Note to New Members ×

The EPA and Regulating the Ski Wax Industry

FrankNBeans

Testing of well, stream, and river water around ski resorts revealed some pretty shocking concentrations of perfluorochemicals. Let alone local dumps where thousands of pounds of wax shavings end up. I've seen the amount of wax a junior race team uses and it's incredible. Who knows if the polymer resins that have recently sprung up as an alternative to waxing might be the real future. Hmmm.. 

I have been using non-flouro Bio-Swix for a long time.  As fast as any wax I have ever used.  I am not a racer, but consistently blow by skiers on all the flats.  Of course knowing when to let it run helps...  Seem to always get comments on glide.  Then again, I avoid non-snow surfaces as well.

• 3 weeks later...

My buddy works for the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, I gotta have him give a reply here. He knows all about PFAS. From what I've heard, it's some nasty stuff. Here in MN, where a large 3M factory exists(ed?), a significant portion of a whole county showed positive for PFAS in their bloodstream. 3M said it's such low amounts and nothing to worry about, but what else would they say as of now.