Note to New Members ×

Coiler Update

daveo

15 hours ago, Technick said:

I do graphics if you need help!

Received mine today, sadly the season is pretty much over...

20190329_190721.jpg

Cool board!!!

Try Saint Sauveur. Riding the last 3 days . Snowing this morning. "Supposed" to go until end of may. Who knows.

I know Saint Bruno closed yesterday. A bit early. Theres lots if snow remaining.

Edited by Poloturbo

1 minute ago, Poloturbo said:

Cool board!!!

Try Saint Sauveur. Riding the last 3 days . Snowing this morning. "Supposed" to go until end of may. Who knows.

I know Saint Bruno closed yesterday. Way earlier than last year. 

Yeah, I know but It's a bit late, it will start to rain soon in the afternoon. Will see in the coming days but I already had a pretty good season so I'm at peace with the idea that the season is over.

On 3/28/2019 at 6:56 PM, steven said:

anyone asked bruce for more than his usual amount of camber? responses/results?

I know that he has built high camber versions of some of his models. Like Lowrider mentioned, there are other factors involved to get the desired effect you’re seeking.  There are probably suitable options even without the higher camber. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, pow4ever said:

off-season bump.
What are people ordering?
Any update/insider information on various prototype that's making out the Coiler skunk work lab? 

a T4 Nirvana 178 Nuclear Energy sounded like fun

Now that the golf season is here i believe the only thing happening at Coiler  is that golf balls are being murdered at an alarming rate and bike is being prepped ready for the track. Rolling stones concert is cancelled so Bruce should be getting a good nites sleep so you don't have to worry about a monday morning build.🤔🤔 

• Haha 4

Apparently I got the last slot for 2019. 

Going with a 160 BX, decambered nose, 27cm wide, and probably carbon for extra pop. 

Not sure about the sidecut. Thinking 8/10/9 since the role of bigger sidecut cruiser is filled by the DO. I kinda want a quick all mountain thing. 

Any thoughts?

• Like 2

On 5/11/2019 at 5:16 PM, pow4ever said:

off-season bump.
What are people ordering?
Any update/insider information on various prototype that's making out the Coiler skunk work lab? 

a T4 Nirvana 178 Nuclear Energy sounded like fun

Yes, there were a couple of distinct designs he worked on this past season.   They are not on the website.  If you’re in line for a board, you may find out more about them. They are like those items at a Chinese restaurant that are only known to regulars or those that can read the Chinese menu : )

He did spend some time working on some new stuff including a line of high performance boards.  (Actually these were the Sick Day protos/demos that Bruce sent to MCC)  I believe one of the main changes had to do with a design change in the core profiles.  I spent quite a bit of time riding a Nirvana version of this board. This was my preferred ride for fast firm conditions.  Great ice performance and when things start to get a bit choppy, it still cut through nicely with plenty of stability.  It definitely had a bit of a Wow factor when riding in more challenging conditions. It’s a rewarding board for those who like to ride aggressively; a bit more of a demanding ride.  A friend of mine got one early last season and loved it. (Nirvana V4 was on the topsheet so that may or may not be the official name for it)   I think Bruce may have sold only one or two other versions of this board last season.

He also dabbled in a design that has sidecut/design features similar to the Thirst line of boards with his usual metal construction. After trying it out, I felt many of the same characteristics that I had read about from the Thirst board reviews:  In particular the feeling of having to ride centered and being able to edge confidently without having to get too low.   It was very easy to ride.  Almost too easy!    Once you get it on edge the board just goes and locks in nicely; it doesn’t seem to need or want any additional power/push from the rider.  I can definitely see the allure of a ride like that but I’d say my personal preference is for a board that is a bit more dynamic; I still like getting that response from the board when I give it that extra push and like the ability to pressure the nose at times.  Bruce seemed to really enjoy it. It’s one of those boards that you can ride all day without feeling it too much in yours legs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Gabe T said:

He also dabbled in a design that has sidecut/design features similar to the Thirst line of boards with his usual metal construction. After trying it out, I felt many of the same characteristics that I had read about from the Thirst board reviews:  In particular the feeling of having to ride centered and being able to edge confidently without having to get too low.   It was very easy to ride.  Almost too easy!    Once you get it on edge the board just goes and locks in nicely; it doesn’t seem to need or want any additional power/push from the rider.  I can definitely see the allure of a ride like that but I’d say my personal preference is for a board that is a bit more dynamic; I still like getting that response from the board when I give it that extra push and like the ability to pressure the nose at times.  Bruce seemed to really enjoy it. It’s one of those boards that you can ride all day without feeling it too much in yours legs.

Thanks for the update Gabe. Nice to hear your impressions of the new stuff coming from Coiler.

A while back, I asked Bruce to move my summer build (something similar to Shred's new, improved Monster) to December to allow you guys a little more on-snow testing of the new shapes.

Regarding Thirst boards, while they apparently don't like or need forward weight shift going into a turn, they definately like being pushed, extending legs in a turn, with the reward of acceleration through a tighter turn and more pop off the tail. They are lively when pushed (maybe from the lack of metal?), but also produce a smooth and predictable turn if you stay upright and just lean over.

• Thanks 1

On 5/11/2019 at 9:16 PM, JRAZZ said:

Going with a 160 BX, decambered nose, 27cm wide, and probably carbon for extra pop. 

Not sure about the sidecut. Thinking 8/10/9 since the role of bigger sidecut cruiser is filled by the DO. I kinda want a quick all mountain thing. 

Sounded like fun!  Primary use case is soft boot?

@Emdee406: Martin you rode both the D.O.161 and Coiler BXFR160.  Both review videos are top notch.  Having say: Can't go wrong with either one. How would you compare the 2?

Thank you @Gabe T for divulging the secret handshake/off menu items lol.
Heard Bruce made further improvement to the "Sick Day/MCC" demo prototype already.  Nirvana v4.20 maybe?
Is there a moniker for the "easy rider"?  What does it do when you try to be "aggressive" on it?  Does it just go "Bob Marley":  no worry; chill out; that's not what we going to?  
Very Ying and Yang; might need more build slot.
This is going to be a long summer....

Nirvana v4+
"lazy boy" 
new and improved (mini) monster
bxFR/all mountain/powder

I just received a Coiler Monster from Bruce. New side cut is called Contra I believe. Rode it Saturday then put it in storage till next year. It seems incredible stable at speed with lots of grip.

Wife was shocked on the edge hold of the BXFR. Her first time on a Coiler.

Thank you Bruce for great boards. And thanks for donating a board for the MCC rafle! Much Appreciated

IMAG2925.jpg

Coiler2.jpg.808f0576244dbec4da7885554056b75c.jpg

And we are on the list for 2 more at end of January 2020!

• Like 2

On 5/14/2019 at 7:47 PM, pow4ever said:

Is there a moniker for the "easy rider"?  What does it do when you try to be "aggressive" on it?  Does it just go "Bob Marley":  no worry; chill out; that's not what we going to?  

Yes, this was referred to as the Contra which I believe was a name johnasmo came up with.   I wouldn’t necessarily say that you can’t push it or ride it aggressively but it does have a different feel from what I’m used to.  I still feel a bit more comfortable with being able to make subtle fore/aft weight shifts as needed when riding low with high edge angles.

There are certain playful features I like in a board that don’t seem as compatible with having to ride so centered ...initiating a jump turn with a bit of a nose slide, flipping/pivoting the board 180, getting some pop by loading up the tail at the end of a turn.  Not sure if this was something related to setup, but I also got the feeling of being too locked in at times when my weight strayed from being centered while I was low in a turn; when weight got too far back, it took a bit more effort getting back over to the opposite edge.

Keep in mind that I didn’t spend that much time on the board and didn’t experiment with any tweaks in terms of setup.   Sometimes it does take more time in different conditions to discover all its characteristics.  This was also an early version of the board so I’m sure it will only get better with subsequent iterations.

Edited by Gabe T
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2019 at 9:16 PM, JRAZZ said:

Apparently I got the last slot for 2019. 

Any thoughts?

I ****ing love mine with roughly the same specs as yours. ****ing love it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobdea said:

I ****ing love mine with roughly the same specs as yours. ****ing love it.

I really enjoyed my DO this season. After seeing Martin's reviews and reading your comments from another thread I figured that this is probably the best choice.

I'm hoping it's going to fill in where the DO falls short: bit turnier, wider so no bootout, and more nose so I can ride it in moderately soft snow without needing to dig it out.  Seriously can't wait 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JRAZZ said:

I really enjoyed my DO this season. After seeing Martin's reviews and reading your comments from another thread I figured that this is probably the best choice.

I'm hoping it's going to fill in where the DO falls short: bit turnier, wider so no bootout, and more nose so I can ride it in moderately soft snow without needing to dig it out.  Seriously can't wait 🙂

Trust me, it’ll more than fill that niche... it’ll be love at first turn! 

• Like 1

I have a spot in the build list, for early next winter. 

I’m not sure exactly what I want, but I’ve got plenty of time to work it out. I already have the perfect soft boot carver with my BXFR.

I definitely want a quick turning alpine board, but can’t decide whether I want a direct replacement for my Kessler 162 SL (which I’ll sell at the start of next season, together with my Kessler 171)... Or something more like an Angryy. I LOVE quick turns, a consequence of a lifetime of skateboard slalom racing! 

I’d want the board to grip like 💩 to a blanket, on ice, and not be adverse to running some gates , if I venture back into USASA territory, as I enter the 60+ category 🤣

Maybe a Angryy that doesn’t demand to have turns fully finished? I’m happy to leave the sidecut, flex pattern and camber height to Bruce, as I can’t decide between a progressive sidecut and a 10m radial 🤷🏾‍♂️

162 in length, possibly 20cm wide (I like flatter binding angles), Ghost White graphics and either a carbonium topsheet or a glossy one. 

Bring on the winter!

#WinterIsComing

Edited by Emdee406
Additional text
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Emdee406 said:

162 in length, possibly 20cm wide (I like flatter binding angles), Ghost White graphics and either a carbonium topsheet or a glossy one.

Sounds suspiciously like my RS164/11.5!!!

Any reason why no ptex top?

2 hours ago, Emdee406 said:

What do you find the pluses are? Im willing to have my mind changed  

I’ve gone for carbonium in the past, to withstand lift line abuse 😤

From my personal experience, I would say the following relative attributes are true: more damp, more predictable, less pop, slightly heavier, much more durable than glossy or carbonium.

Like the base, can dry out if not waxed. Once per year is enough. Can sand it if it dries out. My carbonium topped boards all have sustained the same amount of chipping from lift lines, but less swirling than glossy but ptex is perfect from day 1 to the end. If you get any damage, it's minimal in comparison and can be sanded out easily. 

Suits my personal preference very well, but may not suit others'.

• Thanks 1

i believe i got a slot in august reserved.

I have no clue what to order though.

was thinking nirvana 180 or monster maybe.

the thing is that I want a 180 with max 15 - 16 m radius.

was thinking about another oxess but not sure...

6 hours ago, slapos said:

i believe i got a slot in august reserved.

I have no clue what to order though.

was thinking nirvana 180 or monster maybe.

the thing is that I want a 180 with max 15 - 16 m radius.

was thinking about another oxess but not sure...

Get an oxess unless you want to experiment.