Note to New Members ×

Free carve binding favorites

snowburn

You must be new here lol.  Ask five different people here and you'll get five different answers.  Will depend on your ability, weight, your affinity for all metal construction, desired adjustability, etc etc.  I like F2 Race Titanium intec or bail.  Lightweight, affordable, straightforward adjustability,easy to get, pretty damn strong, I like the flex.  I ride mine hard and have worn parts out as expected but haven't had a major failure.  Dig around using the search bar for info on all the various styles and brands.

Good luck and good turns

8 hours ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

I like F2 Race Titanium intec or bail. 

I have the Race Titanium intec. Never tried Bomber's. Any opinions on the TD3 Sidewinders verses standard? Does Upz boots work with Bombers?

Edited by snowburn

Hard to go wrong with any of the new modern bindings for free carving.

Carvin'Marvin got it right.

How much do you weight?  
What boot size are you?

In term of flex(side to side):

(less rigid)(F2 titanium std /TD3 SW std*) < (F2 titanium step in/TD3 SW Stepin*) < (TD3 standard bail) < TD3 Intec (most rigid)

*over all F2 have a tiny bit more flex than the SW(side winder).  However I have not try every combination of pads and eRing.
F2 relied on the plastic to give it the side to side flex.
TD SW are have more knobs to tune for flex.

UPZ boots does work Bomber TD2/3 Binding.

With your weight/boot size/UPZ it will work great with F2 Titanium intec/step in.

If you are much heavier then Bomber TD(trench digger) are good for peace of mind.
If your boot size are smaller(esp UPZ < 26.5) then Bomber TD3 sole block need to be move in a way which result in taking the binding off more work.
Both are just minor optimization and not deal breaker in any shape or form.

Are you looking for more flex?
Are there any particular feature you are looking for?
What don't you like about F2?

TDs are really nice.  All aluminum/steel (in the bails I think) construction.  Skookum as frig but decently heavy.  They use canting discs for the baseplates so your lift and cant is limited by what you can achieve with those discs and the orientation of the top plates.  The plates come in 0,3, and 6 degree flavors.  It helps to have 1-2 of each when first getting used to the bindings to figure out what works best for you.  This adds up the $.  The sidewinders are really cool but are heavier and expensiver.  I've only ridden the sidewinders twice, but something just felt off about the built-in motion/flex.  People that are afraid of plastic in their bindings like these.  

With a 3d printer or some solid DIY skills and a nice block of wood the F2s essentially have inifinite adjustableness.  Just mind that you have the right length screws to get enough threads to bite in the t-nuts. The MAJOR problem I have with intec F2s and UPZs is that I can't move the boot far enough forward to get properly centered on the board.  To get around this I just mount them sideways on the board and move them over to the proper position.  (IF ANYONE HAS A BETTER WORK AROUND THAN THIS I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR IT)  This severely limits fine fore and aft adjustments, but to me its worth the trade off.  Plus I really hate changing bindings from board to board since they are all set up differently.  I can afford 3 pairs of F2s, Bombers I can not.

Also no matter what brand of binding, be sure to inspect everything on a regular basis.  I've seen F2s fail. I've seen TDs fail.

Are you coming to Montucky Clear Cut?  I'll eat my hat if someone wouldn't let you take their TDs for a spin.

4 hours ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

Are you coming to Montucky Clear Cut?

I'm seriously thinking about it.

4 hours ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

The MAJOR problem I have with intec F2s and UPZs is that I can't move the boot far enough forward to get properly centered on the board.  To get around this I just mount them sideways on the board and move them over to the proper position. 

what size boot do you have and size of bindings?

Some want soft (Carve Co. with loose bails), some want stiff (solid/thick aluminum), most want something in between. 

I've mostly ridden TD3s, but am going to spend the time to get similar cant/lift on a set of F2s to give them a fair chance. 

I am riding both TD-3 SW step in and F2 Titan Flex step in with the Montucky Mod 3 degree  hoof cant.  Other than the weight I really can’t feel a difference in the ride.  I do like all of the burly metal of the Bomber Bindings.  Either way, both are great free carve bindings, both will have failures if you mistreat them or not inspect them regularly.  

@snowburn  MCC is a great place to get to see, touch and try a lot of amazing equipment.  Also meeting a lot of great like minded folks and talking carving with someone who cares is priceless.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dredman said:

MCC is a great place to get to see, touch and try a lot of amazing equipment.  Also meeting a lot of great like minded folks and talking carving with someone who cares is priceless.

I'll have to see if I can take the time off work. I know I would have an absolute blast. I'm trying to convince a buddy to go

1 hour ago, ibrussell said:

No interference from the Intec's to a standard binding.  I use both with Intecs.

that's good to know thanks!

1 hour ago, bumpyride said:

I'll be in Big Sky mid January.  You're welcome to try some of my F2 Intec Sports.  It's all I use.

Thank you for the generous offer. I'll put a pin in it. Keep in touch.

Edited by snowburn

7 hours ago, Corey said:

Some want soft (Carve Co. with loose bails), some want stiff (solid/thick aluminum), most want something in between. 

I've mostly ridden TD3s, but am going to spend the time to get similar cant/lift on a set of F2s to give them a fair chance. 

Keep me posted on your results.