Note to New Members ×

Finishing the turn

1xsculler

It just remembered these words from a few posts back, “finish the turn” and it just dawned on me that this is THE hallmark of a well carved turn. Anybody, even me, can carve in the fall line and then skid out when I have to control speed but finishing the turn by even pointing it up hill a little when necessary has just become part of my consciousness. I am a slow learner. What more can I say. 

Another carver will be joining me here at Crystal tomorrow. Should be good for learning. 

• Like 2

Nah... the hallmark of a well carved turn is that it sets you up for the next turn and everyone who saw the turn goes, Whoa! in their minds. 😉

A well carved turn is a subjective thing, not objective.  So it means so many different things to many different people.

There are some great carvers out there that carve with a more open turn, some carve the jump turns, some drag their clothes in the snow. The only commonality is one great turn leads to another.

Edited by lonbordin
I <3 you guys.
  • Like 5

not getting straightlined from behind is also a consideration.  Sometimes gapers and perfect turns don't play nice together.  That's honestly the reason I've strayed from hardboots for so long (fear of the uphill skier taking me out).

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 11:51 AM, 1xsculler said:

It just remembered these words from a few posts back, “finish the turn” and it just dawned on me that this is THE hallmark of a well carved turn. Anybody, even me, can carve in the fall line and then skid out when I have to control speed but finishing the turn by even pointing it up hill a little when necessary has just become part of my consciousness. I am a slow learner. What more can I say. 

Another carver will be joining me here at Crystal tomorrow. Should be good for learning. 

What you describe is losing control of your speed. It happens sometimes. The better you get, the less it happens. The easier runs you ride, the less it happens. You could always follow the example of the young softboot carvers who get going too fast after two carves. Hammer a big groomer powder slash to throw a bunch of snow and make you skid look cool. 😉

Losing control of your speed is completely different than being able to still make a hard, speed control carved turn after picking up speed making more open turns. In that case, open turns are just another option for playing on the terrain!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buell said:

Losing control of your speed is completely different than being able to still make a hard, speed control carved turn after picking up speed making more open turns. In that case, open turns are just another option for playing on the terrain!

There's nothing wrong with going fast enough to not be able to make a carve back up the hill to control it.  We don't always have to link Cs.  Sometimes I like to put the hammer down.  So long as you're in control it's all good, just another way of having fun.  It's why I got into hard boots in the first place: 80s style Sims bindings over ski-liner stuffed Sorels were not cutting it at the speeds I like to run.

• Like 2

On 3/19/2019 at 10:22 AM, shawndoggy said:

not getting straightlined from behind is also a consideration.  Sometimes gapers and perfect turns don't play nice together.  That's honestly the reason I've strayed from hardboots for so long (fear of the uphill skier taking me out).

That is why I stay on Quicksilver at Crystal and never go up on weekends.  When it gets even the least bit crowded I go home...not enough B-days left to spend the last few on the injured list...I think of even the semi-minor knee injury Corey suffered on his own...can't go there..might be career ending for me...that's why I make sure I almost never even fall down except at the top or bottom of the chair when I'm on the flat and then I need help getting back up...I know, I know, quit while you're ahead...can't do it... too determined!

• Like 3

Just to add what Neil was saying.  Sometimes the terrain will determine the type of carve and how long you hold it.  last time I rode, conditions were epic two weeks ago, as I transitioned from edge to edge, just before making the toeside, I would make a small heelside, and vise versa.  Nothing too drastic, just made my carves feel better.  Knowing the trails, and transitions helps too.

7 minutes ago, billyt. said:

Love checking out my trenches under the chair.  Slopstar might have to start hitting the all-you-can-eat  buffet.  Trenches need some depth, especially with that buttery soft  snow!

Billy. Those are well skied over and it was firm

• Like 1

16 hours ago, billyt. said:

Love checking out my trenches under the chair.  Slopstar might have to start hitting the all-you-can-eat  buffet.  Trenches need some depth, especially with that buttery soft  snow!

I know this is vain but in addition to enjoying the view of my own turns from the lift, there is another benefit to riding trails under lifts.  I love the hollers of approval that come from the lift.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, workshop7 said:

I know this is vain but in addition to enjoying the view of my own turns from the lift, there is another benefit to riding trails under lifts.  I love the hollers of approval that come from the lift.

Guilty as charged here too! That can help motivation if/when you're struggling a bit. 

• Like 1

Some of us with a small sadistic streak, enjoy riding trails under a lift and watching noobs that don't read trail maps biff in the carnage wrought on said trail, not that I would do anything like that😏 

mario

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, big mario said:

Some of us with a small sadistic streak, enjoy riding trails under a lift and watching noobs that don't read trail maps biff in the carnage wrought on said trail, not that I would do anything like that😏 

mario

Hey that's not nice! I've been on the receiving end... of course it was I that was the cause of said carnage too.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, billyt. said:

I really pissed me when they moved the Quicksilver lift from a ridge where you could keep track of grandkids and your tracks 50’ into a gully. They didn’t even make it a high speed lift nor did they ask me. 

• Like 1