Note to New Members ×

Old school gs race fundraiser event type thing interest query.....

alpinegirl

Hey folks of the north east....

I had an event get shot down (plans a, b and perhaps c) and am toying with the idea of creating a fundraiser event for a non profit that I work with. In being a dork I would like to put together a old school gs race. Old school = course set for the terrain,  fastest time wins.  Classes dependent on registrants.  

How far would you drive for such an event? What is it worth to you? 13th place gets coffee. 

• Like 3

Honestly, in consideration of the 3 hour travel radius it isn't viable.  Within the silver lining, we still see the organization pursuing an event for 2021 in the Catskills. 

In my twenties i would plan an event 6-10 hours from my home.  But i want to keep local sponsors and raise awareness within my own region for multiple reasons. 

We may see something come together at a hill in the finger lakes or western ny. It will be open to everyone. 

https://www.ridingoninsulin.org/

Does Epic vs. Icon mountain become part of the conversation?  Epic just bought Hunter (Huntah) in the Catskills.  Just saw that Vail day tickets durring the holidays are $169 if you buy in advance.  Makes the MCC seem like the bargin of a lifetime. 

How about a charity race event there?

To be completely transparent:

There is no Epic vs. Icon debate. Oddly enough, Hunter is in the target region for a day camp. My region does not fall under that umbrella.

In the end, my question was answered. I completely respect the time spent travelling thing. I can pursue something local (western ny) to raise funds and awareness to support the organization, but I wouldn't be steering it towards a fast crowd. It is something that I want to plug into my region because I really respect the organization and its mission to activate, connect and empower the diabetes community. My region happens to be beautiful and full of pretty amazing people. This group happens to tweak the focus towards a more adolescent target and I think that that's much needed.  

I suggested an alpine race because the founder is a former racer turned backcountry pro. I learned about the organization via Mike Trapp and Mimi Wienke who were teammates of his when he was diagnosed.

The snow community is awesome.

• Like 2