Note to New Members ×

Softboot Carving with Riser Plates

JohnE

Anyone here have experience with softboot carving with riser plates? I know that Donek makes some. 

I assume the advantage is that by moving the boot soles higher above the edge, one can have more boot overhang without "boot-out". 

What are the disadvantages (aside from weight)? 

My experience with Palmer Plates, Bomber Power Plates, Burton Elevators and Apex Gecko Stealth risers is that they did well for giving enough lift to allow a bigger footed rider to ride narrower boards but ultimately I am riding without them now.

My favorite of them was the Bomber Power Plates as the ability to adjust cant/lift plus the ability to swap different durometer pads under them is awesome (I prefer the hard durometer rings), but the weight is the biggest drawback to them.

The Palmer Plates worked but were not that great as they are not that durable and are very hard to find now. The PLS shock system was the best they made.

A lot of people love the Apex Geckos, but I found they isolated board feel too much, and for what they cost it was not worth it for me, so I sold mine.

The Burton Elevators are junk so don’t bother with them.

i have not ridden the Donek risers, but they looked well made, but not sure if they are available anymore as the Donek website has said sold out for over a year now.

Some of the other members here have experimented with 3d printing cant/lift plates and from all accounts had great success with that.

good luck and hope you find something  that works.

Edited by svr

I got some Butron Plates. Works well when you need it. Board feels narrower, reacts a bit faster and you boot out less then without em. I tried it with hardboots too, pretty much the same, except that I don't really need it for hardboots. 

I cannot comment on other plates, I'd say Gecko seems to be the best one. Burtons that I have are pretty average, I'm quite surprised I haven't broke em yet. It would be almost impossible to find Palmer PLS plates. 

23 hours ago, svr said:

The Palmer Plates worked but were not that great as they are not that durable and are very hard to find now. The PLS shock system was the best they made.

I’ve got a set of the Palmer 10mm risers (hardware included) that I would donate to the experiment for the cost of shipping. I found that rocking Palmer’s clown hairstyle had a similarly strong effect on my riding.

• Haha 4

i now use the gecko cross with red bumpers and installed asymmetrically, correlated to binding angles. also use the gecko stealths with red bumpers, but i did have to get the taller 10mm insert extensions as opposed to the 5mm ones with black bumpers that come with the stealths.

FYI: gecko cross/stealth/free plates are all too wide to put on an alpine board, say 20cm waist. need the carve plate to use alpine. doh!

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve used the Palmers on an Oxess to race competitive SBX, and they worked a treat. 

I have since used the Gecko Stealth plates on the recent Sims Terry Kidwell, the Alloy DO161, and the Coiler FR SBX 160 all with Ride El Hefes (there are videos of the last two, floating around on this site).

I really enjoy using them, and find that they really quicken up the edge-to-edge response of a wide board. I love to tip the board over as far as I can, and these plates help me avoid grounding the heel cups. 

As for disadvantages? Given the lower comparative height of a raised soft boot set up to a ‘lifted’ hard boot set up, I didn’t find it less stable. I took the Coiler up to 73mph, and at pant-soiling speeds, it still didn’t feel less stable, being a little taller than a flat-to-the-deck set up. 

Personally, I really like the way risers allow the board to perform. 

Hope that helps...

On 9/5/2019 at 2:16 PM, dhamann said:

i now use the gecko cross with red bumpers and installed asymmetrically, correlated to binding angles. also use the gecko stealths with red bumpers, but i did have to get the taller 10mm insert extensions as opposed to the 5mm ones with black bumpers that come with the stealths.

FYI: gecko cross/stealth/free plates are all too wide to put on an alpine board, say 20cm waist. need the carve plate to use alpine. doh!

We build our own plates for alpine that are very light, that makes the board run very smoothly, quicker edge to edge, and gives a lot of edge grip.

And for sure more clearance to the boots.

Starting from a simple delrin sheet, all the risers gives advantages in carving, in soft or hard boots some works better than the other.

IMG-20181124-WA0039.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've ridden with 3/4" homemade risers under my K2 Cinch bindings.  The ride feels the same to me, but I don't bootout as often when riding low angles like +10,0 or +10,-10.  I think it makes a big difference. Mine are made from PVC trimboard , weigh only a few ounces and cost only a few $.

I have ridden the gecko cross andstealth’s with different combos of bushings and symmetrical and asymmetrical set ups. I found that I gained more eff edge to carve with and while the cross is heavier than the stealth, I preferred the cross. I test rode them on multiple wintersticks couple seasons ago and different lengths for Wescott, roundtail, severe terrain, Burt, etc. I built a custom 64 Wescott that’s mated with cross set asym. I really like the feel. I got a sweet deal on the geckos on BOL used. 

I've put my Geckos under soft and hard boots... I really like them.   A light plate feel but allowing for pedaling.  With them I can ride respectable angles with my softboots.  With my hardboots it means I can ride all day.

Edited by lonbordin
Doh

I bought a pair of BX Risers from Donek. I've not yet tried them. He tells me that they are made from UHMW polyethylene. They are 1/2" thick. I haven't yet mounted them. I thought I would start my season without them and maybe install them later in the season when the snow gets softer and bootout is more likely. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I bought & used Donek riser plates for my softboot carving setup last season. I started the season without them when the snow was thin & hard. Once the snow got thicker & softer, I installed the risers. 

Aside from the slight additional weight, I hardly notice them except that I am less likely to boot drag at higher angles.