Note to New Members ×

Durable Carving Mittens

daveo

6 hours ago, dredman said:

Have you tried them?

Nope. I use Outdoor Research Mt Baker modular mitts because they have a lifetime warranty and they replace them for me for free no questions asked pretty much. Pretty cool. 

5 hours ago, Corey said:

LOL! Good point! 

57 minutes ago, daveo said:

Nope. I use Outdoor Research Mt Baker modular mitts because they have a lifetime warranty and they replace them for me for free no questions asked pretty much. Pretty cool. 

LOL! Good point! 

They just haven’t figured out yet that you are doing the equivalent of running your mitts over a belt sander every winter. 😎

My biggest requirement for mittens is to have the fewest number of seams on the palm.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, st_lupo said:

They just haven’t figured out yet that you are doing the equivalent of running your mitts over a belt sander every winter. 😎

My biggest requirement for mittens is to have the fewest number of seams on the palm.

I'm dreading that moment. My last pair lasted 4 seasons though. Plus they fit my flexmeter wrist guards under them.

Byt that's super carve is looking damn fine.

Edited by daveo

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jack M said:

If you don’t need a gauntlet, these are a great value:

https://www.kinco.com/product/1958

they have other styles too of course. 

Apparently the Thor glove is currently being redeveloped, btw! Manufactured in America this time also!

I've got a set of kincos! 🙂 While they are obviously bombproof, unfortunately they don't fit over my flexmeter wrist guards. 😞

On 3/20/2019 at 12:20 AM, daveo said:

Nope. I use Outdoor Research Mt Baker modular mitts 

I use the same mitts.  I love them.  The liners come out of the shell easier than any other two part glove I’ve seen.  They’re warm and the palm of the shell is very durable.

Just remember that the texture associated with these types of gloves act like a magnet for the snow. I had an older pair that I ditched after 1 run when the lightest touch nearly ripped my arm off... friction is a biznatch... don’t pat the dog and leather lasts longer than anything

8 hours ago, workshop7 said:

I use the same mitts.  I love them.  The liners come out of the shell easier than any other two part glove I’ve seen.  They’re warm and the palm of the shell is very durable.

They're the best! And they accommodate big wrist guards!

7 hours ago, slopestar said:

Just remember that the texture associated with these types of gloves act like a magnet for the snow. I had an older pair that I ditched after 1 run when the lightest touch nearly ripped my arm off... friction is a biznatch... don’t pat the dog and leather lasts longer than anything

I'm assuming you aren't talking about the same mitts and @workshop7 and myself use, since I used mine for 5 seasons without any such problem. They replaced mine for free when the taped seam inside started to detach (because I put them in the dryer against the care instructions....... oops)

On 3/20/2019 at 4:16 PM, st_lupo said:

Mine have 0 seams on the palm 🙂

22 minutes ago, daveo said:

I'm assuming you aren't talking about the same mitts and @workshop7 and myself use, since I used mine for 5 seasons without any such problem. T

OR mitts are great. We copied them and hand made them in leather and even with an extra long gauntlet back in 92’. Add some fleece 5 finger liners and boom

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, daveo said:

Oh right. I thought they were in production or something. Was gonna say I'd be interested!

Find a leather crafter in your area. Not sure what the new or’s look like but back then, they were 2 toned. The contact points were black and the back of the glove was a color. We used very thick black leather for the palm/thumb and a lighter thickness. Natural color for the “color” portion

• 4 weeks later...

I've been really happy with my Level gloves -- I think the model is Super Pipe. I might have 50-80 days on them (OK, I know that's one season for some of you animals), and other than a little bit of Shoe Goo, they're going strong. I know good form / good habits is the way to go, but built in wrist protection is a nice backup until the day when I lick all my bad habits 🙂

Edited by Dan