Note to New Members ×

relaxed carving, just layin' tracks on fresh cord first thing in the morning

bigwavedave

26 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Nice ridin' Dave; smoooooooooth. Might be a trick of the camera, but you look to have a lot of board in front of you - I bet that 8RW is pretty good in crud and pow too?

Thanks D, and I know, it does look like a lot of board out there, but my bindings are mounted where Mark indicated the centered stance to be and I haven't felt the need to play around with it. I can't imagine it riding any better! I find myself riding this board long after the cord is gone and the push piles and ruts are everywhere (well after I would normally call it a day). It just seems to eat it up. Maybe something to do with having all that board out in front?

Definitely nice in pow under 6 inches and maybe up to a foot over groom, but anything more and I'm more comfortable on a softer, wider set-up.  At Turner, there were plenty of folks (Mark being one) who were content riding their carving set-ups everywhere! I found it challenging :cool:

• Thanks 1

Love fresh groom videos. They make the long hot days if summer almost bearable.

Love the gradation of movement in your body as you ride. The slo-mo shows that even on fresh groom the board is flicking and twitching in response to the surface, even though the carve tracks are very clean. You show a great + position on both heelside and toe, allowing your legs to flex at hip and knee and absorb the board's movement. Your trunk is beautifully steady and because of the great suspension action in your legs effectively isolated from the movement below. Smoooooooth as @Lurch wrote. And despite handling the camera on a selfie pole you still make almost no unnecessary movements with your arms. 

A video like that gives me plenty to aim for next time I'm riding. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After all I have heard about this board I think I have the thirst bug and I'm going to need one for next season.  I have my eyes set on this model. I think this board will be perfect in my quiver. Any recommendations for the 8RW width per a 29 size boot? Can he do this board titanal or should I not bother? I heard some murmurs about that.Can't wait for next season already!

• Like 1

On 3/16/2019 at 2:47 AM, SunSurfer said:

Love fresh groom videos. They make the long hot days if summer almost bearable.

Love the gradation of movement in your body as you ride. The slo-mo shows that even on fresh groom the board is flicking and twitching in response to the surface, even though the carve tracks are very clean. You show a great + position on both heelside and toe, allowing your legs to flex at hip and knee and absorb the board's movement. Your trunk is beautifully steady and because of the great suspension action in your legs effectively isolated from the movement below. Smoooooooth as @Lurch wrote. And despite handling the camera on a selfie pole you still make almost no unnecessary movements with your arms. 

Thanks Allen. Too bad the camera doesn't pick up the satisfying sound the board makes slicing through the  corduroy.

On 3/16/2019 at 9:42 AM, b0ardski said:

nice edit Dave,:biggthump we need more media like this plastered all over the net, guess I should start taking more video

All you need is a camera on the end of each pole and you could record in 3d :eplus2:

On 3/16/2019 at 10:23 AM, pow4ever said:

Nice!  So it is possible 🙂
5 feet pole while carving; that's crazy for someone like me who can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

Just for you man! It may look relaxed, but it's really concentration on not crashing with a 5' pole!:cool:

2 hours ago, ThePeonsChamp said:

After all I have heard about this board I think I have the thirst bug and I'm going to need one for next season.  I have my eyes set on this model. I think this board will be perfect in my quiver. Any recommendations for the 8RW width per a 29 size boot? Can he do this board titanal or should I not bother? I heard some murmurs about that.Can't wait for next season already!

I don't think he makes any with titanal, but you won't miss it because they perform as well or better than any metal board I've ridden and with a lighter, more nimble feel. You should talk to Mark about width, he may have an upper limit. He made mine about 20.5 cm in the waist so I could ride the angles that I like with 28 upz's, roughly 60°F & 55°R.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It was the worst it has ever been here as well...I have noticed a dramatic difference particularly over the last 3 seasons...I have had numerous queries with the head of the 4 mountains as to why? They are receiving complaints now from All the Old time Instructors as well, they know something is wrong, yet seem unable to correct the problem...the problem also is prevalent at all 4 mountains now...my theory is the last part of the Cats, that touches the snow and leaves the grooves, is now to shallow, leaving very minimal shallower grooves, when you mix this with no cutting, less tiller depth, less down pressure and faster travel across the snow it equals a very thin marginal surface with a lot of inconsistent surfaces mixing together...I have actually had to buy some HB equipment to maintain control for next season...also the warmer overall temps here, has added an additional negative  effect in the early and late season too...

howdy

maybe it is a cost cutting thing... they do not overlap on the passes and the ridges makes for a bumpy ride...

they groomed some runs and alternate others, kinda can't blame um with the shitty snow year, but still

it was terrible year of grooming...

the resort had boasted we were in the top ten grooming in the country a bunch of years ago...

9 hours ago, FrankNBeans said:

But the park here is immaculate. Meh.

That's it, exactly! Way more resources (snowmaking, grooming, raking, etc) spent on parks compared to the rest of the hill. Some one in accounting must be telling them it will pay.

Most of the time the park is relatively empty and the snow undisturbed, so a good place to find untracked groom late in the day. It's often the best groomed snow anywhere on the hill.