Note to New Members ×

Awesome "Vintage" Racing Videos

Jack M

Super-G... why don't we do this anymore??  Looks like a blast.  I think these boards are about 200cm?  Courtesy of @www.oldsnowboards.com, with @Rob Stevens commentating!

Ross Rebagliati GS:

https://www.facebook.com/tinklerstoys/videos/2723054397709689/

Seems like singles GS was faster than PGS.

Interesting how Fawcett dominated World Cup on stiff Cateks.  I get the impression this would be regarded as impossible today.

Mad respect!

• Like 4

Wow, thanks for posting these!

3 hours ago, Jack M said:

Super-G... why don't we do this anymore??  Looks like a blast.  I think these boards are about 200cm?  Courtesy of @www.oldsnowboards.com, with @Rob Stevens commentating!

Ross Rebagliati GS:

https://www.facebook.com/tinklerstoys/videos/2723054397709689/

Seems like singles GS was faster than PGS.

Interesting how Fawcett dominated World Cup on stiff Cateks.  I get the impression this would be regarded as impossible today.

Mad respect!

Wasn't it a Catek binding failure that put Mark Fawcett out of contention on his first run at the Nagano Olympics? His run wasn't shown on U.S. tv coverage....But,  love the watching JJA ride. He had the fastest first run at Nagano. If you watch this clip, notice that Thedo Remmelink, current US head coach, was in 3rd place, until he was knocked down to 10th.

This course looks like something between a superG and a current GS size.  No plates, no titanal...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

Wasn't it a Catek binding failure that put Mark Fawcett out of contention on his first run at the Nagano Olympics?

He was also running a Tinkler plate.  I don't remember exactly but it was either the binding or the plate that failed, or maybe both. 

4 hours ago, Jack M said:

He was also running a Tinkler plate.  I don't remember exactly but it was either the binding or the plate that failed, or maybe both. 

I was in the stands for that one but it happened outside of our view. To the best of my recollection, you're right: it was structural - the plate or the board (or both), not the bindings. I believe he was riding for Sims, but I heard once that it was actually a custom-built Prior with Sims graphics. 

Edited by Dan

I still have the original CBC TV recorded 45 minutes of Olympic GS on VHS.  It was great to watch the nice big round and flowing turns in this race!!!  

I just went back to watch and listen to the moments that Marks equipment failed.  Rob Stevens called Mark's plate a 'Derby Plate.'  You don't realize how great it is to have Hi Definition TV until you watch an old VHS tape!  

The board and plate fail at the rear binding.  It is hard to tell in the grainy recording, but it looks like the binding pulls a big chuck of the top layer of the board/plate right off ... inserts and all; the binding doesn't fail.  I too heard that this was a Prior build board, with Simms markings, that failed.

I am a Mark Fawcett fan, he was winning and still managed to deal with this bad luck with such grace and sportsmanship!!

Cheers
Rob

Edited by RCrobar
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...