Tfr57

First time alpine setup

I have been looking to get an alpine board for racing but have no clue what their about. I came up with a setup, donek pilot, deluxe track 325, f2 carve rs. And was wondering if it would work out for me. Keep in mind I’m a sophomore in high school. Thanks

Just now, Tfr57 said:

Keep in mind I’m a sophomore in high school.

Is this to suggest a financial limitation or to suggest that you'll be growing and want something to grow into? Or perhaps something else?

Just now, Tfr57 said:

what their about.

Study is more important than snowboarding.

Edited by daveo
  • Haha 1

I would also add, how long have you been hardbooting as well? 

The first year is fun and scary. If you go to Nationals, your biggest hurdle firt year is actually yourself, as nerves get you (even though they should not and everyone is awesome there). 

I guess to answer your question, the answer depends on what level a rider you are at, and what your goals are.

6 hours ago, Tfr57 said:

I have been looking to get an alpine board for racing but have no clue what their about. I came up with a setup, donek pilot, deluxe track 325, f2 carve rs. And was wondering if it would work out for me. Keep in mind I’m a sophomore in high school. Thanks

Welcome Tfr!  The very first step in this journey is to be able to really carve your existing gear.  Can you change edges before the board points downhill and ride the sidecut around?  There are some tech articles here at alpinesnowboarder.com.  Let's assume you can or will soon, next you need alpine gear.

If you want something new on a budget the Pilot is good, the Pulse is better.  A new Coiler would be about as much as a Pulse but they may be sold out already for next year.  I would also recommend looking for used race boards here in our classifieds - look for Kessler, SG, Oxess, Donek Rev, Coiler, F2.  For boots if you have high volume feet Deeluxe is good, but for average shaped feet I would look to UPZ for better heel hold.  If you're looking at a Donek/Deeluxe package, Deeluxe boots can be improved for average feet with custom footbeds and extra padding for heel hold.  Bindings, step up to the F2 Race Titanium.  They're not nearly as stiff as they sound and they will be better and longer lasting than the Carve RS.

Do let us know your height, weight and ability/experience and if you have any specific questions.  Are you looking for one board for all racing, or a slalom and a GS?

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

I'm all for getting the most control from your boots and the two things you can do for a reasonable cost is to add BTS  (boot tuning system) and booster straps.

BoosterStrapBoot.jpg

I'm surprised no one has suggested a plate yet.  😉  No, you don't need one!  

Jack M's post is spot on.  This is a decent setup, and for a small upcharge you can swap out the bindings for something you can use for a lot longer.  

The skills you develop early on are of much higher importance than any equipment you can buy.  i.e. You don't need to buy a Ferrari to learn how to drive a car.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Corey said:

I'm surprised no one has suggested a plate yet. 

:biggthump............🤣🤣🤣.............😉

9 minutes ago, Corey said:

I'm surprised no one has suggested a plate yet.  😉  No, you don't need one!

I see you.

Corey is right, you'll need two. One for GS one for SL. Just kidding, one will do. Jokes, you don't need one.

Edited by daveo

Well if you don't have a plate the others will just mock you and the cool girls will ignore you but you will get over it if you win a few races Good Luck !

1 hour ago, lowrider said:

Well if you don't have a plate the others will just mock you and the cool girls will ignore you but you will get over it if you win a few races Good Luck !

But how will he win without a plate? 

34 minutes ago, daveo said:

But how will he win without a plate? 

a) With the help of a good coach.

b) By developing the skills to be really fast (while remaining in control) in a race course.

c) By applying the appropriate/best technique and tactics for the conditions/course.

However, a rider with the same skills/abilities will be even faster with a modern race board and a plate.

16 hours ago, Jack M said:

Welcome Tfr!  The very first step in this journey is to be able to really carve your existing gear.  Can you change edges before the board points downhill and ride the sidecut around?  There are some tech articles here at alpinesnowboarder.com.  Let's assume you can or will soon, next you need alpine gear.

If you want something new on a budget the Pilot is good, the Pulse is better.  A new Coiler would be about as much as a Pulse but they may be sold out already for next year.  I would also recommend looking for used race boards here in our classifieds

look for Kessler, SG, Oxess, Donek Rev, Coiler, F2.  For boots if you have high volume feet Deeluxe is good, but for average shaped feet I would look to UPZ for better heel hold.  If you're looking at a Donek/Deeluxe package, Deeluxe boots can be improved for average feet with custom footbeds and extra padding for heel hold.  Bindings, step up to the F2 Race Titanium.  They're not nearly as stiff as they sound and they will be better and longer lasting than the Carve RS.

Do let us know your height, weight and ability/experience and if you have any specific questions.  Are you looking for one board for all racing, or a slalom and a GS?

Good luck!

I’m 5,6 at 140lbs. Been racing one year and doing park And all mountain 5 years. I have a boardercross board but am in need of a gs/slalom board.

6 hours ago, Tfr57 said:

I’m 5,6 at 140lbs. Been racing one year and doing park And all mountain 5 years. I have a boardercross board but am in need of a gs/slalom board.

For GS I would recommend something around 170cm, and for SL, around 155.  If you get something in between it won't be very good for either event.  I would suggest buying a GS board and then use your BX board for SL.  You could put hardboots on it or not.  My nephew who is smaller than you and not an expert is using UPZ RC11 boots and F2 Race Titanium bindings, fwiw.

Spoke to a German World Cup racer recently with a beginner (never snowboarded) friend of mine who bought a set of boots, bindings and board (mountain slope wc, f2 race ti, sg fc163) to start his snowboarding adventure and he mentioned, almost shocked, that he is missing the most important thing- a plate, even for a beginner. 

http://www.truesport.store/index.php/product/vist-plates-silver/

vist_plates_symmetric.jpg

Edited by daveo

A plate is not necessary to get started.   If you want to podium in open class, sure, then get a plate.  Or if you have money to burn.  Most USASA youth racers are on softboots and freestyle boards, so just having an alpine setup gives you an advantage already.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, daveo said:

Spoke to a German World Cup racer recently with a beginner (never snowboarded) friend of mine who bought a set of boots, bindings and board (mountain slope wc, f2 race ti, sg fc163) to start his snowboarding adventure and he mentioned, almost shocked, that he is missing the most important thing- a plate, even for a beginner. 

Sounds like the racer is way too far down the rabbit hole to be providing advice to beginners.