Note to New Members ×

The bottom line

1xsculler

If I can’t learn to do this I won’t be able to call myself a carver. I mean, what else is there? I’m not interested in extreme carving, race carving, deep pow or soft boot carving just plain, hard core, down and dirty pencil line free carving on groomers. That’s all I have enough B-days left for  

I thought I had a good heelside of Corey but I guess I don’t. 

(Larry's pic deleted at his request)

85F877C1-974D-4C44-93F3-1B018F99C02D.jpeg

@1xsculler you are setting yourself up for failure with that attitude.  Reading your post bummed me out.  You should try to look at this as a journey and enjoy this ride.  Don’t you have fun getting out there and improving each and every time?  I know I do.  I’ve been carving in hardboots since 1990 and have several pictures of myself similar to the ones you referenced.  However, I still aim to get better on every turn.  That’s one of the things that I love about carving - the constant over analysis of my and other’s riding.  The technical side of the sport is what keeps us all here on this forum in summer talking about it.

2 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

I mean, what else is there?

Enjoy your time on the hill, think about it on the way home, think about it as you fall asleep, talk about it with all of us here, obsess over new gear, enjoy pictures of others who ride like you want to.  These are all great examples of what else there is.....

A journey for sure and yes, I try to improve each and every time I go out and I enjoy doing it very much. I am obsessed with it. That first pic is the wallpaper on my phone and on my watch so I see it constantly and I tell myself, “Bob, you gotta get your knees within 12” of the snow to get your board on edge like that, heel or tie side. ”  I know it will come with lots and lots of turns IF I live long enough. 

46 minutes ago, 1xsculler said:

Had to look steezy  up.

Not all. Not me and my buddy but we’ll get there. 

Sorry I just find steezy the most ridiculous word, I finally had an opportunity to use it, so I did. I should've started my post with the word "dude" for maximum effect. My bad 😄

I like the OP attitude that's what I went for. 

Sculler what really helped me progress was getting help from qualified instructor. I would start my season, ride for a month so I feel on the top of my game. Then 2 hours of instructions to know how much I sucked at said game. Then ride on and practice pracice practice. 2 hours of instructions middle of the season. Rinse repeat. 

You'll get it.

Personally, I don't like Styles where the Body Drags on the Snow...that being said, really the only thing that can actually define Good or so called Good Carving is the Track you leave behind...I see people who Look Good and their Tracks reveal confusion as opposed to Symmetry...When it comes to Style, that is a personal taste issue IMHO 🌎👣

Cov#3.jpg

• Like 1

So this is where as an ameteur, I should just listen. I cannot.

Just pick what pleases you man, and every day, just try to push it to that little percentage more. None of us are getting any younger, or going to be world cup riders. Just put a goal and master as best you can. 

I suck at the perfect line, trimmed, smooth, and narrow. But on that rare day, I get that line, for a brief time, that holds envy or I set that one perfect heel side that someone notices. Every day, just try to better yourself man.

I will never make nirvana, but some day, we may all see you do so, as your day was better than yesterday.

On 5/25/2019 at 6:54 PM, 1xsculler said:

<deleted per Larry's request>

They say that your taste in music is pretty much set for life when you're in college.  I think the same is true for carving style...  Back in the day when I was learning to carve, the ideal body position was shoulders and hips square to the board and a lot of angulation.  The big faux pas of heelside was to "sit on the toilet", and while I know that it's a strong and fast way to carve heelside, it just doesn't look like the the prettiest style to me.  Just sayin'...

4 hours ago, Freezer said:

They say that your taste in music is pretty much set for life when you're in college.

One of my jobs is still at the uni, perhaps this is why my taste in music is constantly changing.

Figure out whats holding you back and work on it.  If you can't then bring in outside eyes.   If there isn't anyone around you then sell five of your extra boards and take a plane ride.  I managed to get the basics on my own, but I didn't become a snow augering, run destorying buffoon without the help of some fellow buffoons.  

Oh and since everyone else is making style assertions-- thin lines are lame-- there, I said it.  Trench Lyfe!

6 hours ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

I managed to get the basics on my own, but I didn't become a snow augering, run destorying buffoon without the help of some fellow buffoons.  

Yes to all of this.  I progressed more in one Aspen trip than I had in a few years prior.  

I don't think many outside our group know what they are looking at when someone is railing a turn, watching most videos here the best make it look effortless even to me. They may melt or get churned under by the Bully at night but I try to leave my mark, plowing through chicken scratch and snowmobile tracks. Let others know you were there, style will come with making  your turns "big and round".

screenshot-www.instagram.com-2019.05.28-13-30-38.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Corey said:

Yes to all of this.  I progressed more in one Aspen trip than I had in a few years prior.  

And then Corey has generously given his time and knowledge, and the pleasure of his company, to others attending the Aspen sessions. I place on record my thanks for his significant contribution, through the clinics he has run, to my enjoyment and skills.

Echoing others here. Two things will lead to skills progress. 

1/ deliberate practice on gentle slopes of the skill you wish to acquire.

2/ critique and instruction from more skilled riders who ride in the style you want to achieve.

Apply what you were taught, and repeat from 1.

9 minutes ago, SunSurfer said:

1/ deliberate practice on gentle slopes of the skill you wish to acquire.

2/ critique and instruction from more skilled riders who ride in the style you want to achieve.

I'll add to this:

3/ Push yourself into slightly uncomfortable areas.  Not 'full send' mode, but you do need to experiment near the edges of your skill set to expand it.  If you make the same turn on the same run, you'll be stuck there.  Can you lean 1 degree more than last time?  I bet you can!  

• Like 2

Personally...I stopped going Highside years ago...when you do the same run 26 times in a row, day after day you learn the qualities the Stick has to offer...what is the goal? has it ever been more than simple enjoyment of reaching the bottom with a grin?...there are many facets to what people think is Good...reaching the Older years, that perception of what Is ?changes...I remember pushing myself to carve all the way down Aztek...never made it all the way...smiled none the less