Note to New Members ×

Internal dialogue while riding

Carvin' Marvin

When I feel that I am carving well, it isn't so much internal dialog as euphoria or a flood of endorphins that make me want to do it again & again & again (until my legs are completely shot). 

When I'm carving poorly (hard snow and/or steep), my internal dialog is "why am I doing this".

Edited by JohnE

Neat idea! 

When I'm out of the zone: Trees!  Mogul!  Ice patch! Why is my rear arm flapping about like that?!

When I'm feeling 'on': I follow a path that's invisible even to me.  I feel like I'm watching a video game in the 3rd person view from above.  Not much conscious thought, just looking for the next fun place to go.  

• Like 4

Ok! Let's go!!!

Carve... carve... carve.... carve...

Let's hit that bank on the right side! Yeeaaah!!!

Carve... carve... carve... carve... carve...

Oooh! Untracked pow patch on the left!!! Slaaaaash!!!

Back to the groom!!!

Carve... carve... carve... carve... carve... carve...

This is waaaaay too much fun!!!

Oh! Roller coming up! Pop it!!!

Carve... carve... carve... carve... carve... carve...

Man! The conditions are awesome!!!

Flatter section coming up. Let's do it switch!

Carve... carve... carve... carve...

180 back to forward!

Let's stop and watch Steph and Benny go by.

Man! My buddies have style!!! Follow them!!!

Etc... etc... etc...

Edited by Mig
  • Like 3

I listen mainly to Cali-reggae when I ride. This past season I focused more on better flow as in past years I was forcing my way in and out of turns. The reggae beat/bass mixed with breathing in during transition and breathing out during initiation and apex has been good for me. Now syncopate the mountain, the music, the turns and breathing.

....with some aggressive autopilot and where is that f-ing ski racer/straightliner/spring breaker/newb coming up my arse

Edited by slopestar

If im honest unless its super busy or im riding trees im almost entirely riding on autopilot zoned out. Even if im doing something intentional for a video or to demonstrate im not thinkning much at all about what im doing. I find ill think before the run and after the run about what i will do or what i did and what happened but not much during the run at all. I think its from racing mountain bikes i learned to just zone out and ride on a kind of trained focused instinct vs active thinking about what is going.

I do joke to my friends though that the reason i listen to metal while riding is just to drown out the screams of terror in my head though 🤣

9 minutes ago, monodude said:

No internal dialog here. I'm so intensely focused on the moment that nothing else exists. I used to listen to heavy death metal, but it got me riding more aggressive than my body could handle. I typically ride 50 - 60mph  so I don't want any mental distractions. 

No schitt... At the speed you ride time starts to dilate.

• Haha 3

"omg, what is that moron doing!"  "why is that jackass stopping right there?!?"   "oh yah, that's brilliant, lets all line up & stop on the knoll so no one else can get by!"   "Why cant that dolt just ski his line?"  "please don't let this idiot smack his skis all over my board on the lift!"     "great, all the Jerrys collecting at the top of the lift leaving no room to unload".   

Sometimes this dialogue is not just internal!

• Like 2

Look into the turn.  Remember to breathe.  Don't twist the board. 

On 9/13/2019 at 12:27 PM, slopestar said:

breathing in during transition and breathing out during initiation and apex has been good for me

Yes, kind of like how you're supposed to exhale during a squat or bench press.

1 hour ago, Jack M said:

Look into the turn.  Remember to breathe.  Don't twist the board. 

Yes, kind of like how you're supposed to exhale during a squat or bench press.

Katherine-Hilde Engeli during one of the coaching sessions at SG camp, emphasized that breathing is key to good carving.

when you breath out during press you, stabilize your stomach and core -  that leads to better carving.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, slapos said:

Katherine-Hilde Engeli during one of the coaching sessions at SG camp, emphasized that breathing is key to good carving.

when you breath out during press you, stabilize your stomach and core -  that leads to better carving.

...  "belly breathing" which brings your center of gravity low and calms you down. In contradiction to chest breathing which adds stress and bring your CoG up.

I'll try to focus on belly breathing, look ahead and into the curve as well a initiating the turn centered with both feet (toe /heel) first. Knees & hip follow, upper body stays stable and "vertical" (race style). This gives me the most stable ride and the capability to react fast in our overly crowded resorts here in EU.

Edited by wulf

I'm going to call that a placebo.  You can't change your C. of G. with how you breathe.  

However, it distracts the active brain, letting your natural learned reactions control things in a more fluid way.  Excellent examples of this are in Inner Game of Tennis by Gallwey.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/16/2019 at 7:27 PM, Corey said:

I'm going to call that a placebo.  You can't change your C. of G. with how you breathe.  

However, it distracts the active brain, letting your natural learned reactions control things in a more fluid way.  Excellent examples of this are in Inner Game of Tennis by Gallwey.  

... it works. Give that breathing a try ...;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Big Mario sings ABBA’s greatest hits.  Except for that one season where all he sang was Livin’ On A Prayer.

You wouldn’t believe the mental anguish I’ve suffer after riding with him for ~15 years.

Edited by D.T.
  • Haha 4