Note to New Members ×

Bomber split sidewinders

Is Bomber ever going to make those sidewinders for splitboarders again? I know that this is a niche market - but those bad boys are indestructible and gives me the security I need to know that they won't fail in the backcountry. I also ride with an aggressive forward stance which I have to be creative as the toe pieces usually don't allow me to point them too far forward. I like those bomber bindings as I can mount them on the Voile slider plates so that they can slide on from either direction (forward or backwards). Please bring them back! There's a few of us that shred with hard boots and pushing splitboards to their maximum limits. 

If your splitboard angles are above 30*, I guess you have to be creative. Otherwise, just get Phantoms. They are completely reliable and offer far superior splitboard performance than anything mounted to a Voile plate sitting on pucks. Plus they are a lot lighter and closer to the board than SWs on a Voile plate.

Before Phantoms, I used to run F2 toe and heel blocks on a Voile plate and other AT splitters used Burton/Ibex toe and heel blocks. Phantoms were such an improvement, even the first generation. Before John started producing Phantoms I had actually talked to Will at Spark about making me a Sidewinders mounted to custom Spark slider set up. Thankfully that did not end up happening.

If SWs are the only thing you want, you could most likely buy a pair of alpine SWs and mount the toe and heel blocks to the Voile sliders. IIRC, the difference between the alpine and split versions of the SW blocks were two mounting holes verses four. Two holes should work fine unless you are a really big guy. If that's the case, I would be worried about the Voile slider breaking too.

• Like 1

Alright,

I'll give those Phantoms a go. I have a friend that has a pair and Ill borrow them to see if they'll hold up and how I like them before I commit. I still have those Bomber SW's as those things are indestructible but am continuously looking for a way to squeak 30* plus.

I push those splitboards to the limit. Do you think that those phantoms will hold up? Are they comparable to the SW's as far as reliability?

Thanks for the reply man!  

Edited by Marshsram

Phantoms will hold up better than anything on a Voile slider plate and pucks. I have 200+ days on my set and I know John Keffler pretty well. I don't think he has issues with Phantoms breaking.

Splitboards and gear are at a high level right now and people are doing amazing descents on them. Just in the NW, between myself and other splitters I know, splitboards have gone down pretty much every line on Hood from the South Route, to the Newton Clark HW to Cooper Spur to the NE face to the Sandy Glacier HW. Same goes for all the other NW volcanoes from Baker to Lassen (I don't personally know much about Rainier). It seems the limits have more to do with the rider. How are you pushing splitboards to the limit?

Here is a second vote for the Phantoms!

They are way lighter and the way that they lock the board together is awesome making a split feel much more solid and like a regular board. Big bonus is the weight especially compared to sidewinders and I think there is enough lateral flex that you won't miss your sidewinders.  The only downside I see if if you want/need an angle >30. 

You’re from Or? Check out the Eagle Caps! Thats where I’m from.

Ok, how do I push splits to the limit? I ride a 178 Prior -Fissile. That board is amazing in every way. I also have some gs ripper boards and a BX for groomers and packed mogul riding.

The fissile is the go to board- I’ve ridden in chutes, tight couloir’s, tree’s etc.

But where I really push them to the limits are riding moguls, packed powder and hitting kickers and such.

Some will say that splitboards are exclusively made for the backcountry but I disagree. Splitboards are what I ride on 90% of the time. Unless it’s absolutely terrible off piste or in the backcountry then you’ll find me on a BX ripping some groomers.

The boards have been tried and tested. The bindings are important to me as I don’t want a failure while I’m hitting some moguls in techical area’s. I like the idea of knowing that I won’t blow out my knees by ejection of 1 foot. That is why I like the bombers. Those suckers are failproof I also wear Dynafit AT boots. I don’t like a lot of flex as I like to have positive initiation into turns driving the board without the give.

Edited by Marshsram

The Wallowas. I have never made it out there, but I hear it is beautiful.

That makes sense. I see more and more riders on splitboards inbounds. I generally only take mine inbounds if I am testing a set up or if I am passing through a resort to get to the BC. I have laid down some carves on splitboards at times. Some of them carve well, though I would never use them for that.

I had a Prior Spearhead split and then a Prior Khyber split when I spent winters in Utah. They worked great in the Utah powder. When I started spending winters in the Eastern Sierra I needed more of an all conditions board because the snow is so much more variable here. After a few different boards, I ended up on Amplids.

Phantom has a plate that will allow you to use them on your solid boards too. I prefer F2s for that, but it is an option. Just an FYI, Bombers are not fail proof. Plenty of riders have broken bails, some have broken multiple bails.

1 hour ago, Buell said:

Phantom has a plate that will allow you to use them on your solid boards too. I prefer F2s for that, but it is an option.

I have been considering giving a try to a Phantoms/Backlands combo for regular freeriding on my solid boards. I was interested in that combo because the Phantoms look lower, and I want to keep my regular angles (30 and Under). Don't want to be jacked up like on alpine boards. Curious why you prefer the F2s? What is it you don't like about the Phantoms on a solid?

28 minutes ago, Mig said:

I have been considering giving a try to a Phantoms/Backlands combo for regular freeriding on my solid boards. I was interested in that combo because the Phantoms look lower, and I want to keep my regular angles (30 and Under). Don't want to be jacked up like on alpine boards. Curious why you prefer the F2s? What is it you don't like about the Phantoms on a solid?

I don't have an actual reason. In my mind resort bindings are distinct from splitboard bindings and the Phantoms are designed for splitboarding, not carving. I don't tend to freeride in a resort (if I do I am in soft boots) so I wasn't really thinking about that use. I expect the F2s have a better dampening system and probably better carving flex. Though, if you want simple, spare, and low stack height, you are not going to top the Phantoms. Splitboarding is much closer to freeriding than carving. You can use cant and lift with them, which is nice.

I have discussed the bindings quite a lot with John over the years and because of the built in lateral flex they are designed to be strong when used at angles under 30* so you would be fine on them.

I have trusted them in you fall, you die situations where they cannot fail. I'd certainly trust them in a resort.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buell said:

if you want simple, spare, and low stack height, you are not going to top the Phantoms.....

You can use cant and lift with them, which is nice.

Buell I had wondered about adjusting lift/cant on the Phantoms - is it as simple as shimming the locking plate to match whatever lift/cant wedge you use under the bail block?

35 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Buell I had wondered about adjusting lift/cant on the Phantoms - is it as simple as shimming the locking plate to match whatever lift/cant wedge you use under the bail block?

Pretty much. There is a plastic shim under the locking tab. I am pretty sure Phantom has different thickness shims available depending on how much lift / cant you use. You might also need to change your screw length depending on if you are using the fixed angle or the adjustable angle locking plates. The lift / cant shims sit under the toe and heel blocks so you have to remove them to adjust lift / cant. I think most Phantom riders just stick with the stock inward cant wedges. That is what I have done.

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much for the reply's.

Well I am going to buy a pair of Phantoms and see how they go. I have some F2's for solid boards and I love those badboys as well.

By the way- I don't use my splitboards for carving - I got better boards for that. But I sometimes love riding in that off piste packed powder. We have a small ski area around here and its always good to get some free turns when I can mostly on powder days - while I wait for the BC to cinch up. I spend most of my time earning my turns. So the Phantoms do make since. I just needed some good feedback before I commit to buying.

Went riding today in the backcountry and the powder is amazing over here in this direction. I am glad that I found this forum. I feel like I am being connected to riders who have a style similar to mine.

There is a company out there and I can't remember where I seen them - but Ill look it up after I am done here. A binding that you can swap out easily with your quiver. I have SO many freak'n boards! Problem is I think they only make them for soft booters. I am a hard booter through and through man! ..... the struggle is real.

By the way - Check out Wallowa Alpine Huts. You won't be disappointed. Let me know if you're ever out this way. 

Later

Edited by Marshsram