Note to New Members ×

Mt High - New to SoCal

CianoTICO

How's Mt High ? I only been there once but with no board, just to play in the snow with a 3 years old and a toddler.

I remember being pretty busy on a weekend, how early you need to get in to still find a parking spot ?

I haven't been snowboarding since 2009, getting married with a girl that grew up in the Arizona desert, moving from Italy to CA and having kids kinda killed it. Don't know where to go, don't know anyone who either ski or snowboard, luckily I went to Bear Mountain this weekend with another Italian expat family and now I need to go again, again, again ! We put my oldest daughter on ski for the first time and she did really good and I want her to take another lesson before the the snow melts.

I'm happy to see I'm not the only one in SoCal that likes hard boots ! I felt I was part of an ancient dying breed of snowboarder last weekend !  Is the snow ever hard here ? Was pretty mushy in Big Bear.

Anyway hi to everyone and I hope to be on corduroy a lot !!!  

Generally snow is going to be worse at Mt high. If they do have good snow though, and it is open stick to to the east hill. Gold rush (I think is the trail name) is prob the best carving run in so Cal. But east hasn't been open until this season for 2 years, and a season before that for like 8 or so years in a row due to no snow... 

West is going to be very crowded, and very geared towards the park rats. Bear mountain is also park heavy for that matter. Your best bet in big bear is to ride snow summit. 

If you can make it, mammoth is great, and June just a dream come true. 

Hit me up if you are going to summit, or plan a trip for mammoth/ June! 

Park Rats 🤣🤣, well looks like to me the industry marketed as you are either trying to be Shawn White or you suck !

Didn't know June existed. Looks pretty good. 5 hrs is a long drive, not good for a same day trip. I did it when I was 22 and single but with kids no way.

I like how close Mt High is. Is 1hr and 20 min from my garage door ! I think I'll give it a try soon, I'm borrowing a free ride board from a guy at work, after 9 years of no snow , any snow is good .

Doubt I'll be going to Mammoth/June this year I'll let you know if we go to Summit.

I might also hit you up on where to buy gear, used gear and what gear as I have to catch up !

Welcome to SoCal  CianoTico!  Even though MT High (West) is the weakest of all SoCal resorts, I have to admit that I always seem to have a great time there!  Haven’t riden the East in 20+ years, but like  Acoustic Carver said it has a great carving run.  

Would love to meet up with the both of ya and attack something!  Mt High, Summit, Bear whatever! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My High.

the guy who runs their Ski school program is an alpine snowboarder and  examniner named Clay- though he has hinted that he will change to Big Bear/Snow Sumit. 

There is one carving run I like there - show here .

I am carving on soft boots on a 168 Rossignol Jusge powder board. 

Though I live in SoCal if iconditons are packed powder in Colorado I recommend getting on a plane and flying to Denver or Aspen less costly and faster than driving to Mammoth. After April generally it starts to turn to corn in Aspen and that’s when I default to Mammoth and June.

the AspeN season premier Pass includes base Ikon and 25% off the excellent slope food (if bought before 12 or after 2pm ) also includes June and Mammoth and after April there are no blackout periods for June and Mammoth and the Aspen Premier Pass has no blackouts for Aspen . More sun, less wind, better snow and après ski that devastates Mammoth. 

Mt. High is a quick hit and run early season leg conditioning  ( leave SoCal by 4:45 am) if you get off snow by 11:35 and jump in your car you can return to LA , Laguna or Sandiegi before traffic and the snow goes to mush by 12:15 anyhow . My. High doesn’t have the endless winding mountain road that Snow summit and big bear has , its less winding  by about 1/2, . Après ski at Mountain High ....lock your board and leave nothing visible in your car. So sketchy gangsters there - but lots of college students and hot California girls.

Edited by John Gilmour

That east or west? I really like the run on mh east, gold rusher I think it is? Something like that. East is not open that often though

And damn that is one expensive pass... $2500... And I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to budget renewing my and my fiancé's icon base passes for next season with student discounts at less than 1/4 of that each... 

Edited by AcousticBoarder

Well Normally I would think Aspen pass will be OK except I totally shafted us by shutting down the mountain. It’s not like Aspen didn’t have enough money to put out a bunch of Porta potty stalls and just run the chair lifts and stop the gondola. But I guess part of the reason might be the dorm style housing for the employees is just too close to have social distancing.

normally I would think Aspen pass would be OK except I totally shafted us by shutting down the mountain. It’s not like Aspen didn’t have enough money to put out a bunch of Porta potty stalls and just run the chairlift and stop the gondola. But I guess part of the reason might be the dorm style housing for the employees is just too close to have social distancing.

Whatever the case I never got to use the icon part of the pass for Mammoth which is usually my late season go to Mt. after Aspen ski conditions become corn about mid to late March.

In the end you didn’t miss much this year it was a very strange year in Aspen not many bluebird powder days, not much sun and a lot of fog and cloudy days plus the snow grooming was simply sub par for Aspen