Note to New Members ×

Surveillance capitalism - you're being watched

SunSurfer

'The goal is to automate us': welcome to the age of surveillance capitalism

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/jan/20/shoshana-zuboff-age-of-surveillance-capitalism-google-facebook?

Even as you read this you and your data are being harvested, processed, and sold.

A new and thought provoking book from a professor at the Harvard Business School.

"Once we searched Google, but now Google searches us"

dystopian wonderland in the palm of your hand.

ever tried to shut off all the apps in your phone that "require" access to cam/mic/text/location/contacts/biometrics?? they turn themselves back on.

the ultimate spy device in your pocket it aint yours. My new data harvester does it all in ultra high def, and I pay them a lot for the privilege.

I read the review, not the book. She seems terribly confused, for example:

In my early fieldwork in the computerising offices and factories of the late 1970s and 80s, I discovered the duality of information technology: its capacity to automate but also to “informate”, which I use to mean to translate things, processes, behaviours, and so forth into information.  This duality set information technology apart from earlier generations of technology: information technology produces new knowledge territories by virtue of its informating capability, always turning the world into information.

"informating"? 

I guess in the US people are getting used to stuff which makes no sense, but I don't think I'd buy a book written by someone who talks like that. Unless she uses Trump's ghost writer, I suppose 😉

i grew up in Maryland, very near Ft Meade/NSA.      and mass/global surveillance of any kind  (echelon, omnivore, carnivore) has always been a part of my memory and been accepted as a fact of life by virtually everyone i know (from this area).   sadly, i should add.

i came to realize that i really do live in the D.C. bubble when the Domestic Surveillance Program that supposedly came out of the Patriot Act was met with such shock and surprise, publicly.

that so much of the same is now commercialized seems normal to me.  sadly.

5 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

@philwshe's trying to describe something not seen before. Bending the shape and meaning of words we already use is not inappropriate.

It's obviously written by someone who is out of touch regarding "information technology" but insists on writing about it. I come in contact with this kind a fair bit.

The word she is looking for is "analyse" or maybe "parse". Data input -> analyse -> info output. :smashfrea

"informate”, which I use to mean to translate things, processes, behaviours, and so forth into information....... Lol!