Note to New Members ×

Jacket/Outerlayer Recomondations for Skinny Guys

MNSurfer

My long-suffering wife has decided she won't ski with me unless I replace my old, beaten-up, holy jacket. I call it "well seasoned", but to each his own.

I struggle to find the right fit. At 6'2", 175, I'm on the skinny side, and I don't like things baggy, or bulky. So I guess I'm looking for brands, models, etc., that cater to slim-fit. Prefer lined, but am flexible. I've looked around a bit, but it just seems hard to find a good fit.

Thanks!

Patagonia cuts tend to fit tall & slim. Which is not me any more. I had a Patagonia I bought new about 10 years ago, sent it in for repair and they sent me back a $300 voucher for a new jacket. 

Thought that was a pretty good deal until I went in and tried on all the new stock. At 5"8 and 180, I'm not rotund, but anything that fit me across the shoulders and chest was closer to my knees than my hips, and the sleeves were almost to my fingertips. 

FA Designs would be great, especially if you can get closeouts. You might also want to check out Montbell - they're a Japanese brand that seems to be targeted at the Japanese build (i.e., skinny). I'm 5' 11" and around #155,  and I've been happy with my rain jacket from them - it's a Japanese L. At 6' 2" you would probably be an XL in their Japanese sizes. 

If you order from their Japanese site,  it's a little cheaper and ships for free for anything over about $185. https://en.montbell.jp/products/goods/list.php?category=142000

Or you can use their US site which would make any potential returns a lot easier: www.montbell.us

Either way, some of their products come in both Japanese and US sizing - make sure which one you're getting. 

Stick with the Euro stuff, or a company that makes a lot of climbing gear. Patagonia, Arcteryx, North Face, Mountain Hardwear all tend to have that tall, skinny climber fit. I fit well in a small in most of those brands, given that I have wider shoulders and bigger biceps than fit comfortably in a lot of women's jackets.

17 hours ago, Allee said:

Stick with the Euro stuff, or a company that makes a lot of climbing gear. Patagonia, Arcteryx, North Face, Mountain Hardwear all tend to have that tall, skinny climber fit. I fit well in a small in most of those brands, given that I have wider shoulders and bigger biceps than fit comfortably in a lot of women's jackets.

Thanks for all the input, y'all. I'll have to hit the local outfitter here, one of these days. @DanI do like the look of the Mont Bell. But at the same time, I dread doing returns, and that sounds like fitting might be a bit of trial/error.

2 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

I know you nitpick the details of their product but I like it. Be nice if it was still made in Canada. 

I meant for TNF .... I have no issues with ARC ... its good for what it is, I was working with them and they have some great applications... 

I wouldn't characterize the fit of my Arc'teryx jacket as baggy.  I have the Rush shell, which is their design for skiing as opposed to climbing.  I've got a reasonably slim runners build, I usually wear a slim-fit large or a medium shirt depending on brand.  I have a size L jacket and it fits pretty much exactly as I want a shell to fit: enough room for a large fleece or two lightweight ones, but nothing extra beyond that. 

😉 Mine's baggy, your mileage may vary of course.

As per the screen grab, my Arc jacket has a beer gut pouch on the front, a free feature they didn't list in the specifications of what is the smallest adult "trim" fit jacket they sell.

I can't sensibly drink even more beer, and it probably wouldn't help. I could start carrying a small furry animal in that space I suppose. It's hardly a huge problem, and next season's stuff may well be different, but someone was asking and there it is.

(I can't remember who TNF is owned by these days, but the "brand" has had an inconsistent history. Burton AK sizing has been pretty much random. With both of those if you're not buying the smallest/ largest, you need to try them on, and probably more than one.)

gut-bag.jpg

I think it would be helpful if people who are discussing sizing would include their body measurements and weight. 

I'm 5'11", 195 (targeting 185).  FA Subsonic L was rather snug in the beer area.  For the Auxiliary I went with XL but probably should have gone L.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the help, y'all. I do like the Arcteryx shells; They fit great!

So a slight change of plans, and a bit of an epiphany. So while cleaning-out some snowmachine accessories, my wife found her neon blue/pink Columbia snowsuit. This had only been worn a few times, c.2000, so it is tip-top. And a Mens Medium! She was going to donate it, so I swooped-in to stop that madness.

I now have several days on the hill with this bad boy, and all I can think of is; What the hell have I been missing all these years?!?! Warm, snow and wind will never get in, and unimaginably practical, compared to separates. Hook. Line. Sinker.

The catch is that the long-suffering won't be caught dead skiing with me, with this beauty on. Who makes new (ski/mountain) snowsuits? I've done a fair amount of searching, and all I can find is one from Spyder. Any ideas?