hard can it be to produce an mp3 player that can run STEREO to headphones from the player with no wires?

:freak3: :freak3:can you hear me now ? :argue:

post-123-141842220471_thumb.jpg

Those Burton jackets etc look cool but have you ever priced out a Burton audio jacket???? they are like 6-800 bucks........not worth considering you can get a fully taped North Face XCR for around the same price...No comparision in the quality of the 2 coats.

the only helmet i owned with those built-in headphones was a pro-tec last year, and the earflaps were apparently made for someone with a super-long head because the headphones sat on my cheeks. I've listened to the sound quality in giro and the red. the subwoofer in the red is a gimmik, IMO. you turn on the bass and if the song has any bass in it it gets distorted.

My answer-which i've been doing since before they made these built-in things was this- i never ride with earflaps(they never fit me and i don't like them) and i have a pair of those headphones that wrap around the back of your head and kinda fit over your ears. so the little clip type deal with the headphones keep them from slipping off your ears and the wrap around goes behind your head and you can adjust it so it basically wraps around the back of your neck, so it doesn't interfere with the helmet. The headphones covering my ears keep them relatively warm(i wear a had under my helmet and pull it down over my ears when it gets below zero) and awesome sound quality because i chose the headphones, which allowed me to choose how good they are, as opposed to the built-ins where the company tells you what you're going tolisten to.

but that's just what i do, and probably isn't for everyone. 1 possible downside is you have to dig in your pocket and turn the music off or down to have a convo, where most of the manufactured earflap speakers have a mute button that easily accessible.

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, so I met a kid on the hill last week with the same Burton bluetooth helmet and he says he got it dialed in for wireless to his mp3. Found it on eBay(of course) and I think he said S805 transmitter made by motorola.

These headphones aren't even officially "available" in the US yet, but ebay has some:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorola-S805-Bluetooth-DJ-Style-Stereo-Headphones_W0QQitemZ180056871806QQihZ008QQcategoryZ133229QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

but I'm still looking for the mysterious transmitter to plug into my mp3 player.

NOTHING on Motorola's US website:

http://sg.motorola.com/bluetooth/music.html

and nuthin' on ebay...wtf ?? :angryfire

is it A2DP, HFP, Headset, and AVRCP Bluetooth profiles ??

I hope I figger it out before the snow flies here. :smashfrea

edit-it'll look like one these i believe, but the kid said ONLY get a motorola , it's the only thing that'll work....

Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)

A2DP describes how stereo quality audio can be streamed from a media source to a sink. The profile defines two roles of an audio source and sink. A typical usage scenario can be considered as the “walkman” class of media player. The audio source would be the music player and the audio sink is the wireless headset. A2DP defines the protocols and procedures that realize distribution of audio content of high-quality in mono or stereo on ACL channels. The term “advanced audio”, therefore, should be distinguished from “Bluetooth audio”, which indicates distribution of narrow band voice on SCO channels as defined in the baseband specification. :eek:

post-123-141842221815_thumb.jpg

yeah , a extra $50 to not have a little wire from my inside jacket pocket to my ears. Having a volume control easily accessible is really more important. With the Red Audex helmet, you can still hit the mute button on the headphone , wires or not.

Like Bordy mentioned, no wires means no snags in the tight woods but I think I'll stick with my tiny samsung 128 meg player and a wire.

I'm always pulling it out to change tunes or turn it off, with no wire I'd prob drop it off the chair accidently.

WHat you really need is a Burton jacket with the mp3 controls built into the sleeve or the speakers built into the collar.

Now,that's just silly. :freak3:

freezing your fingers off, the horror ! got me some Burton AK goretex windstopper inner gloves at the US Open free in the schwag bag and they rock. Never wear the inner fleece gloves again.

I still pull them off to fiddle with the tunes, lighter, etc and my little fingers never seem to get frostbite.

iGlove ??!!

only $35 bucks

yeah , a extra $50 to not have a little wire from my inside jacket pocket to my ears. Having a volume control easily accessible is really more important. With the Red Audex helmet, you can still hit the mute button on the headphone , wires or not.

Like Bordy mentioned, no wires means no snags in the tight woods but I think I'll stick with my tiny samsung 128 meg player and a wire.

I'm always pulling it out to change tunes or turn it off, with no wire I'd prob drop it off the chair accidently.

WHat you really need is a Burton jacket with the mp3 controls built into the sleeve or the speakers built into the collar.

Now,that's just silly. :freak3:

Suzanne had such a thing but without the speakers, you must of seen here in that jacket

Off topic a bit, I got a set of those Koss portapros and they do sound GREAT. I use them to listen to my XM at night before I go to bed, XM Chill84 :biggthump They have been moved up to my Travel-Plane head phones.

I might get another pair and have them taylored into the ear flaps, I know they will sound better than the Tune ups do.My problem has been lack or volume not to mention weak sound quality.

I did find this on Ebay,30_2.JPG Portable headphone amplifier,mini amp,for ipod,Zune,CD

But now I have MORE junk to carry :(

I have been looking for the same thing for my Burton/Red Helmet.

http://www.smalldog.com/product/41406

:lurk:

smalldog is great but I'm really not a Mac guy. Great location in beautiful Waitsfield, VT on the way to Sugarbush.

I guess if the solution was getting an iPod and an adapter it would be a good excuse to get a 20 or 40 gig refurb. I've used my step daughter's 2 gig nano and it seems really fragile.

Bob dea had tons of good tunes on his old school ipod for our little road trip. Ramblin' Jack Elliot, haven't heard that stuff in a long time.

i wear a boeri that covers the ears and have used duct tape to attach ear buds to the inside of the foam. run the wires back along the bottom padding of the helmet and then just enough slack to attached to your mp3 player and they (wires) should be out of the way. i ride with my mp3 palyer in my front jacket pocket. another option is the armband for the mp3 players. that worked well for me- this is better for flash mp3 players, as they are more durable than those with Hard drives, and you may fall on you your shoulder or arm.

if you have a camelbak, you can wrap the wire around the shoulder straps, although this will be a pain when taking the camelbak off.

be creative, and buy headphones with relatively short wires.

ps yes people will think you are attempting to wear a cracked helmet with all the duct tape on the outside- it only adds to the fun of riding an alpine board, mass confusion =)

If you're looking for a truley wireless setup, it would actually be fairly simple to do, especially if you have an iPod. Ok, here it goes.

Go to best buy and buy yourself an iTrip (or similar radio frequency transmitter for MP3 players). One of these: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7521149&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat33100050012&id=1127210996478

Go to Wallyworld (walmart for the unenlightned) and buy one of those goofy looking wearable radio earphone things. These, since my description sucked: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SRF-HM33-Walkman-Headphone-Stations/dp/B00005NND2 (I couldn't find them at wallyworld)

The ones that I had back in the day cost me about $15, and the sound quality wasn't too too bad. They were the kind of thing that you wouldn't mind chopping up to put in your helmet.

Another option that I didn't know existed yet: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4755746

I've actually been looking for something like this for about 2 years now. It's basically the EXACT wireless solution that we've all been looking for I think.

Justin, those creatives I don't think are very good, if I recall. There are alot of bluetooth solutions out there these days.

Or you could do what I do... No wires, no losing your mp3 player... The sound is hi-def... Just listen to the sound (or lack there-of) your board makes as it effortlessly cuts that amazing cord......

aaaaahhh, yeah......

Another option that I didn't know existed yet: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4755746

I've actually been looking for something like this for about 2 years now. It's basically the EXACT wireless solution that we've all been looking for I think.

A similar solution is made by Anycom (http://anycom.com/products/bluetooth_audio_video/general_audio_gateway_bag-10/?id=102&partno=CC3310 )

Although the headphones are sold separately, I did see a deal this summer where both the headphones and transmitter were sold together as a package.

Has anyone compared the sound of the Bluetooth headphones to the ear buds that are shipped with the iPod ? My only concern with Bluetooth headphones is that the sound quality will be really bad.

Otherwise, I'll definitely go for one.

'later...

• 2 months later...
uhhhh NO :nono: Tunes are part of the experience

after riding for 2 days in windy freezing temps I'm getting tired of taking off my gloves on the chair to reach in and turn off the tunes to chat on the chair.

Found the solution here:

http://www.shop.com/op/~4350_iPod_Mini_Transmitter-prod-33971663-44445580?sourceid=3

just push the pause button on the speaker on my helmet

post-123-141842229182_thumb.jpg

I know everyone and their grandma has an ipod, but I don't.

I hooked up my cell phone to the audex wireless bluetooth speakers (comes with DJ headphones that are now my plane-travel choice) and it works grand. I tried to pair it with an O2 XDA Neo, and it didn't have the version of bluetooth needed to control/communicate with the wireless headset. But when I tried the newer phone it worked perfectly.

phone: Cingular 8525 (aka HTC TyTN or imate jasjam)

I just recently bought a 2Gb card for it and I can hold enough music for a day on the slopes.

I know this is a little late but that's my middle name.

I use the Fuse and have had it for about 3years. Got the tuneups a year ago and not sure about the "they sound bad claim" Mine rock! Bass is great, clarity is good and they keep my ears warm to boot. also have a mute button on the cord for particular interesting chair conversations. I don't even have to turn up the volume too loud. I keep it like background music. Other than the Fuse making me look kind of like Toad from Mario bros, I got no complaints with it or the tuneups. Now only if it had bluetooth for my cely too...

J