Note to New Members ×

Looking to try Alpine Boarding in Ontario

MikeCAD

Hello all,

New to this forum, but the community seems great!  As a little introduction, I've been snowboarding since 2014.  Recently upgraded from a K2 Playback (first snowboard), to a Ride Helix 2017 at the snowboard show in Oct 2018 and am loving it so far this season.  Typically ride MSLM and Blue, with an annual trip to Quebec.

While I'm still young, I am very interested in trying out Alpine Snowboarding; but, I am wondering if there is a way/event to try it out without committing to the equipment purchase right away.

Thank you in advance!

Haha, thanks!  That would be awesome.  Would love to come to Japan.

Been getting serious about coming in early 2020, enjoy some Japanese culture and hit some mountains.  While we're on the topic...if I were to come boarding in Japan, best hills/mountains in your opinion?

I'll try to give some advice.  I'm a poor carver but I attribute that to not enough time on the slopes...

The toughest part is getting boots.  I'm sure there are riders out there that will lend you a board that's reasonable to try out - not too long and not too stiff for a beginner.  But boots are the challenge - hard to find and expensive when new, esp if you just want to just try it out.  If you just want to get a 'feeling' for it, I think ski boots will be 'ok', but they might be an impediment for further learning as most say they are too stiff.  Otherwise you can try to buy a used pair of hardboots  like these https://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowboard/barrie/deeluxe-le-mans-alpine-snowboard-race-boot/1328509498?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true (I think $200 is a bit much for boots that old but that's me) or https://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowboard-planche-a-neige/longueuil-rive-sud/bottes-de-race-carving-alpin-raichle/1409280856?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true (if you can get them from Montreal)  - and of course if these are the right size.    If you go the ski boot root by buying a cheap used pair of borrowing a buddy's, most would suggest a cabrio design like those made by full tilt or Dalbello and/or keep the top buckles a little loose so you have some fore-aft flex.  Regardless of which root you go if you buy something used you can always resell it after obviously.

I'm going too far with this ski boot idea but I suggested to my buddy to buy a pair of these - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Icelantic-Skis-ST1-Ski-Boots-mens-size10-White/333032100886?hash=item4d8a429416:g:P2sAAOSwjthcSYyi .   These First degree boots aren't made anymore I don't think, but they are ski boots that were made from a snowboard boot mould.  I own a pair of these and use them for skiing as well - although I can;t comment on their ski performance, they've been fine for me  (I own a pair of Deeluxe Track 700s also).  They are still not a perfect solution for a few reasons, but my buddy also foresees trying out skiing. 

I'm not sure if Bruce Varsava of Coiler is attending any local events - you might contact him and ask him.  His shop is pretty close to MSLM.  Bruce lent me a carver for me for a day or two a few years back - even loaned me the bindings -  but I invested in the boots first.  I ended up buying a couple of custom boards from him.  Bruce is awesome.    

My final 2 cents -  if you think you will like it, then you will.  You just might have to give it time that you might not get by just 'trying' it;  its taken me way longer than I thought it would have to get to where I am.  But apparently the carve is what interests you, otherwise you wouldn't have considered this at all -  and when you start laying down trenches, its quite fulfilling.
You can PM me if you want to ask me anymore questions.

Gerry