Note to New Members ×

Catamount vs Butternut

Kmf

Looking to try someplace different to carve and a place for my girl to practice her snowboarding (beginner).

What are the thoughts on one vs the other as far as carving for me and beginner practice/lessons for her? 

Looking to go midweek

thanks

I was at Catamount a few weeks ago for the first time and I liked it a lot. i think the trails are much better suited to carving than those at Butternut. (I've been there a lot over the years.) Each one has a good beginner area.  

Catamount tickets online are $20, $38 at the door. M-Th

Butternut is $25 Mon-Fri

I'd go to Catamount.

Catamount has much more demanding terrain and several really good carving trails with one short run good for doing laps quite close to the base area. Butternut's beginner area is probably better for an absolute beginner because the slope is gentle and very short (and Will Ketchum is the best loader in the world and he works the beginner lift).

There isn't much else in the area now that Bousquet (excellent little hill for carving) is closed. Jiminy Peak is OK but from Ct you'd be better off driving a little further to Berkshire East or Mt Snow.

• 1 month later...

I was at Butternut this past Tuesday after not riding there for about 20 years and was very pleased.  The snow was in great condition after the storm and the groomers did an excellent job making it smooth.  The  terrain there is indeed mellower then what I typically ride but the trails have lots of mounds and undulations that make it very fun to play around on a small board.  The lift ticket price is only $25 midweek so there is a lot of appeal there too.  I will definitely be back!