Note to New Members ×

Music for carving to - and to improve your performance

SunSurfer

Just learned that there is serious evidence that movements made in time with music tend to be made more efficiently, with greater endurance and less oxygen consumed.

https://www.minervamedica.it/en/journals/sports-med-physical-fitness/article.php?cod=R40Y2012N04A0359

I've stayed away from music when I'm riding to be more aware of my surroundings/other riders etc. I might have to reconsider.

Edited by SunSurfer
Reference URL added
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Listen to music and chewing gum, detaches the brain just enough to not over-think / over-control.  Situational awareness can be maintained visually and spatial defense can be bright colored helmets/clothing.  

That is great to hear that it also increases your endurance! Yay Science!

• Like 1

So to be clear on this issue. Distracted riding is good . Distracted driving is bad. My choice is choke to death on gum if I fall while riding or get nailed from someone else because i'm grooving on tunes . Music in the gym is a total different animal than tunes on a busy road while jogging or a busy slope while riding. I understand the premise but I'm leery people can implement the intent in a manner that's safe for themselves and others (Based on what I've observed to date.)

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2019 at 7:05 AM, lowrider said:

So to be clear on this issue. Distracted riding is good . Distracted driving is bad. My choice is choke to death on gum if I fall while riding or get nailed from someone else because i'm grooving on tunes . Music in the gym is a total different animal than tunes on a busy road while jogging or a busy slope while riding. I understand the premise but I'm leery people can implement the intent in a manner that's safe for themselves and others (Based on what I've observed to date.)

Sorry that you can't listen to music without being distracted. Do you always leave the music off in your car too?

Riding for years with headphones or a headset. I don't watch movies while riding......just on the chairlift. 

On 9/28/2019 at 8:00 AM, softbootsurfer said:

Have serious Tinnitis, need sound to remain calm at times, been riding for 8 years or so with music, can easily hear each carve while enjoying the rhythm, which I believe helps my riding flow...needing to hear people yelling for me to get out of their way is a slope I stay off of...

Not everyone knows the path to Milkland.....or the gems of Sun Valley. 

• Like 1

It's amazing how loud wind noise is when riding. I didn't really notice it until I started listening to music. I want it to be background music, but it has to be pretty loud to even hear it over the wind noise. 

It's also surprising how loud skidders are on hardback. No problem hearing them coming over wind noise or background music. 

• Like 2

I have headphones in my helmet ear pads, which is better for me than in-ear. This way I can hear sounds around me, while still hearing my tunes. 

As for music? It varies on my mood, but more for the type of riding I’m doing. Mellower stuff for powder days, Rock, Funk and Electronic instrumentals for charging! 

I actually experimented with music on the Nastar course at PC...and my times were consistently lower. 

2D1461C0-3F24-4507-B8C6-0671B2D74741.png

035EFEAA-B3D3-431A-A8B0-F52A85C8A115.png

• Like 1

20 hours ago, carvedog said:

Sorry that you can't listen to music without being distracted. Do you always leave the music off in your car too?

Riding for years with headphones or a headset. I don't watch movies while riding......just on the chairlift. 

Not everyone knows the path to Milkland.....or the gems of Sun Valley. 

I prefer not to listen to anything when riding. I enjoy the quiet, the sounds of the forest, the sound of my edges on the snow.  

In my car I often listen to the radio or audiobooks. However, on the road, everyone is supposed to be following the same laws and moving in a predictable manner. Also, I have a rearview mirror so I am aware of others overtaking me. None of that is true on the slopes. It can be a very chaotic situation on the slopes and the risks of collision are pretty high. To reduce the chance I try to be very aware of the movement of people near me and have taken to riding only on weekdays. 

Just my preferences. 

• Like 3

I go back and forth with music. It is definitely true it can stop you from overthinking if you let it, but then again I often drive without listening to music simply because I don't feel like it... I know, I'm weird. But I did just got the Outdoor Tech Chips (https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Universal-Bluetooth-Walkie-Talkie-OT0052/dp/B01KZSRB1W) at the end of last season and modded my helmet liner to fit them. Looking forward to trying them out, and as a bonus they work as a 2 way radio over cell service if anyone else has got them which could come in handy

20 hours ago, AcousticBoarder said:

But I did just got the Outdoor Tech Chips at the end of last season and modded my helmet liner to fit them. Looking forward to trying them out, and as a bonus they work as a 2 way radio over cell service if anyone else has got them which could come in handy

I think you'll love them...I used the non-walkie version all last season, and it's the best system of any kind that I've used in my years of riding. The wireless is perfect, the wired version I had to keep returning, as the wires tend to break inside.
I ride on my own a fair bit, without music I don't feel as focused and miss any interaction, when riding solo.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Emdee406 said:

The wireless is perfect, the wired version I had to keep returning, as the wires tend to break inside.

Good to know!  I had bought the wired version.  They lasted about 1 week past the warranty period before failing.  I had flatly dismissed the wireless version based on the early failure of the wired version, but maybe I should reconsider...

5 hours ago, Corey said:

Good to know!  I had bought the wired version.  They lasted about 1 week past the warranty period before failing.  I had flatly dismissed the wireless version based on the early failure of the wired version, but maybe I should reconsider...

You should...I was about to head to Japan when my 3rd pair of wired ones failed. The guy in the store took them back and invited me to pay the difference and upgrade to the wireless, as he had, and they performed faultlessly.

It's always hard snow here and the sound is really loud and actually distracting, I use etymotic research ER4 in ear headphones, wired.

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones.html

Pandora and my station is the notorious b i g.

With the "in ear" the music doesn't have to be loud, hearing others turning nearby is easy, or conversation.

I've used most decent in-ear brands including Etymotic to play FLAC from my phone. These days I use Bluetooth/aptX things from NuForce - BE6i. They last all day for my usage and are easy to turn off for the uplift sections, which is what I generally do. Sound quality is always likely to be better at the price if you opt for wired, of course. The convenience of wireless (albeit on a wire around my neck) is important to me for the gym or slope. I also used to break the wired ones fairly frequently, even the hyper-expensive ones.

They're not intended to be "noise isolating" and aren't.  Even so, I'm a cyclist, so it's an instinct for me to always know what's behind me and not to rely on my hearing: bikes and snowboarders are mostly silent. I even look over my shoulder in the back country when intellectually I know there is no one behind me for hundreds of miles. Or maybe I'm just checking for armoured bears.

Here's my music setup I put together last year. I had looked at the Outdoor Tech Chips Bluetooth and wired and both received bad reviews with failures and spotty Bluetooth, so I found these motorcycle helmet speakers and the Bluetooth module. The speakers fit inside the ear piece of snowboard helmets and sound pretty good for its purpose. The Bluetooth receiver never had any drop out problems, and is easy to turn play/stop with the large center button. I do need to remove my hand from my mitts to turn on/off, but still convenient. I usually turn them off at the top of the lift if at my hill when it's busy, and turn back on getting on the lift. Otherwise, on a weekday, I leave them on when it's not too crowded. I can also take a phone call with them and my wife says she can hear me just fine with the Bluetooth mic by my ear.

I use much better and more expensive earphones and headphones at work, at home and on planes. But I don't want to risk damaging something more expensive in the elements. You'll see from the 2nd photo, I was out on a freezing rain day last year and the Bluetooth receiver was covered in a layer of ice, but was playing all through that time and didn't take any damage after the ice melted from it.

The insert image from URL doesn't seem to be working for me, so the photo links are below.

Speakers

Bluetooth

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16KwCZAt24WU0Mdm2QK94QWqei_YG3FFe

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19BB5AyBsXoGxLQcWNM6wtN_D667LX-2K

• Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 1:00 PM, AcousticBoarder said:

...as a bonus they work as a 2 way radio over cell service if anyone else has got them which could come in handy

...but as a drawback, they may open up your personal data to snooping. Sometimes those excellent features come with hidden costs:

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2019/03/06/ski-headphones-flaw-unlocks-mountain-of-user-data/

• 3 months later...
On 10/20/2019 at 11:03 AM, ktv said:

The Bluetooth receiver never had any drop out problems, and is easy to turn play/stop with the large center button. I do need to remove my hand from my mitts to turn on/off, but still convenient. I usually turn them off at the top of the lift if at my hill when it's busy, and turn back on getting on the lift. Otherwise, on a weekday, I leave them on when it's not too crowded. I can also take a phone call with them and my wife says she can hear me just fine with the Bluetooth mic by my ear.

I use much better and more expensive earphones and headphones at work, at home and on planes. But I don't want to risk damaging something more expensive in the elements. You'll see from the 2nd photo, I was out on a freezing rain day last year and the Bluetooth receiver was covered in a layer of ice, but was playing all through that time and didn't take any damage after the ice melted from it.

Bluetooth

Hey @ktv, just wanted to say thanks. That Apekx Bluetooth player is exactly what I wanted! Small, good battery life, functional with mitts on (barely...), etc. It has replaced an old iPod Shuffle as well as eliminating a cable between my jacket and helmet. 

• Like 1

i once experimented riding with music. My first gen airpods work great for my ear anatomy. They fit very snug and won't budge even when running or jumping rope. they stay in place with my helmet on. Riding with music freaked me out for reasons discussed above. I'm already super paranoid about getting hit from behind. Or also the very odd chance that someone is trying to yell at me to warn me about the Lion or Bear that is chasing me. 

5 hours ago, Colozeus said:

Riding with music freaked me out for reasons discussed above. I'm already super paranoid about getting hit from behind. Or also the very odd chance that someone is trying to yell at me to warn me about the Lion or Bear that is chasing me. 

Did you know that you can adjust the volume on most audio devices? 😉 😋 I have mine quite low, to the point that I can barely hear it over wind noise while moving. 

9 hours ago, Corey said:

Did you know that you can adjust the volume on most audio devices? 😉 😋 I have mine quite low, to the point that I can barely hear it over wind noise while moving. 

😛 when i listen to music, it's all i want to hear. Low volumes are a no go for me. 

Perhaps when i make it back out to aspen on a weekday and i have a very sparsely populated run, i'll experiment with some music again. Whenever i go for an outdoor or indoor run, i absolutely need some type of music between 170-180 bpm to help me keep cadence for my "barefoot-style" running. (zero drop heel shoes that promote for/mid-foot strike instead of heel strike)

Edited by Colozeus

On 1/21/2020 at 10:58 AM, Corey said:

Hey @ktv, just wanted to say thanks. That Apekx Bluetooth player is exactly what I wanted! Small, good battery life, functional with mitts on (barely...), etc. It has replaced an old iPod Shuffle as well as eliminating a cable between my jacket and helmet. 

Glad the setup works for you Corey.

As mentioned above, I only use it when no one's around. Otherwise I only listen on the lifts. Yes, hearing things about to hit you are essential 😎