Note to New Members ×

NO LONGER FOR SALE...Kessler Alpine 168 custom, like new 2018

1xsculler

I have spent many great days skiing at Bachelor with our daughters and their boyfriends over the years but I now have confined myself to Crystal on the three or four days/wk my wife goes to work and just two hours at a time. 

I am loving it and after the success I experienced today am not interested in lessons even though I am sure I could learn a lot from Don. I am also a consummate DIYer which often limits my learning in many things. So be it! I am on my way to fun and improvement so long as my wife continues to want to go to work. 

I get it, you are happily set in your ways.

It just that you also seem so excited about any small improvement and you post about chasing down the hardbooter you just saw because maybe you can learn something. You obviously like making progress. (FWIW, most hardbooters are happy to offer advice, just be careful because the value of that advice is often equal to the price you paid for it). Caving is hard and strongly technique driven, it would be good to have a top instructor give you a few strong foundation principles to work on so you have a next progression goal. Then you can go back to DIY for a while.

I have taken several lessons from Don, including how to carve in rough conditions and (probably his favorite) on carving the Wildflower Downhill at Snowbasin. In the end, I could carve the whole thing, Don just rips down it!

Maybe Don would come to Crystal. It would get expensive for one person, but in Utah and Tahoe my wife and I put together enough hardboot lessons for him to come to those locations and offer instruction.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 1xsculler said:

I have spent many great days skiing at Bachelor with our daughters and their boyfriends over the years but I now have confined myself to Crystal on the three or four days/wk my wife goes to work and just two hours at a time. 

I am loving it and after the success I experienced today am not interested in lessons even though I am sure I could learn a lot from Don. I am also a consummate DIYer which often limits my learning in many things. So be it! I am on my way to fun and improvement so long as my wife continues to want to go to work. 

You could ride with a softbooter a week from friday