Note to New Members ×

Sports Tube - how do you guys pack it?

Colozeus

Just curious how those of you with a sports tube pack multiple boards. I usually travel with at least two boards. I usually leave the bindings on and i'll place a folded towel, lengthwise, under the first board with bindings facing up. I'll then sandwich my second board on top with bindings facing down with my pants and jacket in between. This works ok but still results in some "slop" and movement inside of the tube. I think the ideal thing here would be to build some type of foam cutout with slots for the boards so it's held snug in the tube. Other alternatives would be to remove the the bindings and place them inside of a snowboard sleeve like the ones Bomber use to sell; the only issue here is what would you do with the extra space? 

Credit goes to @jp1

https://www.staples.com/staples-hand-held-mini-stretch-film-dispenser-5-x-1000-16859/product_781351

use the stretch film to bind everything together so it doesn't move around.
remove the bindings:  use gloves as buffer and wrap bindings to the top of bottom board
put ski cloths, carper runner, cardboard box, boots between top/bottom board.

example: just put another board on top of it and wrap it with film.

pack_sporttube3.thumb.jpg.a374354f3028c2b35916f5d5058b4531.jpg

• Like 1

I've done it like this for 5 years with success:

Put the bases facing each other. Plates attached, bindings detached but inside the case wrapped up in single file. 

Wrap and secure contents with the little elastic bands they supply. 

Wrap and secure the contents with the velcro bands they also supply. 

Bubble wrap the tip and tail in case the in built padding isn't enough. 

Suspend wrapped and secured contents with the velcro bands which are riveted in the middle of the bottom case.

Put the top of the case on tight to squish the foam and bubble wrap a bit and done.

19 minutes ago, daveo said:

I've done it like this for 5 years with success:

Put the bases facing each other. Plates attached, bindings detached but inside the case wrapped up in single file. 

Wrap and secure contents with the little elastic bands they supply. 

Wrap and secure the contents with the velcro bands they also supply. 

Bubble wrap the tip and tail in case the in built padding isn't enough. 

Suspend wrapped and secured contents with the velcro bands which are riveted in the middle of the bottom case.

Put the top of the case on tight to squish the foam and bubble wrap a bit and done.

Mine didn't come with any velcro straps. It only came with the clip on handle. 

11 minutes ago, Colozeus said:

yup. 

Oh you must ride softboots. 

My partner uses a Sportube 3 since she rides softboots and that is less stable inside without extra padding. We usually just fill the gaps with balls on tightly rolled bubble wrap. 

Edited by daveo

Got a sport tube 3 for MCC. Packed it with the following:

3 boards: carving board, softboot carver, and my gf's softboot board. 

My carving went in a bomber bag, bindings off and in my boot bag. 

On top of that went the carving softboot board, no bag as I don't have one that fits it and haven't made one either (yet). Bindings also off

On that the other softboot board. It fit in a bomber bad (barely). Again, bindings off. 

All 3 boards I velcroed together with the velcro straps provided, sandwiching the non-bagged board, but could be with any straps. I then put the softboot bindings for both boards on top to take up the space. 

Assembled it came out to 49 lbs, just within flying weight. 

I would want to look at some padding next time to add, but would have to take out a board or the bindings due to weight. Might also get a sport tube 2 for just my carving board. 

I used a Sport Tube for years, after baggage handlers trashing several new expensive bags first trip out. I carried up to three boards, but more usually two. My stuff is mostly trans-Atlantic. You want your boots and bindings in your carry-on as replacement hard gear is hard to find, although renting soft gear is a great way to remember why hard boots are so good.

Stack boards and wrap with bubble-wrap around and between. Fasten bundle with two of those skier strap things. Fill the rest with clothes, preferably in light-weight bags as otherwise anyone opening it (including you) is fighting through your laundry.

I always tape a spare closure thing (I don't use locks) by the handle, and tape a couple of tie-wraps ("cable ties" in America) close by so that if the TSA people can't work out how to close it then they can at least use a tie-wrap on the handle there.

6 hours ago, philw said:

I used a Sport Tube for years, after baggage handlers trashing several new expensive bags first trip out. I carried up to three boards, but more usually two. My stuff is mostly trans-Atlantic. You want your boots and bindings in your carry-on as replacement hard gear is hard to find, although renting soft gear is a great way to remember why hard boots are so good.

Stack boards and wrap with bubble-wrap around and between. Fasten bundle with two of those skier strap things. Fill the rest with clothes, preferably in light-weight bags as otherwise anyone opening it (including you) is fighting through your laundry.

I always tape a spare closure thing (I don't use locks) by the handle, and tape a couple of tie-wraps ("cable ties" in America) close by so that if the TSA people can't work out how to close it then they can at least use a tie-wrap on the handle there.

This past weekend, TSA couldn't figure out how to close it properly. The didn't even put the locking pin back in and just secured it with my tsa lock and the halves were pretty far apart. It was pure luck that the lock didn't fail. I found the locking pin inside with my boards. 

22 minutes ago, Colozeus said:

This past weekend, TSA couldn't figure out how to close it properly. The didn't even put the locking pin back in and just secured it with my tsa lock and the halves were pretty far apart. It was pure luck that the lock didn't fail. I found the locking pin inside with my boards. 

Pretty standard unfortunately. I put the lock pin on a lanyard AND use a wire cable TSA lock but they are still missed the pin 3 of the last 4 times. I like PhilWs idea of spare zip ties.

2 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Pretty standard unfortunately. I put the lock pin on a lanyard AND use a wire cable TSA lock but they are still missed the pin 3 of the last 4 times. I like PhilWs idea of spare zip ties.

yeah, i'm going to start doing this as well. sidenote: DFW is horrendous in dealing with oversize luggage. There is always some BS issue that delays it or you have to walk 2 miles to pick it up somewhere else. 

My Sport Tube once came out in two pieces, with my laundry spewing across the belt. I kid you not. That's why I subsequently put stuff in small bags inside the tube. You could maybe put a label on it instructing them how to do it, but they may take offence as it ought to be a bit obvious that it's the reverse of the disassembly process.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AcousticBoarder said:

How do you guys use a cable tsa lock? I used one this trip but looking at it now I'm not sure it would survive another outing without being sheared. 

At least with my tube, the bigger outer shell has two holes where you can feed the regular lock through. The second hole is useless do to the spacing of the holes on the inner tube. I just drilled another hole once i had it locked and i use that for the cable lock. 

I have a suspicion that most times, they just slip the TSA "your bag was inspected" paper into the tube without actually opening it. 

17 hours ago, AcousticBoarder said:

How do you guys use a cable tsa lock? I used one this trip but looking at it now I'm not sure it would survive another outing without being sheared. 

I've used mine for a 18 flights years and it is still going but will replace it next year. 

16 hours ago, Colozeus said:

At least with my tube, the bigger outer shell has two holes where you can feed the regular lock through. The second hole is useless do to the spacing of the holes on the inner tube. I just drilled another hole once i had it locked and i use that for the cable lock.

I think the two sets of holes are offset so one set will only ever need under 1cm squish down to align inner with outer. 

17 hours ago, philw said:

My Sport Tube once came out in two pieces, with my laundry spewing across the belt. I kid you not. That's why I subsequently put stuff in small bags inside the tube. You could maybe put a label on it instructing them how to do it, but they may take offence as it ought to be a bit obvious that it's the reverse of the disassembly process.

There is now a sticker on it detailing this exactly. You mustn't be the only one... 

Push the two ends together. Use a paint stick to draw an arrow on each half that meet together indicating proper overlap. Drill out two holes. Take two shoulder bolts that will fit in drilled holes,  cut off the threads and then cross drill a hole in each bolt to accept a TSA lock.  Put the bolts thru the two holes. Use a spring clip on one bolt and a solid TSA lock on the other.

Solved the issue of a TSA cable lock installed at the bitter end of the tube overlap holding back a complete dump of two boards and a set of skis. 

2 hours ago, Chouinard said:

Push the two ends together. Use a paint stick to draw an arrow on each half that meet together indicating proper overlap. Drill out two holes. Take two shoulder bolts that will fit in drilled holes,  cut off the threads and then cross drill a hole in each bolt to accept a TSA lock.  Put the bolts thru the two holes. Use a spring clip on one bolt and a solid TSA lock on the other.

Solved the issue of a TSA cable lock installed at the bitter end of the tube overlap holding back a complete dump of two boards and a set of skis. 

Do you have a picture?