Note to New Members ×

Does anybody ride Flow bindings?

tahoecarver

Looking to buy a pair, but I don't know what size. Their sizing system is retarded. An M/L goes up to a size 9 boot, but a large starts at a 9 boot. I'm inclined to go with an M/L for less material weight, but I am worried about my boot not fitting (I ride DC boots). Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I use flow spitfire boots size 9 with M/L flow amp 5 bindings.

i also have Head P1 boots which also fits in the M/L amp 5 bindings, but its rather uncomfortable (boots er 43 eiro size...i think thats like 10 us)

Looking to buy a pair, but I don't know what size. Their sizing system is retarded. An M/L goes up to a size 9 boot, but a large starts at a 9 boot. I'm inclined to go with an M/L for less material weight, but I am worried about my boot not fitting (I ride DC boots). Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Take the boot in and try it out. If the toe on the DC boot is too bulky, it may not even fit into a Large.

Try before you buy. I have been on Flows for years and each style is different too. I am a size 7 and with the carbons I have a large and the back is tight with Northwave boots. The FL-11's fit fine with the Northwave boot. I also have a set of Flow boots and the carbons fit great. I had the OLD 11's and they were a M/L and were bigger than the new Large. Try before you get them, if they don't fit the boot they will cause the worst pain in thelower calf you will ever feel.

Paul

I agree the sizing is retarded.

I have Pro-xfr in a large with the Flow Aviator boot in a 9. They fit fine. 9 is probably on the fence between M/L and L if you are dealing with a Flow boot (which I would describe as perhaps less bulky than some others). If it's a different boot in a 9 or larger I would be inclined to go with a L.

I used to ride flows with DC boots, size 11. Here's the tip - go with the large regardless unless you have really mini feet! The DC boots are way wider and higher than the Flow boots which the bindings are designed with. Even with the Large base plate and XL top piece I still had trouble at times.

The other problem I had was that if there was ice under my boot at all, the boot would lift up and the high back would not release because it got stuck on the heel of the boot (if you know what I mean). It got so bad that I de-laminated the heel of my boot and couldn't release from the bindings without great difficulty, which really defeated the purpose.

Finally, they are murder to get into in powder, because you really have to kick your foot into the binding to get them locked away, and that just can't be done in the soft stuff.

Overall, not a bad system if clipping and and out a lot is a problem (which it is on some of our really small hills) and you only ride the groomers, but I definately prefer a good set of ratchets now.

well if we were offering opinions Id suggest not buyhing them either. theyre the most fiddly binding Ive ever seen

the K2 cinch for next season should be a good one. even 05/06 was a viable alternative.

D-Sub, I'm really not a fan of the cinch. Even though the concept is awesome, the final product on the 05 model had way too many moving parts and they seemed to break. I have two mates who got them and they are both going back to standard ratchets.

Overall I am very pleased with my Flows. They are very easy to get into and out of at the top of the lift and the bottom of the run. I never have to sit on my butt. More difficult in the woods in powder, but for me that might comprise <5% of the times I'm getting in or out so the trade-off is easy. I find they provide a very solid strapped-in feel without pressure points.

Bottom line: I bought them for ease of entry exit but keep them for their feeling of solid control.

Note: I have the pro-xfr and the aviator boot which is the stiffest combination. I have never used any of the other models.

D-Sub, I'm really not a fan of the cinch. Even though the concept is awesome, the final product on the 05 model had way too many moving parts and they seemed to break. I have two mates who got them and they are both going back to standard ratchets.

04/05 was known to be poo. waht about 05/06? any idea?

• 6 months later...
Guest ultrasupernectar

I've been riding the carbon team flows with various boards and now have them one of my magnetraction boards, I love the combo personally and do not even have to stop when getting off the lift to buckle in. and in powder I can easily balance and get in them without sitting down in it and having to get back up, I have a size 27cm low profile soft f22s and the M/L works well for me, any bigger and the binding starts to hang off the edge of the board. keep in mind that I've been riding soft boots for 20+ years but am brand new to hard boot carving this year (have not even heat molded my new deluxes yet) So this post may be sort of moot point.