Note to New Members ×

It’s gonna be a long summer (off season purchases)

Jack M

2 hours ago, Jack M said:

Anyone else torturing themselves with a post-season/summer gear purchase?

EF59DEF4-AFEC-4906-9350-EE787F008B7B.jpeg

Aaaaaaaaugh!

Bye step-ins... for now?

How easily can you touch your toes? Time to start doing hamstring stretches so that the change from stepins doesn't strain your lower back next winter. 

• Haha 1

I was already buckling/unbuckling my UPZs every run, so I figured what’s one more clip?  I got some standards this past winter to see if I could tolerate them. I can. I will miss the step-ins, but I just have to try these boots! #yolo #midlifecrisis

• Haha 2

@Jack M are you going to roll with the liners or get new fellas?

If you buckle/unbuckle you're in for a treat, the ladders aren't very umm hooky and after I unbuckle, especially the ankle one, they have a tendency to go pop and the strap comes off the ladder, infuriating after it happens a few times haha. Fixed it with a little clip thing though to mimic the gstyle ones. At least a little handle thing on the strap like on deeluxe would be nice.

Just a heads up, not sure if this will affect you. The new F2 bindings fit perfectly, a little too perfect. So perfect that any snow build up in the boot heel binding receiver thing will mean the boot will disengage while riding. Happened to me. Didn't die but was a shock. Kept my idiot strap out of my mitts to clear the receiver of any buildup from then on.

Unboxing...

They arrived late last night and I was finally able to try them on this morning.  They feel great.  I got just the right size, 28.0, which puts me at the end of the range for the "C" shell.  I have a perfect one finger of space between my heel and the shell with the liner out and big toe touching the front.  As far as I can tell without having a board to clip into, I'm glad I got the World Cup version.  Straight out of the box, forward flex is much softer than my UPZs with gray tongues.  It is very even and seems to be mostly controlled by the BTS-like spring mechanism, not by boot deformation.  I foresee myself switching to the supplied stiffer yellow springs by lunchtime on day one.  I can't tell lateral stiffness without a board.

The boots are remarkably lightweight.  This is striking while walking around and just holding them in your hand.  This should be a welcome performance upgrade.

The stock liner is moldable and seems worth a try.  Can't wait to mold them with my custom footbeds and ride!  I'm not ruling out switching to Intuition or maybe Zipfit though.

Included in the box were stiffer yellow forward flex springs, thin flat sole shims to take up a little more space if needed, and eccentric ankle hinge carriers to change cuff cant.  Boots came with centered carriers installed.

83446487-B10A-4FC5-A5E4-F11E69540133.jpeg

School Bus Yellow.

FF674044-D67D-4CF2-8B02-427C4A5E32F3.jpeg

feeling good.  The tongue hinge is slotted such that it slides forward a bit as you flex the boot.

6FB39157-D75D-4511-A8E8-917ECE1D1E7A.jpeg

72234DEC-7561-41AE-8663-2BD69DA400B0.jpeg

The sole board, which fits into the depression in the bottom of the boot, below.  I think I will keep my 6 degree toe lift on the front foot.

F4B246D0-E4BE-4F7C-8AB9-F646C270D96F.jpeg

4BC46E4A-7421-4E33-B34E-8C46B130D9BD.jpeg

E87E4B41-6AA2-4C29-BF97-F527C534966A.jpeg

Very excited to try them.

• Like 1

I torture myself also with a fresh pair of 951 wc. Done the switch from standard ones.

Second torture is a brand new allflex sitting and waiting.

I am also pondering an amicss slalom board...

Edited by slapos
  • Like 2

I've decided after 30 years of riding burton 3 strap bindings and K2 step ins with powder boards to take it to the next level and go alpine with hard boots. Donek 175 Secret with F2 Titanium step in and Upz RC12 boots. 

IMG_20190606_222030365[1].jpg

IMG_20190606_221820586[1].jpg

Edited by snowburn
grammer
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, snowburn said:

I've decided after 30 years of riding burton 3 strap bindings and K2 step ins with powder boards to take it to the next level and go alpine with hard boots. Donek 175 Secret with F2 Titanium step in and Upz RC12 boots. 

All in. I like it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AgassizSkidder said:

My new UPZ RC12’s arrived yesterday. The liner is actually comfortable now! It’s going to be a long summer!

Liner feels comfortable to me too. but since i'm new to hard booting what do I know. Ha.

1 hour ago, snowburn said:

Liner feels comfortable to me too. but since i'm new to hard booting what do I know. Ha.

Probably enough to know what comfortable feet are!! :ices_ange ...until you get on the mountain and die in pain. haha

On 6/6/2019 at 1:09 PM, snowwjob1 said:

Yes I am. I did get one day on mine and the wife got 3. Winter is further away today then it is tomorrow! Enjoy the summer, visualize the carve and pray for ❄.

Coiler2.jpg.808f0576244dbec4da7885554056b75c.jpg

What's the board on the left? Kinda looks like a women's hardboot bxfr or something of the like?

10 hours ago, daveo said:

Do your RC12 have the new spring mech? 

Same springs as usual. 

2 hours ago, snowburn said:

I actually pulled the old original liners out of the closet last season and tried them again. Instant pain. The new liners are really nice. Even the footbed is decent.