Note to New Members ×

Game changing equipment

jng

2 minutes ago, lonbordin said:

I get it. I've offered no proof. I'll make an CarveRS review thread in the next few days and offer visuals to back my statements.

I also get it, I know a 200 plus pounder who put CarveRS on his Tanker and soon enough the bails were still attached to his feet but the board and binding bases were headed down the hill. That said, BlueB also has a ton of hours without incident. 

Custom Donek165 Saber hammerhead. Old Blue... Sean opened doors for me with this board. It is my first custom ever and has led me to stay on softies(most of the time) there have been many boards before and many after but this one is the measuring stick for which I compare all boards to. Look forward to riding more with you! El Dora Saturday? 

8 hours ago, trailertrash said:

My ski condo.

Be the change others await.

On 2/13/2019 at 5:13 AM, Lurch said:

Not equipment per se,  but Beckmanns set up guide has given me a much beter handle on cause/ effect and allowed steady incremental mprovements to my riding. 

Glad someone got some use out of that.

...And yet your subtle errors persist.

• Haha 1

My first lesson on a snowboard was in hardboots in 1990.  I started on a Checker Pig and quickly was sucked into the Burton alpine board evolution over the course of the next decade, buying every new M, PJ and Factory Prime that came out.  I didn’t buy anything new from 2001 to 2008.  That first new board in 7 years was a Donek 179 Freecarve II with my first set of trench diggers.  That was certainly game changing.  The next game changer was in 2015 when I bought and rode my first metal board, the 180 Proteus, wow!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BlueB said:

I think Proteus is not supposed to be matal... 

From Donek's website:

A metal board that rides like an old glass board, but rides like a metal board. The Proteus is changing people’s opinion of what a metal board is. We have incorporated our expertise in glass and metal constructions to provide the best of both worlds in a single board.

Edited by lonbordin
It is a great board! Loved mine!

51 minutes ago, BlueB said:

I think Proteus is not supposed to be matal... 

It’s metal according to Sean, and it’s certainly quieter and smoother than most glass boards. It just has way more pop than most metal boards. I adore mine and it’s succeeding my previous favorite, a very burly glass Coiler.

When the Proteus model came out , I think I do remember having read on Donek's Website that the Proteus even had 2 sheets of Titanal...

Donek's website has changed since, and doesn't show anymore which are the differents layers of each board construction...

I may have bad memory, so if someone here riding a Proteus from the first hours could  certify this, it could correct me if I'm wrong.....

Maybe the actual building of the Proteus has also change a bit since that time.........Sean ?.........

On 2/15/2019 at 1:31 PM, RoroSnow said:

When the Proteus model came out , I think I do remember having read on Donek's Website that the Proteus even had 2 sheets of Titanal..

All metal boards should have 2 sheets of metal, 1 somewhere above and 1 somewhere below the core. Otherwise the camber will change with temperature. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jack M said:

All metal boards should have 2 sheets of metal, 1 somewhere above and 1 somewhere below the core. Otherwise the camber will change with temperature. 

I do agree jack.  What I don't exactly understand is why depending on the model, it is specified on the board description, Titanal or two sheets of Titanal....Should the lower sheet under the core be visible near the sidewall, like it is easily visible on racing skis or hidden behind it ?

14 hours ago, Jack M said:

So the actual height of the camber will be different if I measure it before going out snowboarding and if I measure it when I've just come in from snowboarding sorta thing? Or am I misunderstanding this? 

Or are you saying that my metal boards actually have 2 layers of titanal? 

Edited by daveo

4 hours ago, daveo said:

Ohhh got it. Thanks. Sorry was thinking Jack was saying they should but don't...

All the manufacturers involved in making boards for racing and serious freecarving use two layers. (Donek, Coiler, Prior, Kessler, Sg, Oxess, F2, etc). There are some board and ski makers who don’t. 

13 hours ago, RoroSnow said:

I do agree jack.  What I don't exactly understand is why depending on the model, it is specified on the board description, Titanal or two sheets of Titanal....Should the lower sheet under the core be visible near the sidewall, like it is easily visible on racing skis or hidden behind it ?

I have never noticed the lower sheet being visible. I assume it is between the edges.

The human aspect; since carving is such a mental game:  If i see someone carving a clean line on a icy/steep/narrow trail(for me); I will attempt it.  
Find you self a carving buddy.  Someone just as passionate about carving/snowboarding and hunger for improvement as you.  Pushing/encourage each other beyond the comfort zone have been a game changer.

• Like 3

This forum. I was this close >< to quitting snowboarding altogether when I found Bomber by accident. Then I tried hardbooting and fell in love. 

Then I got good tips & advice here. 

Then I read about all the fun at the Aspen sessions and made the trek. That sunk the hook deep and expanded my horizons. 

• Like 4

So.....a bit of an update on the quest for the best working stuff and to share a bit of 'game changing' equipment info.

As I stated in a previous post I switched from TD2's to Sidewinders this year and liked the results but it made me wonder what else might be gained by going to the F2 Ti bindings. Knowing that pretty much every World Cup racer uses the F2 (or a derivative) and the fact that a few in this thread called the F2 a game changer made me put my money where my mouth so I ordered a set from Donek and rode them yesterday for the first time.

After setting up the Bomber SW's the F2's feel like they are made by Mattel. But the set up is very simple and easy. One nice thing is that they weigh just a bit less than 2 lbs less for the pair than the SW. The carpet test in my living room showed that they moved MUCH more than the SW....and frankly it was a bit disconcerting to watch them move so much laterally. I felt a bit skeptical to be honest.

I clipped in and skated through the liftline and had trouble skating accurately because the boot moves sideways and levers the board up less. Feeling more skeptical I get off the lift, clip in and take a short road around to a good groomer that I know well. At low speeds they remind me of using a binding plate....subtle lateral knee movements do less to the board edge angle and it all feels a bit vague. Skeptical again.

I got out on a wonderful run and did a few easy turns before diving in hard and when it did it all made sense. The edge hold is so damn good while at the same time I was softer and more relaxed. After a few runs I felt totally at home with them. The word that kept popping into my head was 'damp'. They just don't transfer the violent motion to the feet. With the SW I had to be careful and super delicate when landing hop carves on the steeps so that I didn't bounce/rattle the board on the hard snow but with the F2 I could just toss it, stomp it down and ride away with no risk of chatter.

I had feared that the F2's lateral softness would allow my lower legs to move around a lot and I suppose that is possible. But after riding them I learned that just the opposite happens....the lower legs hold their alignment because the board is allowed to move around down there without it yanking the leg around. Different sides of the same coin I guess.

I just ordered a second set for my other board. Make of that what you will.

Thanks for reading -

Dave

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, David Kirk said:

I had feared that the F2's lateral softness would allow my lower legs to move around a lot and I suppose that is possible. But after riding them I learned that just the opposite happens....the lower legs hold their alignment because the board is allowed to move around down there without it yanking the leg around. Different sides of the same coin I guess.

Thanks Dave, interesting stuff. Just for a bit of context, what boot size and weight are you?

@David Kirk's experience is a valuable one I guess everyone who uses bomber bindings could benefit from. Back when I ordered my first Coiler, BV basically said the same thing as what @David Kirk has said and urged me to get F2 bindings. Never tried Bomber bindings and glad I didn't. F2 for life!

One thing, depending on how tight you do them, they can get quite stiff! I suspect yours might be just slightly loose or I'm underestimating just how stiff bombers actually are. 

Edited by daveo