Note to New Members ×

Anyone live anywhere in 'Wasatch Back' areas?

BXFR70

As the title says...

Does anyone live in 'Wasatch Back'?

We are considering a move out west from PA and we have it relatively narrowed down to Utah (Wasatch Back) or Montana (Whitefish / Kalispell).  I just wanted to pick someone's brain regarding some locations such as Eden, Mountain Green, Midway, Francine, Coalville, Oakdale, Kamas and Heber City.

Any conversation/help that can be provided would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lived here all my life and Mountain Green is full of Utah Mormons, same with Mountain Green. It's okay if you are one, not so much if you aren't. Eden has some newer residents from out of state, that would be my pick if you can afford it. Not sure what I can comment on the others, I go to a different church than most here and I can tell you it's hard to fit in. Kipp

11 hours ago, Gossamer said:

Lived here all my life and Mountain Green is full of Utah Mormons, same with Mountain Green. It's okay if you are one, not so much if you aren't. Eden has some newer residents from out of state, that would be my pick if you can afford it. Not sure what I can comment on the others, I go to a different church than most here and I can tell you it's hard to fit in. Kipp

You mentioned Mountain Green twice...  was there  another location?  By fitting in, do you mean views or activities?  Or cliques?  Eden is an option, all of these are fine monetarily, but complaints on Eden are higher property taxes in Weber county and seems to be a bit further from most things... restaurants, stores, etc.  

It's good to hear from other people in the area, we are not mormon. We won't live in SLC valley due to potential for poor air quality.  

Another thing we are a little concerned about... how hot will summers be in Wasatch Back areas?  We do not love hot hot weather. 

Eden would be close to the same distance as Mountain Green from the town of Ogden, but with a small two lane canyon road. They keep the road cleared but there can be snowy mornings that could make for a more difficult commute. If you were to chose Coalville you would be closer to Park City but getting up over Parleys Canyon (the summit and drive down into SLC can be downright treacherous) people drive way to fast for conditions, they're always a few wrecks every storm. Heber is a nice little town (not sure of the community there) but during storms the hill up into Park City can get difficult even in a four wheel drive.

• 3 years later...

Thread bump, thinking of moving to Heber City from Colorado (Summit and Eagle counties are no longer affordable for me).  Planning on checking out the area and park city this weekend.  Are the runs there any good for carving? Is the grooming at Sundance any good? Looks like they have night riding some nights which would be nice.   Is the community welcoming to non religious people?  We are also kitesurfers so Heber City being near Deer Creek reservoir is a big plus.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2022 at 11:14 AM, kitejumping said:

Thread bump, thinking of moving to Heber City from Colorado (Summit and Eagle counties are no longer affordable for me).  Planning on checking out the area and park city this weekend.  Are the runs there any good for carving? Is the grooming at Sundance any good? Looks like they have night riding some nights which would be nice.   Is the community welcoming to non religious people?  We are also kitesurfers so Heber City being near Deer Creek reservoir is a big plus.  

I would rethink that. The Great Salt Lake drying up has resulted in really bad air.

https://thehill.com/policy/equilibrium-sustainability/3633056-dried-up-in-utah-drying-great-salt-lake-leads-to-air-pollution/

Maybe nm. Not sure if the pollution will reach Heber City.

Edited by Odd Job
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Odd Job said:

I would rethink that. The Great Salt Lake drying up has resulted in really bad air.

https://thehill.com/policy/equilibrium-sustainability/3633056-dried-up-in-utah-drying-great-salt-lake-leads-to-air-pollution/

Maybe nm. Not sure if the pollution will reach Heber City.

Yep we are aware of the really bad air quality down by SLC and Provo.  Noticed it when we first started looking at houses in the area.  Luckily (from what we noticed) the bad air quality and inversion layer smog doesn't make it over the mountains to the wasatch back area/Heber.  Rode early season PCMR, grooming and trails seemed good enough for me (although I will miss the super long season at Breck).  Too bad the closest resort (deer valley) doesn't allow snowboarders, hopefully Mayflower does when it opens in the next few years.  

• 5 weeks later...

Hi everyone.  New to the forum but I can chime in on Wasatch County.  Kite jumping mentioned Heber City and moving from Summit.  I grew up in Colorado, started snowboarding on a homemade board in 1985, lives in Frisco, got a chance to help build a mini race board for my cousins at Summit Snowboards (was at the base of Dillon Dam) and now I live in Heber.  I feel that Heber is what Colorado used to be like 30+ years ago.  I travel a lot for work and the friendliness, slower pace of life and just relaxing experience of living here beats anywhere else I’ve lived.  (Lived all across US). SLC suffers from inversions, but Heber’s air quality is almost always good.  Buy while you can; you won’t regret it.  My two cents.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1