Note to New Members ×

The bottom line

1xsculler

13 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Translation: you need to fall once in a while. 

For the young guys - Yes.  

For older guys (you define 'older' however you want), you don't necessarily need to fall.  But, push it a bit.  How hard you push your limits is your personal balance of risk/reward.  You learn faster if you make big steps into the unknown, but that's your call if it's worth it or not. 

i.e. I'm a little bold on a snowboard but downright timid on a skateboard.  I just don't feel the need to push myself as I don't care about progression that much.  

• 2 weeks later...

The guy in the first photo is me, Larry Castruita. The photo was taken by Hal Williams a professional photographer in Aspen. It was shot at Ajax. The session included Cliff Ahumada, and Alexis of Carving Magazine. The shot and others were taken for the magazine's 3rd issue which never printed. I had written an article for the issue including some technical tips to include graphic art by Alexis but again it never published. I had met Mike Doyle surfing in Cabo. He invited me to one of Cliff's early Expression Sessions. When I met Mike at the session he devoted his entire afternoon to working on my heal turn which had been failing. I owe my heal turn completely to Mike. As some of you may know Mike passed away recently. I've just returned from his paddle out in Cabo. I also wrote a tribute to Mike for Mountain Life Magazine that should feature in their next issue. MLM and I also discussed an article on carving for an issue this winter. My hope is that the photo and others will be used with the winter article so let's keep that photo from circulating so that it will be considered. I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Larry Castruita

• Like 4

On 6/7/2019 at 9:30 PM, Mtnsurfdog said:

The guy in the first photo is me, Larry Castruita. The photo was taken by Hal Williams a professional photographer in Aspen. It was shot at Ajax. The session included Cliff Ahumada, and Alexis of Carving Magazine. The shot and others were taken for the magazine's 3rd issue which never printed. I had written an article for the issue including some technical tips to include graphic art by Alexis but again it never published. I had met Mike Doyle surfing in Cabo. He invited me to one of Cliff's early Expression Sessions. When I met Mike at the session he devoted his entire afternoon to working on my heal turn which had been failing. I owe my heal turn completely to Mike. As some of you may know Mike passed away recently. I've just returned from his paddle out in Cabo. I also wrote a tribute to Mike for Mountain Life Magazine that should feature in their next issue. MLM and I also discussed an article on carving for an issue this winter. My hope is that the photo and others will be used with the winter article so let's keep that photo from circulating so that it will be considered. I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Larry Castruita

Should I delete the photo if I can figure out how to do it?  I could replace it, with Corey's permission although I didn't ask him if I could post his toeside, with one of his heelsides.

You can post pictures of me as you see fit.  

^^ Is there any way to write something like that without seeming like an arrogant a***ole?  😄😛

I'll pull Larry's awesome picture from the first post now.  Hopefully we see it in print sometime soon!  

• Haha 1