Note to New Members ×

??? folding the nose

Guest pat

Oh, yeah. The AM has been working out awesomely. That, and I'm now poor. I'm going to school fulltime, going to Europe next summer, going to Latin America the summer after that...etc.

No, the AM177 has just been _perfect_. Carving, powder, chop, jumps, whatever - no problems. Well, one issue. 177 is a wee bit long for tight trees. Due to said trees, winter before last (the winter I got it) I had my worst snowboarding accident on it.

I was going through tight, tight trees, and I almost made it back onto the path. Unfortunately, I couldn't avoid this one last tree, so I hit it with my rear toe, knee, hip, chest, helmet. Dead stop, with me standing against the tree I just hit. Fifteen minutes later (and incidentally, 20 minutes after the lifts stopped), I'm buckling up again, and the binding had been de-configured by the impact with the tree (not that I had noticed this).

First backside carve, and my rear foot pops out, and somehow the back of my upper rear arm hits the front edge of the board. Foot-long, black bruise, as well as all the other bruisings. I'm just happy I didn't break/tear/pull anything. I ended up going down 1/3 the front face of Lake Louise sitting on my board. Just sit between the bindings, hang onto the one in front of you, and control speed by creating plumes with your boot heels.

So I guess I need a powder board, and a GS. (Perhaps a 200+ 16m+...one can dream. It'd just be for the -30, only person on the mountain days though ...)

Speaking of burying the nose, I can't remember where, but somewhere I've got a video of a bunch of Swallowtail powderboarders attempting frontflips by dipping the nose...

Unfortunately I folded the nose my Coiler 177 AM. Last season I was riding on spring snow off piste & having one of my better days. Going into a toe side turn I went from heaven to hell. The nose folded & pinged me down the slope , I landed on my head followed by a couple of cartwheels.

This was very entertaining for the people on the chair above, but not very nice for me :mad: I still have a small bump in my shin & pain from the damage a year later :(

Just to clarify (and correct me if I'm wrong) but doesn't "folding the nose" happen specifically while carving on hardpack (on piste, not in deep powder, etc)?

can happen in both, but in pow its more of just a purl, like in surfing. burying the nose.

folding the nose happens in a carve, with too much weight forward. Guess that could happen in pow, too.

Just to clarify (and correct me if I'm wrong) but doesn't "folding the nose" happen specifically while carving on hardpack (on piste, not in deep powder, etc)?

From my experience it seems to be easier to do in soft snow, especially in the afternoon. In my case I wasn't paying attention to how much the snow was softening :o So I've widened my stance, added a bit of toe lift , & I'm keeping an eye on changing conditions :biggthump So far so good.

I think that folding the nose while carving means a face plant and a bloody lower lip (happened to me couple of years ago). Hit the hardpack real hard, bounced and rolled, landed on my feet and continued sliding with goggles full of snow.

:o

I had an ugly nose-related wreck foraging for freshies a few years back...

I went off the trail on a steep section, went into a "shadowy" area that was full of stumps. There was a 1/4 inch Ice Coast Crust on top of about a foot of snow that looked like freshies. The nose stuck in the crust and stopped short, I went over the handlebars and whacked my hip on a stump. If that wasn't bad enough, the side of the ice crust layer was razor sharp, so I had these bloody saw cuts on both arms...the jagged ice edge somehow found the gap between my glove and sleeve when my gloves punched thru...

YOW! Looked like a failed suicide attempt...

Anyone ever folded the nose on a backside carve?

I folded the nose two times on a Speedster RS (the old grey model which was lots stiffer than the new yellow one). Both times it was on the frontside. One time it just happened without me knowing why, second time I carved down a really steep slope, pretty much man-made snow only, and got caught on stuck with the nose at the intersection of the groomers runs. However I never got the nose to stick in the snow on my backside, not even near.