Note to New Members ×

I don’t believe it...another carverdude at Crystal.

1xsculler

Yes, near a large population but I go up only mid-week on the days my wife goes to work and I'm never here for more than 2hrs at a time so running into other carvers has been limited to three total in almost three years.

FWIW, I have learned the trick...I'm over the hump...I will live no longer in utter frustration.  Just as the riding a unicycle example I have stated here before, i.e. you try and try and try...usually about 20 minutes a day for a week.  Every time you try you cannot learn the trick of riding that one wheel device.  The only reason you keep beating your head against a brick wall is you've seen someone else do it so you know it's possible.  Once you learn the trick you are still a very shaky beginner but you can look in the mirror and say, "I can do it!"

Learning to do a water start on high-wind, windsurfing equipment is somewhat similar, i.e. you can't, you can't, you try and try and try again and eventually you learn the trick  but, if you can't consistently start both ways when on Maui, Kanaha Beach State Park, you should go to the Gorge, learn to do a water start where it's much easier and then go back to Maui.  If you do make your first water start from the beach on Maui and you ride the board out 1/4 mile you'll end up swimming back in because doing a water start out farther where the wind is howling can be impossible for the novice.

I have beat my head against a brick wall for two years trying to feel the carve and today I got it.  No, I'm not very good at all (not as good as Colozeus-critique my riding style) and if the slope was 1 degree steeper I would feel like I was starting all over again but I am now on my way and no longer frantic about the whole thing. I came very close to quitting but now I'm glad I persisted. No, I'm not posting a video but I now know I have a base to work off of.

Thank you to all of you who have offered advice and posted videos.  I couldn't have reached this point without each and everyone of you.  My boots and bindings are dialed in and my quiver, will be forever churned, no longer to try to find THE perfect board, but just for the fun of it.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, slopestar said:

I'll be in Seattle this Friday and working through Wednesday 2/27. No car, looking to exercise my Ikon at my old home base. Anyone got a couch? And a Lift? Thursday 2/28 and Friday 3/1 or Friday 3/1 and Saturday 3/2?

Lance, sadly I have to travel for work from Saturday for the next three weeks or I would be there to ride with you and set you up.

i hope that our paths will cross again in the future.

cheers,

sandy

2 hours ago, slopestar said:

I came up a few years back in February on the driest season on record... This Friday is 2/22... Next Friday, 3/1, I'd be happy to be hot lapping Rex

There are some great carving pitches on Rex but quite a bit of garbage in between especially for a budding carver. I’m better off continuing to hone my new found skills on well groomed Quicksilver which has few other people on it and a full fall-line pitch top to bottom. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, slopestar said:

I'll be in Seattle this Friday and working through Wednesday 2/27. No car, looking to exercise my Ikon at my old home base. Anyone got a couch? And a Lift? Thursday 2/28 and Friday 3/1 or Friday 3/1 and Saturday 3/2?

I'll be up there on 3/2 with my boys. Good chance that it will be a pow board day based on forecast. 

On 2/18/2019 at 10:24 AM, 1xsculler said:

I’ll Wait for him at the top and hope he will make my last two runs of the day with me. Fortunately, I am having my best day since I started carving two years ago but I’ll bet I can learn from him. 

This is almost unbelievable. 

Hey fellow Crystal carver! Great meeting you up there - and I'm looking forward to a future carving session... if it ever stops snowing. 🤣

• Like 1

On 2/19/2019 at 7:54 AM, Carvin' Marvin said:

Y’all need be warned this slopeguy is a softbooting weirdo.  Like, bro, do you even hard-charge-carve?

Yea, he's a little sketch, he's always in the bar when I'm in there...

wait a minute...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/19/2019 at 12:01 AM, 1xsculler said:

There are some great carving pitches on Rex but quite a bit of garbage in between especially for a budding carver. I’m better off continuing to hone my new found skills on well groomed Quicksilver which has few other people on it and a full fall-line pitch top to bottom. 

Lucky shot to little portillo back in to lucky shot, spill out under the chair into a huge toeside carve around the lift tower. Yank and bank to the bottom. I wish they still groomed Little Portillo... 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, slopestar said:

Lucky shot to little portillo back in to lucky shot, spill out under the chair into a huge toeside carve around the lift tower. Yank and bank to the bottom. I wish they still groomed Little Portillo... 

That's a great one but the traverses at the top and the junky, moggly steeps do take away from those great areas you described. From that toeside around the chair tower down to and including the bottom of Quisksilver back to the bottom of the gondola does make for a pretty damn nice carving run.

Crystal has been awesome nearly everyone of the approximately ninety,  2 hr sessions I have spent there in the past 2 1/2 seasons.  I much appreciate them grooming and keeping Quicksilver open, mid-week this season.  I'm pissed that they moved this chair to the other side of the trees a couple of years ago, though, because I now can't keep eyes on my grandkids and I can no longer view, from above, the few hero tracks I make...very disappointing and at great expense and for no apparent reason.  Oh well, they never even asked me. 

6 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

That's a great one but the traverses at the top and the junky, moggly steeps do take away from those great areas.

I'm pissed that they moved this chair to the other side of the trees a couple of years ago, though, because I now can't keep eyes on my grandkids and I can no longer view, from above, the few hero tracks I make...very disappointing and at great expense and for no apparent reason.  Oh well, they never even asked me. 

Lucky shot cat tracks below Rex!

didnt know they relocated 9. It was that slow three-man when I was there. 9 was a means to get to six. There is a full on natural pipe up there not many know about. Off in the trees. I cleared a lot of lumber out of there and I built the old gabian rock wall at the top of 6. In 92’.  Not sure if it’s gone with the new chair 6. I’ll find out this coming Thursday and Friday...I’ll be in the blaze orange coat. Same getup as the profile pic

16 hours ago, slopestar said:

Lucky shot cat tracks below Rex!

didnt know they relocated 9. It was that slow three-man when I was there. 9 was a means to get to six. There is a full on natural pipe up there not many know about. Off in the trees. I cleared a lot of lumber out of there and I built the old gabian rock wall at the top of 6. In 92’.  Not sure if it’s gone with the new chair 6. I’ll find out this coming Thursday and Friday...I’ll be in the blaze orange coat. Same getup as the profile pic

Quicksilver is chair 4, was a slow 2-man, now a slow 4-man, which is the great carving run and is the chair they moved and shortened at both ends.  I'm aware of 6 which gets you to Powder Bowl, et al.  I can't remember a chair 9 although you get to 6 from the top of Forest Queen, a high-speed 6-man...must have been called 9; also Campbell Basin chair, I think.  A very nice lodge (Campbell Basin) is at the top of Forest Queen.  I think 6 is the same old chair...not sure though...let me know after you check it out.

Hey Slopestar, I relocated and downsized to Enumclaw and crystal 1.5 years ago after riding at Stevens and Mt. hood for 27 years.

I too, own a D.O.165 and  conditions and schedule permitting, I will be at Crystal next Friday and Saturday. If I'm there, my gear will be in line before 8 and ill be in the lodge. Grey beard, black coat/ pants. if its a pow day look for a Kessler Ride, Donek Nomad or Fullbag Hammerhead. Crystal is pretty sick. Not the greatest carving hill but off piste its tough to beat. The D.O. is the real deal!

Warren

• Thanks 1