Note to New Members ×

Ohhhhh jeez, more new old hardboots

bobdea

Knock-off products are a pet peeve of mine.  If I bought these I'd spend the whole time wondering if they're really as good as the real thing.  I don't like how the buckles have the toothed part on the cable.  The use of the Deeluxe forward lean selector makes no sense to me because it prevents the ankle hinge from hinging.  

The price raises questions.  Mountain Slope spent about a half million dollars creating their molds.  They are still recouping that, hence the price.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jack M said:

Knock-off products are a pet peeve of mine.  If I bought these I'd spend the whole time wondering if they're really as good as the real thing.  I don't like how the buckles have the toothed part on the cable.  The use of the Deeluxe forward lean selector makes no sense to me because it prevents the ankle hinge from hinging.  

Yup, BTS is the answer to that part(probably anyway) 

its a knock off of a knock off, How far is this gonna go?

i can live with the cable setup I think. 

Overall it’s probably a good thing, at least it suggests that the Asian and maybe even European markets are seeing some growth. 

I’m not sure how I feel about the blatant knock off aspect but on the other hand if they are good, northwave clearly has no interest in the IP or they’d of gone after mountain slope. 

More boot choices at sane prices is a win for alpine snowboarding both in terms of the end user and growth. 

I would not call MS a knock off.  It would seem they duplicated the old NW painstakingly and successfully, judging from their acceptance on the World Cup.  If MS boots are not in the budget, there are other boots for less that have stood on WC podiums.  Yeah more choice is good, and it's a good sign of the health of the sport in Asia.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bobdea said:

[...]

I’m not sure how I feel about the blatant knock off aspect but on the other hand if they are good, northwave clearly has no interest in the IP or they’d of gone after mountain slope.

[...]

I would be quite surprised if mountain slope had not talked with Northwave and closed some kind of deal (be it "Fine, just hand over $$" or  "Okay, here is a free sub-license") before they started the big investments.

• Like 1

If they go stepins I am buying!!! Also rather than BTS I prefer the pmb spring system (http://www.primeboards.pl/en/project/springs-en/). This is much lower profile and gives a great range of motion. It feels muchore seamless in flexion and extension than the BTS or ascc systems to me. I honestly can not feel the neutral as there is no dead spoy going from flexion to extension

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2019 at 12:57 PM, lowrider said:

Compared to my Scarpa AT boots that ankle hinge seems pretty high on the boot. Wonder why  HB boots haven't attempted to lower that point of the boot ?

Why should the hinge point be lower than the pivot axis of the ankle joint?

Andy why do you suppose Scarpa, (and other manufacturers) locate the hinge below that axis?

For me the pivot point on the Scarpa matches closer to my actual ankle joint. Seems that the Scarpa cuff rides up and down my shin less than other boots i have tried. I realize AT boots are designed for trecking 50% of their use but damn i find them comfy when using my Skwal. 

A translation from the store page:

Place of Origin: Plastic (Germany), Buckle (Italy), Mold Injection (China)

[summary]
 The S5 Alpine boots are a bit different from the existing Alpine boots in terms of fit.  It is designed to be comfortable under the ankle and designed to hold the ankle with the hand in hand.  It is boots that people who have suffered from foot trouble because of alpine boots have heard from rumor and buy it to buy.  Performance is also good.  Low insole inside boots low in height and the ankle cuffs are designed to be high in length, so the force calendar is good at pressurization, and the same functional design as the North Wave has the power transmission and grip.  It is particularly well suited for F2 bindings and is highly compatible with Reaction Force.

The S5 hard boots have a veil check and a front and rear rhythm, and the response is fast because the backsheets do not go inward like the North Wave.

The low shell of the boot is 20% thicker than the North Wave overall.  When pressure is applied, the low shell does not bend, the force transmission is strong and the reaction speed is high.  The material of the cuff is the same as the North Wave 950, but soft and 20% thicker.  The material of the cuff is soft.  However, the place where the foreground bundle is installed is the structure of H type and it is not soft because it is designed thick (about 25mm).  The weight is 20% thicker than the North Wave, designed to be heavier and responsive, and durable.

For your reference, Flex is as hard as a top-rated ski boots when gripping the boots.  When setting the foreground spring bundle hard and setting the angle of the foreground, the boots to be bent at the time of riding may not be bent forward, and the heel of the foot may be pressed and sick.  Set the foreground spring bundle to soft (flex) and set the foreground angle so that the boot is soft and the heel is very comfortable boots.

The foreground bundles are compatible with many things.  Spring bundles, deluxe bundles, indie spring bundles, all available bundles of deluxe boots.

There is not a wide foot and a crawl in accordance with the foot of the Asian.  Especially, it is possible to use the buckle with a long adjustment range, so that the upper part of the buckle is soft and the upper part of the buckle is soft.

The height of the heel inside the boots is designed to be low, so when you set the boots at 90 degrees, you get a comfortable natural posture as if you were wearing a sneakers.  The insole is 8mm lower than the North Wave inside the boots.  (Note that during the Alpine boots, the height of the heel of the boot is deluxe 700, UPZ (the inside of the new boots is 4mm lower) and then the S5 boots.)

The boot design of the S5 boots is designed so that the upper part of the low shell is shaped like an ears, and the ankle is designed to hold the neck of the bottle in a relaxed manner and not to press under the ankle (football, instep, soles)  Those who have been designed to feel as comfortable as wearing sneakers.  The entire ankle is gripped by the hand of the bottle as it is held securely by the hand, so the feet do not swim, and the cuffs and tongues are made of soft material, making 360 ° movement smoothly around the riding.  It has excellent performance in terms of technique.

We ordered the plant which had the experience of making the injection mold which made the ski boots mold, renewed the North Wave boots, made the foot shape wooden model, made the die, and made the scotch, and the fitting feeling is excellent.  And the plastic is made in Germany, the buckle is buckle made by the Italian buckle manufacturer and made strong by the design of high strength product.

Durable and safe using expensive materials.  It is an external copy of the original original North Wave boots. It is safe because it is made from the know-how of the mold maker that produced ski boots and produced plastic injection molds for snowboards of various companies all over the world professionally for a long time.

Mermaid boots were created by a company with many production experiences.  Adjust the thickness of the mermaid boots to make it slimmer and fit.  The mermaid boots are made to reinforce the heel parts, so that they are comfortable and comfortable to boots.  The mermaid boot tongue is hard, but the shin part is easy.  It is made with reference to the original North Wave mermaid boots. It can be used on all Alpine boots.

Note

Northwave Alpine boots have been used by many World Cup players and Olympic athletes.  I bought a used product at a high price in a foreign auction site that was discontinued for more than 10 years, and I got advice from domestic users with a boots production plan two years ago.

Those who use the North Wave Alpine boots in Korea are buying second-hand items, and the top-end version is about 5 million won.  The height of the cuff of the boot is very high in the shape of an ear, and it goes up to the ankle, and the rubber of the boots bottom is thin, and the power is transmitted well.  Some people said that you could wear the North Wave boots that you could not ride at the gate.  I felt a certain performance improvement, and now I have produced North Wave copy boots.

On the other hand, users of NorthWave have informed me that there are some drawbacks of boots.

The North Wave boots have one outshell, three size mermaid boots, and large boots.  Because the binding part of the heel is inward, it is difficult to identify the binding and it is difficult to control the center.  The foreground angle of the boot is too far forward and the foreground angle is too high.  Sadikant (adjustable) can not be controlled.  etc..

Therefore, we have produced a product that was designed by renewing all of these disadvantages one by one.

The Northwave copy boots we produce are made from low shells (272,282, 292,302) in 10mm increments to increase the fit.  For example, a 255 mm, 260 mm mermaid uses a 282 mm shell.  The 265mm, 270mm mermaid uses a 292mm shell.  So the length of the shell is 5mm ~ 15mm smaller than the boots of other companies, and the fit feeling is excellent like custom shoes.

The binding part on the back side of the boots does not go inward, so it is easy to check when the binding is worn and the center is adjustable, and the stronger front press and rhythm are better because of the lever principle.  For example, it is the same principle as installing a ski kit on UPZ boots, which is easy to adjust the center and gives a stronger grip.

It is designed to prevent the tongue from rising during strong press. It is designed to increase the thickness of the low shell and tongue by 20% and to increase the strength according to material selection.  Especially, it is designed so that there is no gap between the low shell and the tongue so that the reaction is quick and pressure can be transmitted strongly.

When you set up the angle of the boot, it makes you go over 90 degrees. And the depth of the inside of the heel is made deeper than anything, so the height of the heel of the boots is low, and the posture is comfortable in the natural position.  In other words, when the boots are set at 90 degrees, the forward leaning is small as if wearing shoes.  Nowadays, the riding style seeks comfort style that does not bend the knees very much, and the original original is hard to hit forward like high heels.  So, most of the original North Wave players install a lift kant in front of the binding, so the new UPZ this year also released a 4mm lower heel.

It is designed to be able to control Saidokant (6mm up and down, right and left) in boots. It is made of metal and above all, it is trouble-free and durable.

The boots we produce put the fittness first.  I made my feet less comfortable.  As a reference, 20 years of selling Alpine boots, I saw a lot of people who are sick because of boots, and I know the cause and cause of the sickness, so S5 boots are renewed North Wave.  In particular, to increase the feeling of fit, we made a wooden foot shape for each size, made a mold, sculpted it, put it on boots, tested the fitting, made a mold before making the mold and made a mold to improve the feeling of fit  There were a lot of modifications.  This is a product that makes feet feel better than any brand of Alpine boots.  We have heard a lot of people who have been struggling with foot problems, so we have put on a lot of shoes, so we can confidently say that we started to develop boots before the mountain slope, and it took a long time to design and mold and modify our products.  When we designed it, there was no mountain slope, and we could not refer to it.  I hope you do not misunderstand.

Some of the professional players of this year have gone out to the country and there are some people who say that the technique that was not possible with the existing Alpine boots was possible with the S5 Alpine boots.  I think it is boots that can make the best performance even in racing and extreme team edge style.

◆ Product defects occur for 3 ~ 5 years free A / S.  However, malfunctions and malfunctions of the user are subject to repair costs.

◆ When you purchase the product, we will send you the most suitable size through telephone consultation.

◆ All products purchased by us are subject to 200 million product liability insurance.

Well...that should keep you guys busy

😉🤣

Okay, so, it’s a copy but with some very key changes. 

Looking at the shells I thought at first it was just the upper boot but from this it seems there are intentional changes to the Lower boot and sure enough, compare the mountain slope heel to the s5....... completely different boot.

kinda seems like they are looking at it like they were trying to improve on it. 

Almost the opposite of what mountain slope did but started from the same point. 

Pretty cool, actually. If I didn't just buy a pair of 951, I'd try them. The price is right, but they mentioned that the last is that of an Asian foot, which means inside might be rectangular like a tissue box and high instep. G-Style do this last also. I like the low volume, slim style like Mountain Slope.

nice find...  "Asian specific Feet/fit"  Didn't even know there is a thing until recently:  Ruroc got asian fit helmet, same as Oakley asian fit sunglasses and etc.
Is it marketing gimmick due to the recent increase spending power in Asia?

Need to starting saving money now... lots of "want"...

@neanderthal  nice find on PMB spring system:  anyone else use it/feedback?

http://www.primeboards.pl/en/project/springs-en/

review:
https://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13533

prototype/more info(cross section):
https://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11201

Looks like Mountain Slope and Deeluxe had baby together 🤣

I wish they would have kept the spring system of MS as it is the easiest/best spring system compared to UPZ or Deeluxe in terms of adjusting it. 

new equipment is ALWAYS GOOD for the niche sports like ours and push other manufactures to innovate.

Knock off? Maybe/maybe not but if people say this boot is a knockoff then SG binding is a knockoff of F2 binding? I love my SG bindings which incorporates better material and adjustability than F2 bindings. The best binding I used under my feet. Perhaps this boots can be as good as MS? I guess we will find out .....

Edited by yamifumi

1 hour ago, yamifumi said:

I wish they would have kept the spring system of MS as it is the easiest/best spring system compared to UPZ or Deeluxe in terms of adjusting it. 

looking at this pic(hard to tell):  it looked like Drupi's spring system and not stock Deeluxe?  the MS spring system does look fancy.
Agree that having options are wonderful for us.

http://snowboardshop.co.kr/shop/sub_detail.asp?prod_idx=293

wishful thinking on my part: "The 265mm, 270mm mermaid uses a 292mm shell" -- which sound perfect for my feet (in between size)
Guessing "mermaid" is the version of bladder/liner come with?

8 hours ago, pow4ever said:

nice find...  "Asian specific Feet/fit"  Didn't even know there is a thing until recently:  Ruroc got asian fit helmet, same as Oakley asian fit sunglasses and etc.
Is it marketing gimmick due to the recent increase spending power in Asia?

Need to starting saving money now... lots of "want"...

@neanderthal  nice find on PMB spring system:  anyone else use it/feedback?

http://www.primeboards.pl/en/project/springs-en/

review:
https://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13533

prototype/more info(cross section):
https://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11201

Burton have made Asian fit boots for ages. Theyre wider, that's for sure, but I'm not sure what else is different. They don't stock them in Korea, so my mate from Japan bring them to Korea with him when he goes. That may have changed now, I don't know.

G-Style are more square inside, like a tissue box. Made as an Asian foot last.

Oakley have had Asian fit goggles for at least a decade. My Terje Oakley Crowbar Asian fit are at least 10 years old I think. They have extra foam around the nose to cater for the lack of nose bridge on Asian faces. They actually fit my huge nose better than the regular fit because the extra foam keeps the goggle plastic from pressing against my nose bridge. But now my partner uses them since they're the only goggle that fits her nose bridgeless big Chinese face.

I use the standard fit now since I have about 6 frames for standard fit Crowbar that I've found on sale here n there. Work well, also.

Edited by daveo

4 hours ago, pow4ever said:

looking at this pic(hard to tell):  it looked like Drupi's spring system and not stock Deeluxe?  the MS spring system does look fancy.
Agree that having options are wonderful for us.

http://snowboardshop.co.kr/shop/sub_detail.asp?prod_idx=293

wishful thinking on my part: "The 265mm, 270mm mermaid uses a 292mm shell" -- which sound perfect for my feet (in between size)
Guessing "mermaid" is the version of bladder/liner come with?

Aaaaaand that’s the third forward lean adjustment doohickey I’ve seen on it.

On 4/15/2019 at 4:16 PM, Emdee406 said:

UPZ (the inside of the new boots is 4mm lower)

On 4/15/2019 at 4:16 PM, Emdee406 said:

most of the original North Wave players install a lift kant in front of the binding, so the new UPZ this year also released a 4mm lower heel.

I know that this is quoted from a translation of the original page in Korean, but do they have an insider’s view on the 19/20 UPZs?  It would be awesome if UPZ decreased the boot ramp, especially if they did it by moving the heel towards the rear of the boot. 

Anyone have any insight on this wholly unsubstantiated rumour?

• Like 1