Note to New Members ×

Alpine Carver Sculpture

Gabe T

It was a nice surprise when I came across this sculpture earlier this summer.  I'm not sure when it was created or who it was modeled after but you can take your best guesses.   A somewhat obvious candidate did come to mind for me. 

The sculpture was done by late Canadian artist William Lishman.   Some links about the artist and sculpture location:

http://williamlishman.com/blog/

https://urbantoronto.ca/news/2016/02/bridgepoint-hospital-unites-healthcare-arts

IMG_2656.jpg

IMG_2655.jpg

• Like 4

14 hours ago, softbootsurfer said:

team-canada-jasey-jay-anderson-sochi-2014.jpg

He was not my first choice at a guess.  I was actually thinking about its debut at the Olympics in Nagano. Goggle shape and smaller head/helmet profile seem to be similar to Canadian team at the time.   JJA was there too (damn he’s old!), but he’d need 3 more Olympics before winning the gold.  🙂 

RossR.jpg

1 hour ago, JohnE said:

Pretty cool. Is he on a snowboard? Did Bruce have anything to do with this?

No and no.  There is a photo in the second link showing the snowboarder without the foliage hiding the feet.

I had visited the site before but completely missed seeing the carver.   It was among several figures in a sculpture garden.  Most of them were clustered together but the snowboarder was situated lower along the stairs doing its own thing.