Note to New Members ×

RIP Jake Burton Carpenter

Jack M

I was in high school in 1979. I was a skateboarder through and through. It was nearly all I thought about and most every waking moment was devoted to skating in some way.

I saw a small advertisement in the back of a skate magazine for a board that you could ride on the snow - a Burton Board. Living in snowy upstate NY this was an answer to my prayers - I could ride in the winter too it seemed. I called the number and ordered the Burton Backhill and when I got it my life changed. I now identified as much as a snowboarder as I did a skateboarder.

One day I called the Burton "factory" in Vermont and asked if I could come and see the place. A guy named Jake took the call and invited me to come out and see the place, spend the night, and do some riding. The Jake I spoke to was Jake Burton Carpenter and he was "Burton Boards."

I traveled east and saw the dark, dim and cold two stall garage that was the 'factory' and while it was a bit underwhelming Jake's enthusiasm more than made up for it. We rode twice that weekend and when I was about to leave he offered me a job working for him. I was flattered of course but didn't see myself happily dipping boards into a 55 gallon drum full of polyurethane all day. I turned him down. That may have been a mistake.

Time passed and I rode Burtons for many years. Jake wisely saw that there needed to be a non-branded generic name for these things for the sport to grow and he promoted the use of the term 'snowboard' instead of the original 'Burton Board.'

I saw Jake a number of times over the years but it would be an overstatement to say that I knew him. I knew of him, but I didn't know him. The one thing that I was sure of was that his hard work and determination resulted in the sport of snowboarding. He of course didn't do this single handedly but he was arguably the major player in the biz. And this work changed my life for he better. I've been snowboarding consistently every year since 1979. My wife and I moved from NY state to Montana to be in the high mountains and snow and I still manage 40-50 days a season snowboarding.

I learned this morning that Jake Burton Carpenter has passed away just recently at the age of 65. If I understand it right he lost his battle with cancer.

I can't exaggerate the impact he and his work had on me. I will feel forever in his debt. Thank you Jake Burton for doing what you did and making countless lives more full and happy. Rest in peace.

dave

• Like 6

Though I was the first East coast Rep for Sims and as such a rival of Burton , great sadness to hear of his passing . I was just in Burton Santa Monica o n Halloween with his son who was in a hilarious Wonder Woman coustune. 

horrible to lose a parent at any age.

so ...Alpiners who May have gotten their first start carving on a Safari PJ, M6, Burton stat etc.

I don’t have access to Burtons social media, but what I would Like  someone to do is similar to what I did  for my snowboard shop in Boston....

please put out the word for BIRTIN FANS IN MULTIPLE CITIES to go to ANY LOCAL ICE SKATING RINK ..

outside they always have a huge pile of snow the Zamboni dumps from  resurfacing the ice every day. PEOPLE SHOULD FILL their pick up trucks to the brim with the snow and deliver it in front of the Burton stores nationwide.

candles then should be stuck in the snow,.

and if you have any Vintage Burton gear that meant something to you it should be used to decorate the snow pile . Any graphic printer guy should print up an image of Jake.

Jakes off to the great Heli-boarding  resort in the sky .

Edited by John Gilmour
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

My first board was an Elite 150. We all owe a debt to Jake for driving the sport we love forward. RIP. 

Same board here, agreed.  For my next board I agonized over the decision to get either a 89 Mystery Air or a Safari Comp II.  Glad I went with the latter.

howdy

god speed Jake Burton... I always ride my first board an amp5 from 1995 on the first few days of the season.

it has become a tradition. I also take it out on some deep powder days. it takes me back to the roots of my snowboarding.

my 1998 fp157 is my work horse and I will be sad when it breaks down... what would alpine snowboarding be without

Jake Burton?... rest in peace...

Sad news

https://www.theintelligencer.com/sports/article/Snowboard-pioneer-Jake-Burton-Carpenter-dies-at-65-14852092.php

happy turns man, happy turns. so long and thanks for all the fish.

Hard to believe it's been 35 freekin yrs,
but neither Jake nor Tom could get all the skier outta me

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

always been a skier, so I quit Burton when he gave up on alpine in favor of  strappy lacey.

ps PHUQ CANCER

Edited by b0ardski

just noticed the other thread

mods delete or merge? thanks

I never thought  I'd ride my beloved to death asym alp again  but will tune it up one last time for opening day'{dec?}

I'll do some carves for Jake on the onewheel this morning,(wonder if he has one)

Edited by b0ardski
  • Like 1

You always remember your first...  Burton Backhill followed by the Elite 150 with the goofy attempt at high back bindings.  Far too many days hiking the local peaks prior to acceptance.

I'm sure Jake and Tom are discussing the finer points of board design, and who was "first" on their rides back to the top.

RIP JBC

PHUQ CANCER

Edited by Rusty Edges
speilling
  • Like 1

I still have a bunch of UPs, FPs and a Stat, but these were the two that changed my life.  Met and rode with Jake(and Adam Yauch!) a couple of times back 90's when the US Open was at Stratton.  First time by accident, second time a year later and I was amazed he remember my name.  I don't remember much other than him being real friendly and inviting. But he did introduce me to Yauch who I rode with a several times after then lost contact.  Yeah...**** cancer... 

IMG_2716.jpg.a20922cbe6a76dbf4dd424f2f275970c.jpg

RIP Jake.  

Nearly every decision in my life has been influenced by snowboarding.  Schools, jobs, locations, relationships, vacations, and health habits.  Thank you so very much for laying the foundation for so many like me.  You will always be remembered.

5D05C7B0-CC0B-4DAC-8FA9-1CD26F001955.jpeg

• Like 5

Sad news indeed and I owe him gratitude like all riders.   That said, I would be remiss if I didn’t say I wish that he had found a way as the founder of the company to keep an Alpine lineup intact as the most influential brand in the sport instead of contributing to push it out of the light consciously.  While I love all the Madds, Coilers and Doneks and Kesslers and Thirsts we have had niche developed for us as a result of no mainstream brands caring for a while now, I spent the first 10 years in hardboots in Burton boots, bindings and boards (and clothes) and still feel “betrayed” that the brand that brought me my Safari, PJ, M and Factory Prime would now tell me hardbooting sucks—and I should be more like Shaun White.  

My .02

• Like 2

On 11/21/2019 at 10:35 AM, Neil Gendzwill said:

My first board was an Elite 150. We all owe a debt to Jake for driving the sport we love forward. RIP. 

Performer Elite as well. Hiked up the Robertson glacier in Sorels that summer and ate it all the way down to the valley. 

Quite a thing that a young guy would manufacture and promote his vision around the world. 

37 MINUTE NPR INTERVEIW WITH JAKE BURTON CARPENTER.   They're republishing the PODcast to honor Jake

You can find it under NPR's online site - listed under PodCasts - the How I Built This series with Guy Raz.

Wonderful stuff. 

Maybe Burton willl design a terrific all mountain board called The Jake.  Softboot could test it.  All proceeds to cancer research?

BB 

• Like 3

Sadly I never met the man, but I know that without Burton I likely never would've gotten on a board at all.

Like most here I remember my firsts: first lesson, first ride, first carve, all of them on Burton boards. From our shop's LTR's, to riding directional on a Cruzer 164, to getting a taste of alpine and even asym on an Amp 160 and M6 (which I still ride today). Even my first board to call my own was Burton - a Speed 168w, where the bulk of my carving mileage is.

He truly made snowboarding accessible to all, and the best way we can thank him is to keep on riding. Hats off to you Jake.

20170226_192921.jpg

• Like 1

Living in Colorado Springs CO late 80's  Learned to snowboard at the Broadmoor Ski Hill 1986-87?.....think a lift ticket was $10

Started with a 1987? Burton Cruiser 165..... then moved up to this 88 Burton Safari with Emery? bindings.  Bought both from the local skate shop turned snowboard shop in the mall in Colorado Springs.

Knee pads, spandex, stiff brick-o-block mountaineering boots,  Black Diamond/Patagonia jacket  and fleece.......Man,  what was I thinking!      Somewhere?? in CO

30 years later can't give it up!    Thanks Jake!

BurtonS.jpg

Edited by barryj
  • Like 2