Note to New Members ×

Game changing equipment

jng

My first coiler, was a 190 that was wide like 205..... awesome! 

Cateks! Allowed me to figure out what I like for canting pretty fast.

kessler SL, wow! 

Coiler BXFR, all the trimmings of BX board but with a tighter sidecut and a more friendly flex pattern. Goes anywhere, does anything and carves like an SL deck if I do choose.

The Coiler 180 didn't get ridden much after 2012 because work took me to Florida, and up until then I had alternated it with a couple of Oxygen SL boards, but even a ten year old board should have broken down more than that one  had. Bruce took a look at it in 2012 at ECES and was kinda stunned at how strong the camber still was. Practically no edges left at all, and beginning to bevel at the tail, but still plenty of pop. Adapted well to  lowrider plate, too.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 6:46 PM, HillB said:

I used to ride the 6/ 3 set up on Bombers. The f2s will come with a large block, so use that as the 6 and stack for the 3s. You'll figure it out when you get them.  Don't be afraid to get the Kesslers; they are rebranded F2s.

22 hours ago, David Kirk said:

Do you mean I might not get exactly those angles but i could get close?

dave

Like HillB said in her post, she used to ride the same lift set up as you on TDs. She is happy on F2s with the lifts and cants that come with it. My understanding is the large block is not quite 6* though, so if you have to have 6*, you might need to stack a couple of opposing cant wedges on top of the large lift block. I would assume your general lift/cant preferences will be similar on the F2s, but not necessarily the exact degrees. F2 has the benefit of 1.5* changes by stacking two opposing cant wedges. 

• Like 1

My progression with equipment might be a bit different that most.

I started riding in 1979 and have been riding in hardboots most of that time. I moved from New York state to Montana in 1999 and went from carving full time to riding steeps and chutes and powder most of the time. I was the supervisor of our local snowboard school and gave countless clinics to instructors teaching them to ride and teach better. I rode hard boots on a Tanker 187 and got my level III cert in 1.5 seasons. My carving gear was a few race room Rossi handmade race boards with TD2's and Raichle 325's but it wasn't used much.

I then started my own business and then broke my back (cycling) and my snowboard days became very rare. Bouncing around off the groomed made my body very unhappy.

Years passed and I realized I could still get out and ride if I stayed on the groomers. I got stronger and more limber and my back was fine with carving. So I got my old gear out and was having fun but knew that things hard progressed in a big way and that I wanted new equipment.

The first thing I bought was a Kessler 185 and it opened my eyes very wide. It was so much better connected and damp and softer than the Rossi's I'd been riding it was all suddenly easy. It was the first game changer. I then bought some new boots (stiffer Raichles) and life was pretty good. This was last year.

This year I bought a custom Kessler 168. It's by far the shortest race board I've ever used (boards had ranged from 181 - 195) and I was a little skeptical about the length but Hans Kessler told me it would be great so I trusted him and he was of course right - it's flat out awesome. Being able to carve hard on narrow trails or narrow grooming or on a crowded weekend was great. I also found it to be a real teaching tool. It will mimic the same movements used on the longer boards at lower, and less risky, speeds. I find it gives better feedback on what is working (or isn't) compared to any other board I've used.

And then early this year dredman visited and we made turns together and watching how much better he and his equipment were at dealing with terrain was a revelation. He was using Sidewinders and BTS on his boots. He generously lent me a pair of bindings to try and I gave my credit card a workout and bought two pair of the SW's and a set of the BTS springs. I think the bindings are better but it was not a day and night thing....but the BTS opened up so much new stuff to me it was shocking. I'd been riding my boots locked and did my best to muscle through terrain and managed OK but the BTS were a massive game changer.

At first I was just getting jacked around less using the springs passively....then I started using the springs actively and the ability to weight the edge and dive in super deep was so much better and I could absorb terrain. I'm so happy with the BTS and can't imagine riding without them now. I notice my ability to ride the steepest groomed stuff I can find is so much better. It's like the whole hill got easier. Awesome stuff.

So...two Kessler, new bindings and the BTS and I'm totally smitten. Today, based on the feedback in this thread, I pulled the trigger on a pair of F2 bindings and I'm guessing that they may be another big leap.

Thanks for reading.

dave

• Like 4

1 hour ago, David Kirk said:

My progression with equipment might be a bit different that most.

I started riding in 1979 and have been riding in hardboots most of that time. I moved from New York state to Montana in 1999 and went from carving full time to riding steeps and chutes and powder most of the time. I was the supervisor of our local snowboard school and gave countless clinics to instructors teaching them to ride and teach better. I rode hard boots on a Tanker 187 and got my level III cert in 1.5 seasons. My carving gear was a few race room Rossi handmade race boards with TD2's and Raichle 325's but it wasn't used much.

I then started my own business and then broke my back (cycling) and my snowboard days became very rare. Bouncing around off the groomed made my body very unhappy.

Years passed and I realized I could still get out and ride if I stayed on the groomers. I got stronger and more limber and my back was fine with carving. So I got my old gear out and was having fun but knew that things hard progressed in a big way and that I wanted new equipment.

The first thing I bought was a Kessler 185 and it opened my eyes very wide. It was so much better connected and damp and softer than the Rossi's I'd been riding it was all suddenly easy. It was the first game changer. I then bought some new boots (stiffer Raichles) and life was pretty good. This was last year.

This year I bought a custom Kessler 168. It's by far the shortest race board I've ever used (boards had ranged from 181 - 195) and I was a little skeptical about the length but Hans Kessler told me it would be great so I trusted him and he was of course right - it's flat out awesome. Being able to carve hard on narrow trails or narrow grooming or on a crowded weekend was great. I also found it to be a real teaching tool. It will mimic the same movements used on the longer boards at lower, and less risky, speeds. I find it gives better feedback on what is working (or isn't) compared to any other board I've used.

And then early this year dredman visited and we made turns together and watching how much better he and his equipment were at dealing with terrain was a revelation. He was using Sidewinders and BTS on his boots. He generously lent me a pair of bindings to try and I gave my credit card a workout and bought two pair of the SW's and a set of the BTS springs. I think the bindings are better but it was not a day and night thing....but the BTS opened up so much new stuff to me it was shocking. I'd been riding my boots locked and did my best to muscle through terrain and managed OK but the BTS were a massive game changer.

At first I was just getting jacked around less using the springs passively....then I started using the springs actively and the ability to weight the edge and dive in super deep was so much better and I could absorb terrain. I'm so happy with the BTS and can't imagine riding without them now. I notice my ability to ride the steepest groomed stuff I can find is so much better. It's like the whole hill got easier. Awesome stuff.

So...two Kessler, new bindings and the BTS and I'm totally smitten. Today, based on the feedback in this thread, I pulled the trigger on a pair of F2 bindings and I'm guessing that they may be another big leap.

Thanks for reading.

dave

I just snagged some SG f2s, hopefully I like them better than the f2 titaniums which I have issues with. 

Many things for me over the years, biggest of which is this forum (and previous versions of it) . I think the first equipment though was boots that fit/ going to a boot fitter and getting proper insoles. After that, or roughly the same time, upgrading from td1s to TD3s. So much more adjustability with them I finally had the capability of adjusting my stance to be comfortable and carve worthy. 

After that it was a lot of trial and error, but help from good people on the forums was amazing, some specific thanks to @Beckmann AGand @Corey. They helped to get stance cleared up and provided general carving tips, either directly or indirectly. 

From there it was a board made within the last 15 years, specifically, a custom coiler nirvana. I only had it a couple days before I had my first group meet up in Tahoe for TTC. Learned a lot there, but still more to learn! 

The latest thing that has helped are gecko plates, they really do make a noticeable difference in how carvable a choppy run is. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Buell said:

Generally Race Titanium. BlueB likes CarveRS for freeriding 

IMHO you either have to be on the lighter side OR ride really soft conditions OR have a lotta' faith in plastics to ride the CarveRS.  

I have a pair of CarveRS and they're on my soft setup.

1.  The Kessler Alpine.  I tried a friend's 185 up at Mt. Hood in 2014, and it was a revelation.  All of a sudden I was pulling through sketchy heelside turns that I would have to bail on with my older Prior.   The 185 was little too much board for me, and too stiff (I'm 165 lb.) so I when I got home ordered a 171.  It still lets me get away with murder without wiping out, but is hair more flexible and handier in tight spaces.  It's so damp and solid that I don't even use a plate -- excellent for carving the bumpy ice that passes for snow here in the east. 

Edited by darko714
oh, it's not equipment

3 minutes ago, darko714 said:

.......so I when I got home ordered a 171.  It still lets me get away with murder without wiping out, but is hair more flexible and handier in tight spaces.  It's so damp and solid that I don't even use a plate -- excellent for carving the bumpy ice that passes for snow here in the east. 

I also like the Kessler's ability to drift and slarve predictably, which makes it a safe choice for crowded intermediate runs as well as narrow, icy black diamonds. 

Nice! The 171 is a nice board for lighter weight riders that is often overlooked. I had one for a bit and hand flexing it, I thought it was too soft for me. Turned out it had plenty of backbone for me and showed no signs of being too soft on the snow.

1 hour ago, lonbordin said:

IMHO you either have to be on the lighter side OR ride really soft conditions OR have a lotta' faith in plastics to ride the CarveRS.  

I have a pair of CarveRS and they're on my soft setup.

185 lbs here... I really abuse my RS and Proflex bindings, big jumps included. The only part of the F2/Proflex/Blax family of bindings that I ever managed to brake was the rear bail and that one was of the older, thinner variety and abused by a racer before me. 

I did break several boards while using the plastic bindings mentioned above... 

3 minutes ago, BlueB said:

185 lbs here... I really abuse my RS and Proflex bindings, big jumps included. The only part of the F2/Proflex/Blax family of bindings that I ever managed to brake was the rear bail and that one was of the older, thinner variety and abused by a racer before me. 

I did break several boards while using the plastic bindings mentioned above... 

We've found a man of faith.