Note to New Members ×

Mammoth going strong

Pokolikrat

@lowrider Southerly blast from Antarctica chilling the country as I write with snow to low levels in the South Island. No fields open for actual skiing/boarding on the mountains yet, but with another chilly system from the Antarctic due next week that won't be far away. For a range of reasons I won't be riding this Southern winter, and will just have to survive on the fortnight I had in Aspen in February. (Now there's a First World Problem, if ever I saw one 😉)

Each time I ride I try to be "better" in some way than I was before, always looking to progress. So far, despite getting older (60 earlier this year) I'm still progressing. Meanwhile, I'll be working on my mountain biking skills in the Dyfi Forest when I spend a month in Wales in Aug/Sept. (Welsh wife doing PhD at Welsh University).

• Like 1

Welsh history topic. UofW @ Aberystwyth. Not bad for someone whose original degree was in Biochemistry/Genetics, then raised two daughters and ran the house while I got my post med school professional qualifications, and then did heavy ICU on call for the next 12 years. She'd always enjoyed history, so went back to it, BA, then MA, and now PhD student in her early 60s. Lifelong learning is common in both our families. 

22 minutes ago, SunSurfer said:

Welsh history topic. Not bad for someone whose original degree was in Biochemistry/Genetics

Big switch! Good for her! Always admire those who are multidisciplinary masters.

23 minutes ago, SunSurfer said:

Lifelong learning is common in both our families. 

That's great!! I think learning is the most important thing in life. Well, physical health and fitness, also.

Wish it was that way in my family. Slowly seeing all my nieces and nephews turn into unfortunate blobs of nothing. Same happened to my sisters.

Well, at least my partner and I have a different attitude...

• Like 1