Note to New Members ×

Plate vs. No Plate?

snowburn

16 hours ago, lordmetroland said:

I'm totally confused by this. Do you mean that I can't seek a refund if the leg-breaking is not to my satisfaction? Or if the leg in question fails to stay broken? Or are you suggesting I cannot petition for money back from my Holy and Omnipotent Creator if the leg is broken in the first place? This, of course, is ridiculous, because an Omnipotent Creator would never produce an imperfect leg in the first place, making it clear that the break is my responsibility. Snowboarding is hard...

All of the above, obviously.

Edit: sorry tuned out half way through that epic paragraph. Got through it this time. One might believe you're over thinking things. But all in all yes, God and stuff and things. Amen. 

Edited by daveo

On 6/8/2019 at 6:54 PM, Jack M said:

I would recommend either the Donek AF or Apex X over any Vist gen-1 type plates.

Jack....are  you saying that if I love my UPM BP V2 4mm lite....and I Do!    ....that I'm gonna be OMG!!! with a UPM Donek or Vist plate??

I have a set of Hangl plates that I pulled off a used Prior wcrm metal a few years ago because they made the board seem too heavy without helping my riding.  Anyone here have an opinion as to whether it would be worth it to put them back on next season?   

On 6/16/2019 at 9:12 PM, barryj said:

Jack....are  you saying that if I love my UPM BP V2 4mm lite....and I Do!    ....that I'm gonna be OMG!!! with a UPM Donek or Vist plate??

I never rode the 4mm lite, but I felt the 5mm V1 was too stiff in every way. Your plate sounds like it might be more like an Apex X, just taller. So I’d say my answer to your question is no. And I don’t think a UPM Vist plate exists. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/19/2019 at 4:20 PM, darko714 said:

I have a set of Hangl plates that I pulled off a used Prior wcrm metal a few years ago because they made the board seem too heavy without helping my riding.  Anyone here have an opinion as to whether it would be worth it to put them back on next season?   

Yeah, in a narrow set of conditions hangls work really effing well. The rest of the time they are the pits. 

Icy day with a moderate amount of chop and they work every bit as well as most other systems at low but not slow speeds.

the rest of the time they’re too heavy, don’t filter as much out as most other systems, too heavy, have too many parts to lose, are too heavy, put a lot of pressure on the points they mount to the board, are too heavy, are a nightmare to swap between board and, did I mention they’re too heavy? 

The hangls in my experience work way way better on a slalom type board than any other type of board. I still have a hangl only Kessler I contemplated T-nutting it but could bear the idea of hurting the old girl. That board, is the finest piece of engineering I’ve ever been lucky enough to attach to my boots. 

On 6/19/2019 at 10:33 PM, Jack M said:

I never rode the 4mm lite, but I felt the 5mm V1 was too stiff in every way. Your plate sounds like it might be more like an Apex X, just taller. So I’d say my answer to your question is no. And I don’t think a UPM Vist plate exists. 

Anyone that rides sugarloaf have  5mil plate? Wanna try one, I’m fat, the stiff 4mil is almost too soft for me....... 

As www.carvers.it we made a lot of tests on different materials.

Almost all the plates we have ride gives advantages and disadvantages.

The main problem is the weight.

So we decided to build our own plate starting from a disc of delrin, a square of rubber and a sheet of aluminum.

After some years of evolution and changes now we are building a very light and performing plate that gives a smooth riding with quick response and a lot of edge grip.

IMG-20181124-WA0039.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2019 at 2:48 PM, snowburn said:

... Now I would like to lay it down!

If you want to go on the path of Extreme Carving (EC) to lay it down, forget isolation plates, buy an EC board with softer hardboots like the Deeluxe 325 or the UPZ XC12. EC boards are wider, more versatile than thin and stiff race boards. The stance is also more comfortable, rear foot is usually between 45 and 50 deg.... Combined with softer boots you will have a setup you can ride all day, carving the groomers and laying it down in the morning and still carve the chops in the afternoon...

• Thanks 1