Note to New Members ×

Busted binding :(

BlueB

Yesterday I noticed that screws on the heel piece kept getting lose (my best bindings on race board). This morning befor the ride I decided to check and dissembled the heel piece. To my shock, the binding was about to fail - the 10mm thick solid aluminum plate cracked, and the sliding tread plate (in which the screw tightens in) was pulling through! Lucky that I checked, I guess...

Now how, and why it happened - no clue. Few small jumps I trew yesterday wouldn't do it, and I'm not exactly a King-Kong rider to bust the bindings just by carving hard. The only thing I can think of is my knee's little "arqument" with bamboo pole about 2 months ago. I remember the binding releasing at the impact, maybe it wasnt just the knee that hit the pole?

So, instead of the Generics, I rode Hooger today, with my "not-so-good" Emery Quatro bindings... Nice and reasuring part is that the STEEL base of Emerys' will probably never fail!

Well... all the plastic parts are still intact! It is the base plate, 10mm thick solid aluminum, that failed. Now go figure?

heh...I must have forgotten my brain at home

maybe its cast aluminum? not very strong.

also, if the screws were lose, allowing play, the metal would fatige eventually

glad you didnt get hurt!

now get you some TD2s or F2 Titanium!

yeah, aluminum loses tensile strength with sucessive deformations, while steel does not.......

That's why airline jets are retired and that's why the last of the shuttles will be grounded in 10 years-aluminum framing.....

Plastic, depending on the grade and molding, can be more durable.....