Note to New Members ×

Never Summer East

lonbordin

Last year Agnarchy.com discussed an unreleased board.

Vince also discussed an un-released board that he’s testing, nicknamed the ‘Beast from the East’. In Vince’s words “It has a very extended version of our Rocker Camber that provides broad, consistent pressure across the entire board. We pressed a 161 cm board in an old 172 cm mold set, while using very low profile tip ramps. It has massive effective edge for stability and edge hold, while still having a rocketed mid-section that makes it more manageable and versatile than a traditional race or competitive BX board. We [also] put mega rubber damping into it.”

This year at SIA it made a showing (Longest board in the photo).

2020-Never-Summer-Snowboards-1.jpg

• Like 1

There were rumors of a Never Summer soft boot carver, a couple of years ago, when a buddy visited the factory. I’m glad it came to fruition...

NS is now one of the darlings of the soft boot world, it’ll be interesting to see the public response to a ‘carving board’ from a pretender to the Burton crown. 

I’m sure they’ll be upping their Family Tree line even more, in response. Lib Tech too! 

I have yet to see a BX or race(carve specific) board that has rocker between the feet and camber under foot. With the exception of INCA and we all know where those boards are... Bryan?  Nor have I seen magnetraction or any other kind of edge protrustion on said mentioned carving boards. Bob, I get that you are the Neutral type. But I lean one way or the other. 

• Like 2

Well, my point was that in terms of a softboot carver don’t discount it....

like I said, even a full rocker tanker does work better than most offerings from most vendors.

and where this isn’t a full rocker I just shrug and figure it’s worth a try

Diamond blade from fullbag is flattish? In the camber department. Love the board but there is no pushback from the board. It is a capable Carver for sure but it is not a power Carver... The camber in the Alloy DO I'm riding... Wow! Carbon is damp but a little snappy, add the proprietary aluminum alloy stringers and that board has some pop. The big race icons like Kessler and SG just feel dead. Flat camber and all of neversummers' stuff looks good but ride like meh....

2 hours ago, slopestar said:

Diamond blade from fullbag is flattish? In the camber department. Love the board but there is no pushback from the board. It is a capable Carver for sure but it is not a power Carver... The camber in the Alloy DO I'm riding... Wow! Carbon is damp but a little snappy, add the proprietary aluminum alloy stringers and that board has some pop. The big race icons like Kessler and SG just feel dead. Flat camber and all of neversummers' stuff looks good but ride like meh....

K, now I get where you’re at.

you want a madd 158 where I want a Kessler 162.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, slopestar said:

That's a sweet one Jack. I'm loving the Alloy DO 165...So much so that I'm ripping apart my Softboot bindings. They are coming apart in places they shouldn't...

I dont have an alloy but i feel your pain lol.

From my perspective it doesn't really bother me that it is center rocker due to my first snowboard having a similar profile(rome reverb rocker). I will say that i do think it did propel my riding towards carving as to keep the board stable it has to always be ridden on edge or it will want to pivot and spin on the rocker between the feet. It also taught me about fore and aft weighting because if you dont get it correct the board will lose edge pressure and youll just slide out. I still ride this board from time to time because if i can carve that stupid silly board, carving my Donek or SG is effortless in comparison 🙂 

• 1 year later...

I've got the East and have been on it fairly consistently since it was released.  Overall, I'm really impressed with what Never Summer has done with this board.  I typically shun anything but a traditional camber profile, however, the East is just a blast to carve on and the CRC profile is super forgiving for the days when you just want to bomb around the resort with little consequence.