Note to New Members ×

Hmm, TWSnow magazine page 58, Sept. 2006

LeeW

Jason Ford did ride an alpine board.

At the time, though, all the racers I had a chance to ride with ran high angles with a soft set-up on squaretails (CK, Delaney, ect...).

The only guys riding hardboots and plates at the time seemed to be freestyle riders like Damian and Jose Fernandes (though Jose was kind of off the back of competition by then).

That was a time when competing pretty much meant that you went to the comp and raced one day, followed by some v-ditch the next.

Jason raced gates in a time that is long gone, kind of around the time that alpine was just starting to look "different" (via the turned-in back foot) and thereby "weak".

I seem to remember getting back into ski boots to ride alpine around 1990 and the comments from my friends were mostly of the "why do you do that to yourself?" variety. It was hard for them to understand why anyone who felt the "comfort" of soft boots would volunteer for the "pain" of hard boots. This was in Whistler and the people making the comments were respected riders. This place and its riders have set the tone for what's "in" and what's "un" ever since.

We should all know by now that alpine "blows"... as to why that is, though, most probably couldn't say.

For example, Jason and I spoke briefly about that carving article he published last season in his magazine. He told me that he received some negative responses for even publishing it. A few advertisers weren't down with it. One unnamed company in particular threatened to stop advertising.
Did Jason say what the basis for complaint was? Did they feel that they might lose market share by being associated with a bunch of old guys on alpine gear? I can't see the average reader of SJ making that connection. I don't think your standard park monkey is laying out that kind of coin for SJ, just not his thing. I see his readership skewing older and/or smarter.

Without going into too much detail, it was most likely an advertiser wanting to make sure that content compliments well with the advertising. Advertisers make decisions like this all the time. If they feel the direction of the magazine doesn't meet their objectives, then they pull out. That's true with all types of media.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stoked

One unnamed company? (in particular threatened to stop advertising because of the alpine article)

strange that a name popped up in my mind when I read that but that would be too funny if my guess was right :)