Note to New Members ×

Best jacket

JohnE

Opinions on the "best" jacket or parka for snowboarding?

Seems like Arcteryx are widely considered the best but pricey. I think they're original stuff was really good but lately they've lent their name to some lower quality stuff. 

I have a North Face jacket with some thin insulation. I like it pretty well but the hood is too small to easily fit over a helmet. Also, the hood is insulated which for me is unnecessary. The hood does not detach so when I'm not using it, it appears that I have a second small head. Also, the zippers seem to have become difficult to slide. 

For me the important aspects are warmth in very cold weather (like -20 deg F), windproof, usable pockets. Waterproofness isn't really important to me since I rarely ride in damp conditions.

Favorites? 

11 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Warmth for me comes from whatever you layer under the jacket. I use the same shell in all conditions and change layers accordingly. 

Same for me.  Same shell from -40 to above freezing.  My requirements:

1. Waterproof/breathable
  2. Pit zips
  3. No or very light insulation

The last one seems odd given I'm usually in a deep freeze, but I prefer being able to add a layer of insulation than rocking the open/flapping jacket look when it gets near melting temps.  

My secret 4th requirement is that it's available on the discount rack.  I don't care about wearing 'last year's color'.  😉 

• Like 1

I like Outdoor Research, big hoods and lots of pockets. Powder skirts work well and they have:

THE INFINITE GUARANTEE®

Outdoor Research® gear is guaranteed to perform throughout the lifetime of the product. 

I've taken them up on this a couple of times and both replacements were a step up in price over the item I had replaced.

(no cost to me)

Both times was simply stitching coming loose (Goretex mittens from dragging the tips of my fingers and the back of a jacket from riding the lift.)  and that was after 5+ years, they are awesome.

My last two jackets have both been Orage Alaskan jackets - I bought a new one after my old one gave up the ghost. There have been both insulated and shell versions in the past, I've used the insulated one. Very warm (my current one uses Primaloft Gold, which I've found is noticeably warmer than vanilla Primaloft even with less volume of insulation), fully-featured, and I got my last one at Evo.com in late spring / early summer for something like $100 (MSRP is $400). 

Edited by Dan

Fred Mertz checking in.  My favorite and "best jacket" is the loose cut size large jacket that is 85 % off, normally about this time of year.  Always found on-line and never in my preferred color but that's the only reason that i ever wear anything other than black, so it works out.  

Grease, snags on trees, frozen cord the cafeteria always have me looking to save$ in this department 

That said, I like the AK stuff I've had but they need better QC with zippers.

Edited by davekempmeister
  • Like 1

FA Designs is worth a look, made by a fellow alpiner!  I've had the Subsonic (shell) and Auxiliary (insulated).  The Aux is very warm but also very lightweight for an insulated jacket.  The outer material is exceptionally waterproof and breathable.  The zippers are tops.  The hood fits over a helmet and works well.  If you regularly drag body parts across frozen granular, you will want to reinforce the fabric in those areas, or look elsewhere. (Aerostitch?)