Note to New Members ×

Carving Snowboard Instruction Videos

SunSurfer

Trying to bring together a YouTube playlist with useful instruction videos.

"Instruction Videos - Snowboard  Carving" is one of the series of playlists on my YouTube channel. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbFkVPcmsd5oH-Oe0s3LEMw/playlists

Includes some SES Clinic videos, Marc Cirigliano's race technique series, and one of the Russian extreme carving tutorials.

Suggestions of videos you've found useful gratefully received. I will add suitable ones to the playlist.

Edit: After suggestions both as PMs and the vids below, have split some videos off for things like Pure Boarding, Swoard & Doctorfilm.RU Extreme Carving, and examples of + & - heelside styles.

Edited by SunSurfer
Updates
  • Like 2

The Sigi "ride with me" video would be great for visual learners. It demonstrates a stable balanced stance with quiet fluid body movement. Shoulders and hands level with snow, body facing same way as feet, subtle up & down body movement to set and release edge. A good thing for beginners to master before trying to drag body parts on the snow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love that Ride With Me vid. So good. Maybe that would fall into another category of amazing technique videos without specific instruction or something? I have another fitting into that category. Nevin demonstrating in high quality and some slow-mo of his particular brand of minus style carving.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can’t say I’m a big fan of those Zermatt videos... all the untrained eye will see, is that in that second video, he’s initiating turns purely with his upper body! And any beginner emulating his stance in the first video, with their upper body heavily rotated, is going to flex their back leg more, and have weight on the back foot  

The Swiss deregulated instruction a few years ago, so I’m not sure I’d hold them up as the ideal  

The CASI vids are a better representation, speaking as an instructor. 

Edited by Emdee406
Edit

On 4/3/2019 at 3:11 AM, SunSurfer said:

Trying to bring together a YouTube playlist with useful instruction videos.

"Instruction Videos - Snowboard  Carving" is one of the series of playlists on my YouTube channel. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbFkVPcmsd5oH-Oe0s3LEMw/playlists

Includes some SES Clinic videos, Marc Cirigliano's race technique series, and one of the Russian extreme carving tutorials.

Suggestions of videos you've found useful gratefully received. I will add suitable ones to the playlist.

I still owe you some video

• Thanks 1

CASI Softboot Instruction/Instructors Playlists from CASIACMS YouTube Channel

Level 1: 

Level 2: 

Level 3: 

CASI Tips (English et Francais):

PSIA-AASI  How to Snowboard Playlist

Edited by SunSurfer

10 hours ago, Emdee406 said:

Can’t say I’m a big fan of those Zermatt videos... all the untrained eye will see, is that in that second video, he’s initiating turns purely with his upper body! And any beginner emulating his stance in the first video, with their upper body heavily rotated, is going to flex their back leg more, and have weight on the back foot  

The Swiss deregulated instruction a few years ago, so I’m not sure I’d hold them up as the ideal  

The CASI vids are a better representation, speaking as an instructor. 

I agree the vids are not ideal, I have seen the first Casi vid and it is more efficient at showing how rotation works...I don't agree about how swiss snowboard teaching would be inferior to what it used to be thu... They have had a long history of teaching rotation technique, and it is obvious even in oldschool vids like Canon Surf ('87-88)where you can see swiss rider Antoine Massy (white wool cap) turns vs the french crew...He clearly use rotation and the french, even Jean Nerva are clearly in counter rotation..Denis Bertrand and Regis Rolland also..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-wrD1L_IgE

Anyway it's good that rotation is now a real subject of teaching, the term alone was not really used before the last decade...along with push-pull ( load / unload) they are the way to go whatever discipline you are doing..( ski, snowboard etc..)

• Like 1

Found a 4 video hard boot snowboarding intermediate to advanced skills instruction series, not sure if the speakers language is Japanese or Korean. The riders skill drill set is impressive, opened my eyes to quite a few things! 

The autotranslate captions setting on YouTube is kind of helpful in making the speakers intentions clearer. He has a range of other videos but they look like they're mostly aimed at softbooters.

Anyone able to make accurate translations for these?

Edited by SunSurfer