Note to New Members ×

Phantoms on a solid board

z_in_nyc

Is anyone out there riding Phantom bindings on a solid board?

They look very well built and it’s so easy to swap them between boards, but those two contact points seem a bit flimsy for all around use. I broke a couple of bails on burton plate bindings back in the day and it was no fun. Anyone had good experiences on a solid board at a resort?

I’ll be doing free riding on an all mountain board and these would replace F2 Carve RSs (the all plastic F2s). 

I thought about it, but from memory there's a limitation on the maximum angle. I like around 45 degrees and I seem to recall somewhere that there's a limit of 30 degrees on these.

That said, I think they could easily machine a "non split" centre disk for those bindings which would weigh less and be simpler/ cheaper than the split kit. It may be worth emailing them as although I could not get a response to them from here in Europe, they do respond to US email and maybe they may consider this a market worth tapping.

• 2 years later...

The Phantoms have been awesome on a solid board IMO. I made the HB plunge in the late 90s early 00s with 4 buckle Garmont mega rides, then the LaSportiva Spector 1.0's. Last season and this so far has been on the Phantoms and they are a great advancement for the all-around boot! Both Side & back country + Solid board resort riding all feel surfy, solid and smooth. Its a good time to go "all in".

SplitAndSolid.jpg

• Like 2

I have asked for some different angles a couple times in the past and they would not go for it.  I ride a couple boards with the phantoms which I like quite well.  They have a bit of flex and a 3 degree canting and are the lowest to the board of any bindings I have ever ridden which has made some boards feel much better.  I did crash once and pull a binding off the board bending the plate in the process. The cleats were just fine. Phantom was excellent and replaced the bent plate right away. Overall I like these a lot for boards wide enough to run the lower angles

I also once asked Phantom if they might be interested in developing a system that would allow steeper angles. At the time (a few years ago) they said they didn't feel that there would be much of a market for them. I think they mentioned that the cost of tooling up to make them would be too high for expected return.

I think there would be a limited market for Phantom Adjustable 3 in 1 Cleats (the ones for solid boards) that allowed for steeper angles than 30 degrees. Would tooling up to make them be justified for a company like Phantom? - lots of variables and considerations that someone from the outside looking in may not be able to fathom. But, if they were available, I think some people would buy them - so that they could run Phantom Plate bindings on their solid boards. Personally, I will continue to ride F2 and Carve Company plate bindings on my solid boards. They are light and work good.

My splitboard is setup with Phantom bindings. All of their cleats (3 kinds available) allow max angles of 30 degrees.

I was nervous that I would not adjust well to a splitboard setup, as I normally ride steeper angles than what splitboard setups can accommodate. It has been an adjustment, getting used to riding shallower angles. I normally ride with angles of around 55-60 front 45-50 rear.

Lower angles was a learning curve, but not huge and things are feeling better and better the more I ride the set-up. BTW, my boots for my splitboard setup are Atomic Hawx 130. I added Phantom Link Levers (green/medium springs to them). My splitboard is a Jones Solution 161.

I've been in the backcountry on it just a couple times. Also, I've been riding my split at the resort to get more used to it. It's going great. Getting more used to slacker angles and the new boots and other system parts.

Setting up the splitboard, I found that if you want to run the steepest availalble angles (30 degrees front and rear) you may find that you need to set the board up with a stance that is wider than you want (or that you are used to). And you may also find that the placement of your stance on the board, front to rear, is also impacted if you want to run steeper angles. Not sure if that makes sense, but some of the other system parts, that must go on a split setup, may limit where you place your bindings.

As I was setting up my bindings on my splitboard I found that going with the steepest available angles (30 degrees) on my setup would mean that my stance would be wider than I preferred, and that my stance location was impacted by system parts and binding angle choices. This is because there are toe pieces (for ski mode - uphill travel) installed right behind the front binding, and heal risers installed right in front of the splitboard's rear binding.

In the end, I went with a front binding angle that is less than 30 degrees in order to accommodate not having the front binding's rear-bail make contact with one of the ski toe-pieces. I could have stayed with a 30 degree binding angle, and just moved the front binding forward more - into the next set of inserts, but this would have put me into a position on the board that was too nose heavy.

On the rear binding, I went with an angle that is slightly less than the front, and I moved it back quite a ways. If I had it tight in - moved forward toward the toe risers - it was a stance of around 19 or 20 inches wide (about what I have often used). But when riding the board I was too far forward. So I moved the rear binding back and opened up my stance quite a bit. I like how it rides - I like my stance location as it is set up now. Wider stance than I am used to, but feels fine and good.

Regarding Phantom quality and level of service. I'm very impressed with the quality of the bindings and other Phantom products I bought to set up my split. Customer service has been top-notch with my emails answered promptly. I had some adjustment questions and other inquiries before and after my purchases and I always got the help I needed. They will get on the phone with you, make a video of how to adjust a part of the system you need help with, or do what ever it takes to take care of any issues you may have. They are awesome.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had a lot of fun with my Phantom M6s on solid and split boards (paired with Atomic Backland Pros with Phantom Link Levers). I would describe the setup as more like soft boot riding than hard boot. As mentioned, the mounting plates have a maximum of 30 degrees. The bindings also allow for a surprising amount of flex and play in the nose-tail axis, which further lends to a soft boot feel. I’ve even tried duck stance and it worked well. What sets it apart from a true soft boot setup is the edge response. Comparing to soft boot bindings, I’d describe the responsiveness as 11/10, if not more.

There are some caveats though. Getting ski touring boots to fit without overhang can be a problem, and the mounting system is a bit of a pain. In theory, you could buy multiple sets of mounting plates to easily transfer the bindings between boards (split or solid). In practice, the bindings need to be adjusted for proper tension whenever switching them between boards, and that requires tools. Also, as a splitboard system first and foremost, I’m worried about how long it will hold up to lift served laps.

regarding stance width and angles; I chatted with John on the old splitboard.com when he was developing the originals, a few of us longtime hardbooters asked for steeper angles in development to no avail. So I stuck with slider plates because 1-price, less than half the cost for voile. 2- I easily got 40*+ angles by off setting the toe/heel on the slider.

I had dynafit toe clamps at 1st which forced my front foot too far forward so wider than I liked.

spacer.png

Now I went with the voile STS touring toes to make space for my preferred stance angles and width.

spacer.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, b0ardski said:

I had dynafit toe clamps at 1st which forced my front foot too far forward so wider than I liked.

spacer.png

Now I went with the voile STS touring toes to make space for my preferred stance angles and width.

I'm using the Phantom Tech Toes, which I believe are a modified design that is very similar to the Dynafit Toe clamps. I am having the same issue with them when I set up my front binding. I was wondering what else might be available - something that didn't have such a long locking lever in front. The option you show looks just like the ticket. How are the Voile STS Touring Toes working for you?

Quick update here. I’ve been riding the phantoms on solid boards at resorts for the past couple of seasons and it’s been great. I highly recommend trying it. I’m using atomic badlands w link levers. I haven’t broken or bent anything, but also haven’t had any monumental crashes. The setup is definitely the best hard setup I’ve ever had because of the flex, low weight, and low profile (boots close to the board). So no more F2 Carve RS for me. The weight alone is a game changer vs some of my old setups like upz + bombers — although I do miss that intec step-in... 

Edited by z_in_nyc
  • Like 1

The Spark stuff looks a little agricultural, but that's only looks.
Got a picture of the Spark Dyno DH set up? 

I like my F2 race, but I'm always looking for better, and lighter/ lower is good. I'm unconvinced by:

• CNC F2 branded bindings. Pretty but heavy I suspect and expensive for no real gain.
  • SG bindings - same as F2, slightly cleverer engineering, probably harder to get spares, expensive
  • Phantom - designed for split, too complicated, no lifts, won't go to 45 degrees.

Oh, now I just discovered the F2 Race Carbon LTD. Anyone tried those babies?

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2022 at 11:36 AM, hyzerbomber said:

The Phantoms have been awesome on a solid board IMO. I made the HB plunge in the late 90s early 00s with 4 buckle Garmont mega rides, then the LaSportiva Spector 1.0's. Last season and this so far has been on the Phantoms and they are a great advancement for the all-around boot! Both Side & back country + Solid board resort riding all feel surfy, solid and smooth. Its a good time to go "all in".

SplitAndSolid.jpg

New to this forum … so hope doing it, the reply, right. All in.

7F774834-9BE5-4133-9043-057429F21114.jpeg

804D9B34-1797-431A-AEF7-89CD8D109FAD.jpeg

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 3/28/2022 at 3:32 PM, GTD said:

New to this forum … so hope doing it, the reply, right. All in.

7F774834-9BE5-4133-9043-057429F21114.jpeg

804D9B34-1797-431A-AEF7-89CD8D109FAD.jpeg

How do you like the Karakoram Guide HB bindings?
I've just got in touch with them this last week to give expression of interest/get on the wait list for the next run.

Do you rate the combo of Backland and Guide binding?
I notice you've got the Phantom Tour mode bindings as well...

I'm in Aus and have just bought Atomic Backlands and will be getting a split for next season. 
I've also bought some OEM Fritschi bindings to run these boots on an F2 board I picked up for a steal.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been down this road for awhile now.

Gateway drug to hardbooting was the M6 Phantom bindings. Loved them so much that I ended up riding them all the time in the resort. Worked great for awhile... until the metal pins began wearing down the metal cleats. The rocking motion of the pins over time ends up drilling straight in to the cleats until there's just too much play in the system.

I'm currently on the Karakoram HB Guides. They've been working well so far, but have had some problems with the way that the rear heel bails are formed. It's not a circular form like in F2 bindings or the M6, but are more... angular. During my few days on them, they've caused noticeable deformation to the rear cleat of my boot. Time will tell if this becomes a bigger issue, but in the meantime I'm investigating alternative options of how to get the bail to fit better.

How have the F2 Races fit out of the box for AT boots? I have a Carve RS that has a rear bail that seems way too high, but maybe I'm missing out on a really obvious adjustment.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2022 at 11:03 PM, Dingoose said:

How have the F2 Races fit out of the box for AT boots? I have a Carve RS that has a rear bail that seems way too high, but maybe I'm missing out on a really obvious adjustment.

Mine fit fine. I've two pairs of standard F2 Race Ti bindings (the non-Intec ones), one from last season and one from a couple of years earlier, and they fit fine. You have to set the boot length right, but they don't waggle around and don't pop out. For me at least, that's not a problem.

I'm just always looking for better toys, so if some split board company was to make something [for split boarding] which worked better than the F2s I'd have them in a second. It hasn't happened, yet...

11 hours ago, philw said:

Mine fit fine. I've two pairs of standard F2 Race Ti bindings (the non-Intec ones), one from last season and one from a couple of years earlier, and they fit fine. You have to set the boot length right, but they don't waggle around and don't pop out. For me at least, that's not a problem.

I'm just always looking for better toys, so if some split board company was to make something [for split boarding] which worked better than the F2s I'd have them in a second. It hasn't happened, yet...

have you checked out Plum split binding? French I think.

https://www.fixation-plum.com/en/bindings/9772-sok.html

• Like 1

Those look much prettier. Albeit at a price. I guess with that type of stuff the material is pretty critical too... beautifully machined aluminium bindings ended up being too stiff when compared with the F2s, I believe. There's also a bunch of far-eastern companies who ae making stuff. I guess I'm just interested in keeping an eye on this stuff as I think the F2 hasn't changed in about three decades, and I'm sure change is due..