Note to New Members ×

Donek Proteus 175 - SOLD

skidad62

SOLD

Donek Proteus 175.  20cm waist, 12 m sidecut. 

Has probably 50-60 days on it in total - used part of the 2015 season by Jack Michaud then I borrowed it - fell in love with it and never gave it back 🙂.  Was my primary board in 2016 & 2018,  but it sat out the whole 2017 year with me due to an achilles rupture.

I love the Proteus - it has great edge hold and energy transfer - love how well it finishes its turns.  Only selling it as I'm reducing the quiver as I've added a Kessler 168.

Well maintained, and in good shape - a few marks on the top sheet - largest one shown in one of the pics.  Only cosmetic in nature not structural.  I've never had the base ground.  1*-base , 2*-side bevels.  

This board retails for $1175.   Donek Website - Proteus

7CA46929-3287-4F56-B507-9576B380C813_zps

25A23E25-2192-4E67-90FD-4EB060CEA280_zps

471E4109-940E-466B-B460-7EFFE7E50018_zps

C5535D0D-0313-4342-B510-7793A95B77CA_zps

8615FA8F-ED94-4AC6-BB32-17420D94FA8D_zps

FD97BEBF-B6B2-484E-8A00-DDE859C0152F_zps

Here was Jack's summary of the board from another thread.... "The Proteus 175 was a great balance of lively and damp, definitely an energetic board.  The 12m single radius sidecut (actually parabolic) was turny and liked to finish turns."

Here's the board description from the Donek website -

"Mind-blowing edge hold with an explosive pop!

A metal board that rides like an old glass board, but rides like a metal board. The Proteus is changing people’s opinion of what a metal board is. We have incorporated our expertise in glass and metal constructions to provide the best of both worlds in a single board. Riders have asked for it and we have delivered.

The Proteus is a carving machine designed for the expert rider who likes a board that gives back everything you give it. If you like a turn that ends with an explosion of energy launching you through the air and into the next, this is one is for you. We have incorporated the latest in metal construction and shaping with a fixed radius sidecut to give you exactly what you have been dreaming of."

Edited by skidad62
SOLD

Beautiful board and I may be interested. This season, I’ve finally been hitting the mtn on a regular basis and need to get more serious about my gear. I just picked up some Deeluxe boots and BTS bindings, but haven’t yet upgraded my vintage Burton Asym. I’ve definitely maxed out the ability of the board and while it’s still fun, I am ready to start improving again. I have an aggressive riding style and like to make short snappy turns and lay down the euro when conditions are prime. The Asym board is almost entirely incapable of making big fast turns in nearly any condition and I fee this is what I’m craving. I was checking out the Donek Freecarve as a fun all around carving board, but I’m intrigued about your Proteus. I’m 6’2, 175 and wear 28.5 mondo. My local Mtn is Sun Valley, so we have wide open, steep slopes as well as fun narrow bowl groomers. Most winters, our snow is pretty firm—not icy, but very dense boilerplate machine groomed. Does this bird have enough dampness to hold an edge in hard conditions? Also, does the board require a ton of speed to carve? Sorry for the long response, in this sport there are few opportunities to try out gear before purchasing . Cheers

On 2/8/2019 at 8:39 PM, blahblah said:

Beautiful board and I may be interested. This season, I’ve finally been hitting the mtn on a regular basis and need to get more serious about my gear. I just picked up some Deeluxe boots and BTS bindings, but haven’t yet upgraded my vintage Burton Asym. I’ve definitely maxed out the ability of the board and while it’s still fun, I am ready to start improving again. I have an aggressive riding style and like to make short snappy turns and lay down the euro when conditions are prime. The Asym board is almost entirely incapable of making big fast turns in nearly any condition and I fee this is what I’m craving. I was checking out the Donek Freecarve as a fun all around carving board, but I’m intrigued about your Proteus. I’m 6’2, 175 and wear 28.5 mondo. My local Mtn is Sun Valley, so we have wide open, steep slopes as well as fun narrow bowl groomers. Most winters, our snow is pretty firm—not icy, but very dense boilerplate machine groomed. Does this bird have enough dampness to hold an edge in hard conditions? Also, does the board require a ton of speed to carve? Sorry for the long response, in this sport there are few opportunities to try out gear before purchasing . Cheers

The Proteus is great on hardpack and mixed conditions.  Fantastic edge hold.  

Has a great predictable nature with the single 12 M side cut radius.  

Does not need big speed to carve but will handle the steeps and speed with ease.  Lots of pop and energy in the board.   I have 29.5 mondo boots and had no issues with the generous 20.0mm waist width.   

It lays down a great carve 

will post up a couple of pics shortly

17 hours ago, barryj said:

Hey Ski Daddy

Interested-

What rider weight range is the 175 made for?   How would you differentiate  the ride to your  K168? 

Not set for a specific weight range Jack who ordered it was about 185 I believe... I’m more than that and it has great dampness and energy at the same time  

The Proteus has a nice predictable turn radius with the single side cut.   Lots of pop and energy in both. 

The Kessler has the Clothoid sidecut with the variable nature - still figuring it out.   

Edited by skidad62

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, FLYERZ said:

SkiDad,

Proteus just came in and is better than expected.  Thank you.  Going to bring it out to Alpine Meadows tomorrow.  I think it will enjoy Cali.  It was a pleasure doing a transaction with you.

Cheers,

Eric

Hey Eric - always great to hear!  You're gonna love it - awesome board.  Enjoy!