Note to New Members ×

Poll: Is EC Style/Body Dragging Not Good Form?

barryj

Is EC Style/Body Dragging Not Good Form?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Curious what the consensus here may be. What's Your Opinion?

• Yes EC is a good form/style of carving
    • No EC is a bad form/style of carving

Curious what the consensus may be..........but don't shoot the messenger!     Seeing another member's opinion from another post ("most people here think body dragging is not good form") recently on the topic made me want to ask the question of you guys "here".....aka: poll  for consensus  based on their statement.

Personally I enjoy the EC style/skill.  It's a great skill to have in your bag of tricks. Mix it up, throw a few EC turns into your run, but not every single turn.  More importantly,  I have seen many more soft boot carvers/EC riders tearing it up at Northstar and Heavenly the last couple of years....... softboot EC carving is the new hot trend and bringing new blood into the mix and our niche from what I see........

Edited by barryj

It’s not a style that I’m into, but that’s irrelevant.

I appreciate and recognize the skill involved, I just choose not to focus on it for myself...why would I diss and marginalize a part of an already marginalized part of snowboarding? 🤷🏾‍♂️

It’s like disregarding soft boot carving, because it’s something you’re not into. 

#manywaysdown 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, charliechocolate said:

"Good form" depends on the intention. Extreme carving by definition means dragging body parts on the snow. You wouldn't want to drag your hips on the snow when you're running gates. The poll question is nonsense.

Agreed.  It's kind of like asking whose technique is better, Ted Ligety or Mikael Kingsbury?  There isn't a race coach in the world who will tell you EC is good race technique.  But if you're not racing, who cares?  Well, you might if you're looking for maximum edge purchase in steep icy conditions.  But a good racer also knows how to lay one out if they need to.

chris-1-peak-wellness.jpg

• Like 1

Personally, I believe the Edge of my Stick is doing the Carving, anything that hinders or affects the pressure of that edge, a finger, or any other body part or piece of equipment has an affect on the Edge and the simple purity of the line... so I try to only allow the Edge to do the Carving, I see the mountain as a canvas so to speak, what I leave behind matters to me, I don't expect it to matter to anyone else...I enjoy watching every form of Snowboarding, I don't feel what I am doing is the Right way or the Wrong way, rather just a Way...that idea applies to everyone else I see enjoying themselves Carving around the mountains

4 hours ago, ursle said:

Taking pressure off the edge is not conducive to carving, with that said, I've seen photos of GeoffV with a beautiful edge while touching the snow bodily, that's great form.

When the board is skipping along, no form whatsoever.

When I try to EC, I most want to exemplify the Sword crew. Their 'Stoked' movie played a very large part in me getting into alpine riding. Beautiful economy of movement. 

• Like 2

Maybe its just me but when i have done laid out EC carves ive never felt the edge pressure much less than than if i were to stay compressed and stacked close to the edge, just pressure in a different way. EC carves feels like the pressure is straight down more in line with the g force ie from my head down through the soles of my feet where if im more compressed and not touching its more like the pressure is straight down through my toes or my heels on to the edge with the g force almost at 90 degress to that(not the best explanation😅). The most noticeable difference ive felt is that you are more of a passenger to the turn you are going to do what the sidecut wants and because your at full extenstion you dont quite have the same ability to manipulate it. For example here is me staying compressed and aiming to bend and turn the board(9-11vsr with stiff core) as hard as possible without touching down. Hoping this winter ill get similar videos of nice big arcing laid out euro's

Hello everyone,

Very interesting this post and this debate on the EC even if it is true that the question is very badly put, there are no good / bad style of carving, there are some who prefer freestyle, others freeride, others race, others EC etc.... still it is necessary to manage to make correctly backflipe in freestyle or backside lying in Extremecarving...

First of all, my name is Seb Henri and I am an Extremecarving Instructor, I am based in France and I do Camps in France, Europe, China, Japan etc... I meet many people with different levels, different mentalities and different riding desires. The goal is above all to have fun while riding, that's the most important thing.

The big mistake is to want to compare Extremecarving to another form of practice of snowboarding, for example Race is a technique to go as fast as possible down the track through imposed gates, in Freeride it's to take the most beautiful and dangerous slope line, in halfpipe, in boardercross, in freestyle, in Extremecarving... all is different. The race, the Carving and the Extremecarving do not have the same objective and therefore a different technique with a different desire. Personally I ride in hardboots and softboots and I love doing everything, flat, carving, little jumps, faki, EC and of course I will adapt my technique which will be totally different.

The most important thing is the pleasure of riding 😉 

Making beautiful curves, linking frontside and backside turns lying with the head 2cm from the snow, sensations guaranteed while controlling its direction and speed especially on black slopes, and all with outstanding precision, that's why many people want to try the ExtremeCarving.

Seb

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Good, bad, depends on your goals. Is it safer or more effecient in every conditions than "regular" carving technique, no. Is it challenging and fun, hell yes! It's like doing tricks on a softboot board, it's fun but you need to choose when and where to do it. EC helped me improve my carving on steep runs, rotation and "push-pull" also help me to be more versatile and  dynamic , no more stiff legs and "sitting on the toilet" on back side... I think EC add tools to your toolbox, and lots of fun!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Impressive. I couldn't do that even if I wanted. 

However for my taste the riders who look the best are the ones who appear to have a magnetic repulsion between their hands and the snow. As their hands approach the snow, the repulsion gets much stronger until their hands just hover over the snow - only touching on occasion. 

• Like 1