Note to New Members ×

River rafting anyone?? Spring of '07 six day trip

carvedog

With our moderate snowpack (which can we hope will change) I am not expecting huge runoff this spring. That doesn't mean it won't be spring type conditions, but it won't be the huge scary thing that can be in mid June.

If you want a levels prediction I am guessing 4.5 to 5ft, which is around 3 to 4,000 cfs in the middle section. This is very fun and moderate level, but still quick enough for a 4-5 day trip.

So Dave and Andrea are interested.

So is Michelle.

Tpalka and Lisa are out at this time.

JoelP, Ken, jbird just want to hear from you guys for a relative interest level.

BTW Ken, I have been using those gloves you let me check out (until my shoulder problem) and love them. Also have a copy of the video here with your name on it. Or send me your mailing and I will drop it in the mail for you.

Later,

Jerry

https://www.ronincorporateventures.com/results.asp?p=usfs&pt=forest&RID=519&DisplayType=Short

This is the link to the online application from the 4 Rivers site:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/sc/recreation/4rivers/

It was really easy. They do want you to enter some ID numbers, like drivers license.

Good luck everyone hope it works.

Jerry

• 5 weeks later...

Just checking in on the lottery and it looks like we won't know the results until the end of March.

Hopefully earlier as there are some travel plans to coordinate.

Apparently the online application didn't go as smooth as it could have. Sure was easy on this end though.

Hope every is good, the shoulder is healing slowly.

Best,

Jerry

• 3 weeks later...

Here all my friends got their rejection letters and I hadn't so I was thinking maybe a permit was headed my way.

Turns out they sent the rejection to street address instead of PO Box that was on the same form. Bastiches. :angryfire

So I did not draw. Anyone else heard any good news??

Love to hear someone drew. Permits are on the way for those of you who applied.

Looking forward to the good word from Montana. Unless there was an address foulup, the longer the better in a way. Rejection letters are a form letter.

The permit is a large, lovely brown envelope that with all kinds of Forest Service info and a (important) confirmation letter that has to be mailed back in post haste.

So make sure Montana checks the mail and sends the letter back asap if we did indeed score.

Best,Jerry

• 3 weeks later...

So here is the deal. I just picked up a couple of cancellations in May.

May 16th and and May 28th ( Memorial Day)

If anyone is interested in going let me know as soon as possible. I still have some logistics to work out, but I think I may do both.

Five day trip.

so lets go boating.

Jerry

• 9 months later...

http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/sc/recreation/4rivers/

If anyone wants to try to draw a permit go to above website.

This is a link to my blogs of last summer and fall.

http://idahorivertime.blogspot.com/

I am applying for June 19th for a five day trip that would come off the river on Monday the 22nd in the evening.

Check with me first, as I am still coordinating with a couple of other folks to improve our chances. Basically the more people we get to apply on the same date improves our odds. It does cost $6 to apply. If you draw a permit, I will get you down the river. If you draw and then don't show up, I will hunt you down like a rabid dog.

No really the permits are not transferable so if you draw as part of our group and we start the planning process, it would be nice if you showed up.

Should be a great summer for boating.

:biggthump

Kayakers allowed? I've never done the Middle Fork, but have always wanted to. Little raft experience (just one trip paddling R3 on Gates of Lodore) but a competent kayaker. And I know some rafters who might be up for it, if more are needed. Also, just want to double check dates before submitting application?

- Kelly

Hi Kelly,

yes kayakers are allowed. The most important thing is to get the date so we can all start planning. I am for sure on June 19th. My buddy in CO is putting in for the same date. If you have a couple of solid rafters that may want to put in for that date I encourage you to do that.

I always can manage a cancellation with a week or three notice since I am only 2 hours from the putin. Made it quicker than that but not recommended with passengers.

The purpose of this trip for me, is to introduce people to this wonderful river that may not have a chance to go otherwise. That helps me to get to the river too.:biggthump

Snow pack will affect runoff, should be moderate to big, but not huge that time of year. So welcome, join us if you can.