Note to New Members ×

Burton to license Step-On system

lonbordin

what a stinking pile o' hype, now I know why the "stepins suck" campaign several years ago cleared the market. no license from burton (soup nazi voice) NO STEPONS FOR YOU

For the ones out there, who are thinking “what the hell is a step on binding,” which you probably shouldn’t considering they’ve been on the market already for over a year, let us give you a short briefing. It is exactly what it sounds like, a binding you simply need to step into and that’s that, no strapping in. More than six years ago Burton had this idea of designing a boot and binding combination that saves us the energy and time of strapping in, and the outcome was the Step On bindings, which are both comfortable and technically impressive.

“DC Shoes is to be the first brand to license Step On technology in collaboration with Burton”

Until now, Burton has been the only brand on the market providing us with the Step On bindings and boots, but they would like to see it become the standard for the non-strap-based boot/bindings system,....

....Well, as DC was founded upon the principle of challenging the status quo, what better way to continue this challenge by partnering up with Burton on their progressive ideal? DC seem to be stoked on being the first brand out there taking on this opportunity to expand their offering.

Progressive ideal????? I saw device stepins in like '96 my wife had a set for teaching, I think they are still out in the shed, I should get a picture.

Edited by b0ardski
  • Like 1

here's some more been there done that;

the originals

s-l1600.jpg

on ebay now, these are like the ones becki has, simple sturdy easy to use

s-l1600.jpg

If we could just get boots; like these waaaay better than burton SI (becki still uses),clickers, switch, osin,(prefer toe heel locking points over side/side)

from TWS, 20 yrs ago

Ride’s latest retooling of the Device system has upped its step-in stock immensely. By employing the simple suggestion the company’d heard since the system came out, a cutaway was made in the back of the highback to provide a visual confirmation of engagement.

To engage, hook the toe clip on the bar, then the heel slides into place with a natural downward motion. The more forward lean, however, the harder it is to hit the sweet spot because the heel spur sometimes hangs up on the top of the highback.

Once in, the highback is as supportive as a traditional setup, and the interface feels solid while riding. Afterall, the Device system was the first step-in to go with an external highback-first by years.

Ride’s SE is mostly clog-free, but the mechanism can miscue, making you think you’re in when you’re not. Thankfully, the cutaway in the highback allows you to see if the heel spur is truly in without straining. Don’t judge an entry just by its sound-the second, more crucial “click” is hard to hear.

The mounting disks were well thought-out, but the highbacks could definitely be refined to fit more closely to the boots. The release is a one-hander and fairly unproblematic.

this was about the time quicksilver bought K2, and then Ride

Edited by b0ardski

2 hours ago, b0ardski said:

For the ones out there, who are thinking “what the hell is a step on binding,” ... It is exactly what it sounds like, a binding you simply need to step into and that’s that, no strapping in. ...

But doesn't "Step On" sound exactly like a binding which you step on, not one you step into? Of perhaps the word "exactly" is being used in a post-truth way?

If "white lines" can't be bothered to write their own copy, they could at least proof reading the press releases they're blithely publishing.
Wankers.

Does Whitelines really think a boot in a different colour is "challenging the status quo"? What a sad reflection on them. There was a time when snowboarding actually did challenge the status quo, but not by changing the colour of our boots. Wankers. Oh, I said that already.

• Like 2

Why all the negative nannys? 

So what if this was done before? Does their system work? Do people like it? I know of at least two people who love it.

I'd give Burton kudos for doing SOMETHING to improve how sucky it is to bend over and strap in. 

p.s. I haven't seen any other system with the "teeth" on the side. So maybe they did innovate on something.

8 hours ago, JRAZZ said:

Because where Burton goes, others follow. Burton made step ins unfashionable when they gave up the SI system. We missed out on twenty years of Step in development. Step ins should have evolved into great boot/binding systems. Instead we have the new Burton Step On system which seems to be a lot less reliable than the system they gave up on twenty years ago. And it still has a ridiculously big heel bar which restricts heel side carving. 

Edited by BobD
spelling

On 2/1/2019 at 1:46 PM, JRAZZ said:

I'd give Burton kudos for doing SOMETHING to improve how sucky it is to bend over and strap in. 

what burton did was gave up on plate bindings (europe still likes them) then actively sgaushed soft stepins all while forcing proprietary systems instead of standardizing,

I haven't bent over to strap in for 25yrs because it sucks

On 2/1/2019 at 9:46 PM, JRAZZ said:

So what if this was done before? Does their system work? Do people like it? I know of at least two people who love it.

I'd give Burton kudos for doing SOMETHING to improve how sucky it is to bend over and strap in....

Well, I'm negative about lazy reporting.

The reason for that should be obvious: if I want to read press releases, I'll visit Burton's site and read them there.

Burton's system?.. A step forward (see what I did there?) from their standard bindings,  I suppose. Their current bindings are crude and unreliable though - hardly a high bar.

Commercially Burton have little reason to invest in development of strap bindings: they already have the dominant market position. The very idea that they're likely to be a source of innovation seems unlikely - that's not how large dominant companies work. Their "progress" is more likely to be in changing the colours season-by-season, and reducing manufacturing costs, and of course investing in as much marketing dribble as needed to keep the kids buying the stuff.

I guess I'm negative about it for the opposite reason I'm positive about the Atomic Backlands. One looks like something new, the other looks like something old.

• Like 1

I still use my Rossignol SIS on softer days. I know that a lot of people made fun of it (PSR and others 🙂 ) because it works basically like a screen door latch on the bottom of the boots instep area. Rossi sourced it from Emery and the boots and bindings have been used worldwide for rental shops. My boots are stiff for softies and have held up over the years. The biggest advantage is on pow days. I've learned to step-in on the fly getting off of the lift. C-YA!

Mark

• Like 1