Note to New Members ×

Procuring the Kessler Alpine 168

Comapedrosa

Ok, I think I absolutely need a new Kessler 168 for next season. What’s the best way to get it? Now? Later? In Switzerland? In the US or Canada? (I’m on the West Coast)

I do realize this is a luxury problem.

Merci for your help,

CP

PS: as I mentioned in a prior post, I’m also curious about the Thirst Superconductor, so feel free to wax about that...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Comapedrosa said:

Ok, I think I absolutely need a new Kessler 168 for next season. What’s the best way to get it? Now? Later? In Switzerland? In the US or Canada? (I’m on the West Coast)

Merci for your help,

CP

PS: as I mentioned in a prior post, I’m also curious about the Thirst Superconductor, so feel free to wax about that...

I own a Superconductor, but have never ridden a Kessler, so I can't give you the input you'd need to make an informed decision. Clearly the only thing to do is buy one of each 🙂

I am not a "one-board quiver" guy, but I have found that I'm less and less willing to interrupt a day of riding to switch boards, and my Superconductor has pretty much become my go-to board for anything other than soft snow / powder, replacing my Coiler Mini-Monster. A lot more reviews in a lot more detail (by much more perceptive / skilled riders) can be found in the Reviews section of the board, but I will say that it is lively, forgiving of technique errors and less-than-ideal conditions, and has edge hold as good as  my metal boards. What's not to love? 

Edited by Dan
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2019 at 11:51 PM, Comapedrosa said:

Merci for your help,

CP

What's the freight going to be from I-carve though ?

As far as service goes and competitive pricing, Bola at All Board Sports is your best bet. If there is a problem, shipping it back and forth to CO from CA is going to be allot cheaper in the long run, than a potential warranty issue using a dealer from out of the US. I've used Henry with APEX in the past and like most dealers/manufacturers in the industry he was awesome.

I  had to send something back to Kessler once, and it was blessing that I bought that Kessler from Bola. 

• Like 2

On 5/9/2019 at 8:17 AM, daveo said:

EUR60

Not a whole lot more than buying from the other vendors mentioned.

I have purchased from all and find the selection and service from Ivan to be unequaled.

Edited by guido591

1 hour ago, barryj said:

$1440  Man!  For that K Alpine Ride It's A Steal And Soooo Worth Every Penny!

As another K devotee I can't say enough about my K168!

Maybe can get a better price than that if you ask around nicely.

Edited by daveo

On 5/15/2019 at 11:22 PM, Comapedrosa said:

Looking sharp!

What’s your advice?

plates?

no plates?

which ones?

The K168 is really something special.  It's a 10 without a plate, 11 with.  I tested 4 plates this year for an article I'm going to write.  I ended up keeping the Apex X-plate.  If that's not in the budget the Donek AF is awesome too.  Both give a nice increase in edge hold and comfort.  The Apex is a bit more flexible so it allows a bit more pedaling and is more compliant.  It's also lower to the board so once you get used to it it basically disappears. I entered the test fully biased to love the Allflex, but didn't like it at all on this board. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2019 at 4:48 AM, Jack M said:

The K168 is really something special.  It's a 10 without a plate, 11 with.  I tested 4 plates this year for an article I'm going to write.  I ended up keeping the Apex X-plate.  If that's not in the budget the Donek AF is awesome too.  Both give a nice increase in edge hold and comfort.  The Apex is a bit more flexible so it allows a bit more pedaling and is more compliant.  It's also lower to the board so once you get used to it it basically disappears. I entered the test fully biased to love the Allflex, but didn't like it at all on this board. 

Jack, this is awesome info - thanks so much. A plate comparo on this very board is exactly what I needed.

what inserts? (I like my F2 Race Ti)

thank you!!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Comapedrosa said:

Jack, this is awesome info - thanks so much. A plate comparo on this very board is exactly what I needed.

what inserts? (I like my F2 Race Ti)

thank you!!!

The Apex is available in UPM, 4x4, or Allflex mount configurations.  I went with UPM because I have 3 UPM boards.  The Donek AF is UPM only.  As mentioned above, I briefly owned another K168 with Allflex inserts for this test, for use with the Allflex and Vistflex plates.  Bindings mount to the plate with usual 4x4 inserts.

On 5/16/2019 at 12:22 AM, Comapedrosa said:

Looking sharp!

What’s your advice?

plates?

no plates?

which ones?

See Jack's comments above.  I've only ridden it without plates and it is 10/10.

Love love love it.

Edited by skidad62

7 hours ago, Jack M said:

The Apex is available in UPM, 4x4, or Allflex mount configurations.

Jack, if going with the Apex X plate, is there any reason to pick the Kessler with UPM over 4x4 inserts or vice-versa? (E.g., would UPM inserts provide better contact/less play/better longevity?)

thanks much!

CP

45 minutes ago, Comapedrosa said:

Jack, if going with the Apex X plate, is there any reason to pick the Kessler with UPM over 4x4 inserts or vice-versa? (E.g., would UPM inserts provide better contact/less play/better longevity?)

thanks much!

CP

JM probably knows more than me, but I can share the following:

Apex believes there are significant advantages to using UPM/ASIP inserts over 4x4 and that Allflex inserts provide no advantage over UPM/ASIP for the Apex plates. They are designed to use the UPM/ASIP pattern and then adapted to 4x4 and Allflex inserts.

I have that somewhere in an email or something I can dig it out at some point when I'm not so morbidly obesely lazy.

Edited by daveo