Note to New Members ×

Montucky Clear CUT Daily Rub In... wish you were here.

dredman

14 hours ago, Gabe T said:

Nice!  Given the rider to terrain ratio,  are you able to find fresh lines on every run?  About how many runs can you get in there?

You'll cross others' tracks, but you can still find stashes of untouched snow for 2-3 turns at the end of the day. Venture into the trees and there's even more. 

I haven't counted runs, but my legs are telling me I should have done about 3 less per day. 😉 

Thanks to multiple people for the pow & tree tips and the motivation to push myself! It's awesome to watch smooth and powerful riders in the powder. 

Groom tomorrow! 😃

@dredman for President! 

• Like 2

On 2/13/2019 at 7:32 AM, Gabe T said:

Nice!  Given the rider to terrain ratio,  are you able to find fresh lines on every run?  About how many runs can you get in there?

I had over 20 runs on Tuesday and another 20 on Wednesday. Had a fresh line every run. Day 4 and the legs are starting to wish for groomers. Heli trips don't offer this much vertical a day. 

IMAG2864.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, snowwjob1 said:

Day 4 and the legs are starting to wish for groomers

Tell us about your pain... 🙄

I'm going to bet there's a lot more threads about what makes a good powder setup in the near future. 

I feel for those who just showed up with their 168 Kessler. :smashfrea

On 2/13/2019 at 7:32 AM, Gabe T said:

You can probably click off three runs an hour if you try.  I had 14 runs both Monday and Tuesday, with time for lunch and farting around.  Doing 30K - 35K of powder puts it in heli-skiing territory.  You would be lucky to get half that in a day of cat-skiing.

Even after two days of our group beating on the fresh powder, there were good lines to be found in the trees.  Not track free, but still what I'd call a powder run.  You can see for yourself.  I switched on the GoPro for last run on Thursday.  Here's the raw clip; top to bottom. 

Edited by johnasmo
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Great video, John! Is that a Hovercraft you’re rocking there?

Yes.  160 Jones Hovercraft.  I considered selling it because I found myself choosing another board (Nidecker Megalight) for 4 - 6 inch snowfalls, or after the big dumps are all cut up.  But for deep and fresh, the Hovercraft is a blast.  After this week at Turner, it's earned a permanent spot in the quiver.

He found almost the tightest tress on the hill just to scare off those who think they want to learn to ski trees.  First time I haven't been able to track out a mountain days after a storm. The lifties said we did a good job but didn't hit most of their stashes. Oh ya  NEVER Trust a carver on a powder gun to show you the trees when your on a 18mm wide board.  Just go mach 2 to start it to float and they are just baby trees(10" dia.)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

What tight trees? He never had to grab a branch to turn even once 😉  Nicely done, John. 

The Turner Crew has spent a lot of time trimming branches 10-15’ up for great glade riding. It was awesome to say the least.

THANK YOU Turner Mtn! The LCI will be back next year. 

Ink

Edited by inkaholic
  • Like 4

The trees look fabulous.  Much better lines for speed than the snaky lines here at Big Sky.  Pow at the end of the day looks like 1/2 an hour after opening chair here too.  More than a bit JEALOUS.

Let's see some of those Powder Boards with Hardboots, Please.

Looking forward to see Redman and Crew in April.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johnasmo said:

Inkaholic, I think I sold you that board!  I recognized the top sheet when I saw it outside the lodge.  It was used when I got it too.  Sean made them to last.  Like the mod you did.

John,

You actually sold the board to Dustin (D.T.) and he passed it on to me. Definitely built to last. 

Ink

Edited by inkaholic

On 2/14/2019 at 6:53 AM, lonbordin said:

I'm going to bet there's a lot more threads about what makes a good powder setup in the near future. 

I feel for those who just showed up with their 168 Kessler. :smashfrea

the  light weight and super tali tips of the 27yr old grocer(1st gen 24.5 wide 184overall 136ee around 9m scr) with burton stepin race binding for spring loaded forgiveness, floated better than any thing else I tried, and worked fine switch

Edited by b0ardski
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, b0ardski said:

the  light weight and super tali tips of the 27yr old grocer(1st gen 24.5 wide 184overall 136ee around 9m scr) with burton stepin race binding for spring loaded forgiveness, floated better than any thing else I tried, and worked fine switch

You mean one of these?

s-l1000.jpg

Because I own one of those! :biggthump

no mine is narrower 24.8 and has way taller, narrower,longer tips, your's is 2nd gen and a bit heavier more like 26 wide with traditional tips

4298952266_096d3b2e47_o.jpg

near the same effective edge as the 173x25 Identity next to it, wish

i had the matching doughboy

Edited by b0ardski